BBC Sports Personality of the year - the shortlist

(149 Posts)

Announced yesterday - 10 men, 2 women. Now is it me or is that a woefully poor number of women on the shortlist? Last year there were 5. In 2011 there was a fuss about the all male list and a BBC statement said "The current system was introduced in 2006 and at least two women have always previously been shortlisted for the main award" So the system was changed and this year, the second year it's been in operation two women have been shortlisted.....is that the minimum they reckon they can get away with hmm

From memort I think the women's cricket team had a successful ashes too - but no nomination for one of the team there. Who would you want to have see nominated?

Sausageeggbacon Wed 27-Nov-13 13:50:04

Big, the coverage of Ladies cricket has reasonable punditry usually one former lady cricketer and one of the regular sky sports men's commentators. The coverage has got better if you have sky and the games are improving. Disappointing that there are so few fast bowlers and most teams seem to really on spin (two boys come in handy sometimes). Even with shortened boundaries the lack of sixes also lessens the enjoyment factor when compared to twenty20 say.

Football has struggled because of the funding but the skill levels have improved greatly over the last few years. However the game has issues. Pundits have been okay for football although the cliches are worse.

Rugby was change if/when 7's becomes a fixture at the olympics. But I was so disappointed when over 75,000 people declined to watch a free match. Standards are not there yet but with effort could be. As I was at the game no idea what the coverage was like.

Sky has had very good coverage of the netball both in terms of league and internationals. Commentary obviously is from all women teams.

Upthejunction1 Wed 27-Nov-13 14:04:45

If there are two things certain in your adult life..tax n death..

This my friends is a 3rd, not very often you would say it.
But unless ANDY MURRAY, is a surprise arrest on some nasty charges between now and December 22nd, the topic of who will WIN, should not be up for discussion,,the bookmakers are that sure they won't even quote odds.

scallopsrgreat Wed 27-Nov-13 14:22:49

I wasn't aware I did put words in your mouth Biggedy confused

scallopsrgreat Wed 27-Nov-13 14:31:54

There are still structural inequalities that make women's sport less attractive than men's sport. Those need to be tackled before anything will change significantly. Although as Sausage says things are getting better.

Mind you I had a friend of mine who did an unofficial survey of the Telegraph sports section over a period of time and there were more pictures of horses than women.

AnAdventureInCakeAndWine Wed 27-Nov-13 14:33:56

blush I only watched half of the women's game, Sausageeggbacon, because it was really cold and the kids were whinging and by half-time the result didn't seem in huge doubt. If we hadn't had the DCs with us we'd have stayed until the bitter end.

I'd really like to see female current and former rugby players doing general punditry duty on television. There was a time after the women's world cup in 2010 when Maggie Alphonsi was on television quite a lot (talking about rugby in general, not just the women's game), and I thought she was great -- interesting and articulate. But then they quietly dropped her.

BuffytheElfSquisher Wed 27-Nov-13 16:05:39

One tiny change I'd like to see would be an end to calling it 'football' and 'women's football' 'rugby' and, well, you get the drift.

Reinforces the idea that there's a proper version and an also ran.

Sausageeggbacon Wed 27-Nov-13 16:36:27

CakeandWine think the reason Maggie was dropped was her injury as she stopped playing for some time. Be interesting to see what happens next year in terms of coverage from France. At least the time zone will be friendly but will we get a lot of coverage and will the viewing figures be positive depending on the coverage.

At least it's better than the year there weren't any female nominations - that was a disgrace.
We went to see the Women's semi-finals (football) last year at Wembley. Was a great match!
Paralympians of both sexes immensely inspiring I feel.
Hope award recognises this.

ivykaty44 Wed 27-Nov-13 17:16:01
CaptChaos Wed 27-Nov-13 17:19:32

The England women's rubgy union team won the 6 Nations in the last year, they also beat the world champions, the All Blacks convincingly. No nominations.

Thus it has ever been. I was on my national squad for women's rugby union, many years ago, you would struggle to find a mention of the team captain's name on the web, let along any of the stats.

Maybe the perception is that women merely 'play' sports, whereas it's terribly important to men, although my repeatedly broken nose would suggest that might be bullshit. The simple fact is that if they had, say, the captain of the female rugby team, along with a female triathlete and a few more well chosen women sports personalities, then the BBC wouldn't make any money from the phone voting and no one would watch the actual show, because, as has been pointed out above, no one cares about women in sport apart from female sportspeople.

