Chairman or chairperson?

(28 Posts)
OrlandoWoolf Sat 30-Nov-13 13:21:38

What do you use?

DS has been asked to find the plural of Chairman and I feel it could be a teaching tool.

Chairmen? Chairpeople?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SconeRhymesWithGone Sat 30-Nov-13 14:18:40

If this is part of an English lesson, then it could be tricky depending on what the teacher is looking for.

I am in the US. Here you don't see "chairman" much at all anymore. The plural technically is, of course, chairmen. If the teacher had asked for the plural of "chairperson," the plural would be "chairpeople."

I work in a setting where we have committees and more committees and several boards of directors. We use "chair" and "chairs" and sometimes "co-chairs."

TheDoctrineOfWho Sat 30-Nov-13 15:58:41

The plural of Chairman is Chairmen.

I use Chair, or Non-ExecChair/ExecChair where poss.

EduCated Sat 30-Nov-13 15:59:53

We just use Chair at work, so would use Chairs.

mousmous Sat 30-Nov-13 16:08:10

we use chair at work.
but for a very official work thing chairman is used. I always change it o chairwoman if applicable as it rankles me. no one has commented on it (yet).

Takver Sat 30-Nov-13 16:16:00

I was going to say 'facilitator', which seems to be the descriptor of choice these days in meetings I go to, but I see that won't help grin

I think the answer has to be 'chairmen', but would be discussing with my ds why this is an outdated word.

TheSmallClanger Sat 30-Nov-13 16:29:28

We use Chair and Chairs.

I like the expression, "The Chair". It sounds suitably intimidating.

OrlandoWoolf Sat 30-Nov-13 16:52:54

We also have clergyman.

So going to have a chat with DS about this. He's 8.

EduCated Sat 30-Nov-13 17:44:05

Surely that would just be 'the clergy'? They seem an odd bunch of words!

OrlandoWoolf Sat 30-Nov-13 17:57:23

You're not kidding.

It will be interesting when they mark the test.

Takver Sat 30-Nov-13 18:02:08

I would agree with educated that the plural of clergyman is 'clergy'. Perhaps that is the point being made? That you have one clergyman or clergywoman, but many clergy? (at least I don't, good thing as I have no naice tea nor thin biscuits, but one might)

WilsonFrickett Sat 30-Nov-13 18:05:41

Chairs and clergy. And a nice note to the teacher saying you enjoyed helping DD find non-gendered plurals not that I'm PA, not me, no way

TheDoctrineOfWho Sat 30-Nov-13 18:16:05

I like your style, WF.

sashh Sun 01-Dec-13 07:55:35

I think 'chair' is quite common now.

Personally I see no reason why a woman cannot be a chairman, we are after all women not wopersons.

And men who become midwives are still midwives not midhusbands.

Giyadas Sun 01-Dec-13 09:59:29

Maybe we should revert back to calling men 'wermen' then man can go back to meaning human being. If only things were that easy.

GoldieMumbles Sun 01-Dec-13 17:56:22

Isn't a chair a piece of furniture that you sit on?

TheDoctrineOfWho Sun 01-Dec-13 18:00:30

Yes, but it's also a verb - eg Susan chaired the meeting.

TeiTetua Sun 01-Dec-13 19:19:25

I think we should stick with "chairman" so that we can continue to enjoy hearing someone else in the meeting addressing her as "Madam chairman".

ChunkyPickle Sun 01-Dec-13 19:52:52

sashh - I know that I've seen on here that the wife bit of mid wife refers to the woman giving birth, not the midwife themselves, so midwife is non-gendered anyhow (at least until men can give birth)

Definitely Chairs, and Clergy - MIL works in local government and they all use 'Chair' rather than 'Chairman'

PigletJohn Sun 01-Dec-13 20:12:49

if it is 8-yo DS homework, surely they are testing to see if he says "Chairmans?"

and not to examine awareness of gender-specific titles.

NoComet Sun 01-Dec-13 20:18:24

I don't care!

The astronomy society at university got so pissed off with PC edicts from the Guild of students, we decided to have a chairbeing. We had make and female ones while I was there.

NoComet Sun 01-Dec-13 20:19:25

male not make

OrlandoWoolf Sun 01-Dec-13 20:33:24

piglet Never too young to make a feminist point

sashh Mon 02-Dec-13 15:31:43

ChunkyPickle

I didn't know that, thank you.

What happens in other languages? Is it even an issue? I mean if you are a teacher in France you are Le Proffesor regardless of sex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now