AnAdventureInCakeAndWine Wed 27-Nov-13 17:25:31

Yeah, but male players who are injured are often more likely to turn up punditing. Unless she had an undocumented vocal cord strain that's lasted for the last three years, in which case fair enough... ;)

Lavenderhoney Wed 27-Nov-13 17:28:10

I have no idea what their personality it is like, male or female. I only watch because they are participating in a sport I am interested in. Their ability to be media friendly is irrelevant to me.

Perhaps the award should be changed to " best sports PR company of the year"

FadBook Wed 27-Nov-13 17:51:16

The England Netball team broke a world record this year with a win and it wasn't covered on Radio 1 at all, or BBC / itv news until the day after. I was furious and wrote to Newsbeat (Radio 1 news) to ask why they'd fail to report on such a significant win.

Netball is such a popular sport amongst young (and older!) women. It is covered on Sky Sports (normally sky sports 4) in detail and is good coverage but when I went to the pub to watch it (we don't have sky sports) the football was on at the same time and both channels were football. It just doesn't get the same amount of attention as football because there isn't as much money to be made.

When commenting / moaning on my Facebook about it, I had so many misogynistic responses by male friends, and equally some fantastic responses back from my (female) netball team.

Really disappointed that no one from the England Netball team have been nominated to be honest.

ivykaty44 Wed 27-Nov-13 17:53:26

yes the fact that Nom Stanford won the 2013 world championship is I guess irrelevant

RoseRedder Wed 27-Nov-13 18:03:26

Is this not just another daft awards ceremony to make money?

Surely if there is an issue they should have sportsman of the year and sportswomen of the year, like the have best soap actress and best soap actor

Out of the list TiggyD has provided, I have heard of 2

Mo Farrah and Andy Murray.

Haven't heard of the rest of (either male or female)

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 27-Nov-13 18:04:47

It is disappointing to see only two women on that list.

The only thing I will say in defence of the list is that each and every one of those people deserve to be on the list - unlike some years where they make up the numbers with some random footballers who have achieved at club level but not international.

Perhaps the shortlist needs to be made longer?

Butkin Wed 27-Nov-13 18:07:17

Paul Radcliffe won it in 2002, Kelly Holmes won it in 2004, Zara Phillips won it in 2006.

Ellen MacArthur, Beth Tweddle and Becky Adlington have been placed recently. Jess Ennis has been placed in 3 of the last 4 years..

13 women have won the award - more than football and cricket combined!

If the ladies are successful enough in any given year (this isn't life time achievement) this suggests they have a chance of being well supported.

For what it's worth I think it is a shame Non wasn't nominated as well but it has been a great year for UK sport..

I hadn't even heard of Non blush. This is all very interesting, thanks for the replies.

I agree Andy Murray will win - and rightly so - but there should still be more women on the shortlist.

ivykaty44 Wed 27-Nov-13 18:41:54

I would have liked Laura Trott to be nominated for her gold medals this year and breaking a world record this November

CuntyBunty Wed 27-Nov-13 19:03:46

I've had a coupla glarses o' wine, so I am going to say it and be damned/flamed; "Sports Personality of the Year", Isn't that an oxymoron?

And on those lines Cunty - and after a wine of my own, how can Andy Murray win Sports Personality of the Year. After he won Wimbledon I can't imagine anyone showing less personality. Am I being mean? He was probably knackered! But he should have remembered to hug his Mum a bit quicker, and done one good interview instead of a hundred pretty crap ones.
I don't really care but to me any of the paralympians showed way more spirit smile

That is I don't much care who wins the award - partly as it's always so predictable, and often goes to a racing driver which isn't even a real sport to my thinking!

RoseRedder Wed 27-Nov-13 19:38:53

Why should more women be on the shortlist?

To make it equal?

CuntyBunty Wed 27-Nov-13 19:45:55

I know, Juggling; it's like the prevalent criticism of the appearance of female news readers/female politicians. They aren't fashion models, they do the same job as the blokes, so we really should not be criticising them on appearance as it is so irrelevant. Except, because of their gender,lots of silly people think it is relevant. Sports people aren't hilarious, wise cracking, personalities; they just doing their thing and pretty insipid like most other people.

I must speak up for Andy Murray on here, "Sports Personality" shite aside, because we are on the feminism board; Andy Murray did correct himself from saying "girls" of his female colleagues and replaced it with "women" instead this summer. <grateful for small, but public mercies/acts of intelligence>

CuntyBunty Wed 27-Nov-13 19:48:38

I think it refers more to the root of the problem Redder, as I perceive it. The lack of female nominees is as a result of the underfunding and under promotion of female competitive sport, compared to the opposite sex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now