International Day of the Man

(72 Posts)
BrushedStoat Tue 19-Nov-13 10:59:52

This gave me a chuckle.

BasilBabyEater Wed 20-Nov-13 20:56:10

Feminism doesn't tell men to man up.

Patriarchy is what tells men they are not allowed to show weakness or fear or sorrow.

FloraFox Wed 20-Nov-13 21:18:24

Basil I'm going with thick.

MissMiniTheMinx Wed 20-Nov-13 21:35:34

Yep thick and victims of their own success.

BasilBabyEater Wed 20-Nov-13 21:39:10

This is utterly brilliant. And funny. grin

SplitHeadGirl Wed 20-Nov-13 22:19:05

Definitely thick. Their stupidity and ugly, festering anger depress me. I wonder if there are actually ANY intelligent MRAs. Or is that an oxymoron?

SplitHeadGirl Wed 20-Nov-13 22:26:02

Haha BBE that made me laugh!!! It really brings home how hard-done-by these stupid men think they are. I loved the little cartoon posted among the comments.....my husband laughed out loud at that and said it pretty much sums these idiotic men up. He hates men who cry 'misandry' too for the annoying, useless little twerps they are.

Biggedybiggedybongsoitis Wed 20-Nov-13 23:37:36

Back to the OP - nobody has mentioned that behind all this appears to be a charity actually trying to re-evaluate the role of men as fathers, and to try to get them to face up to their responsibilities. Has this been missed amongst the hilarity, or doesn't it matter?

Pan Thu 21-Nov-13 09:46:44

Odd that isn't Biggedy? A genuinely-sounding initiative for all the good reasons you posted about above is sacrificed for a bit of high-fiving. tbf I wouldn't have known of IMD, but it's a bit disappointing to see it served up with such drivel. It's almost as if quite a few feminists don't actually wish anything to change, and opt to simply mock the nature of their own oppression.

TheDoctrineOfWho Thu 21-Nov-13 09:55:05

TBF, the article was a skit on International Men's Day as a concept and then the thread got a bit MRA'd. I'd be happy to understand more about the charity - it's an Australian one, isn't it?

Pan Thu 21-Nov-13 10:10:45

It's more than a 'skit' - esp the last few lines re 'knock yourselves out' and thereafter i.e. fuck off and stay fucked off. I think esp. that is the drively bit and says 'don't even try, we like the way things are, thank you'.

TheDoctrineOfWho Thu 21-Nov-13 10:15:29

I don't think it says that at all, but have to work now!

BasilBabyEater Thu 21-Nov-13 13:34:18

Yeah because feminists should be supporting a charity who promote the idea that "fatherlessness" is in of itself a Bad Thing, which claims that men are discriminated against legally and socially.

If people want feminists to support charities which encourage men to be proper parents, those charities need to look less like Men's Rights vehicles.

Have a look at their website. What they don't say is as important as what they do say.

And look at this shit:

"Irrefutable research shows that mothers typically are nurturing, soft, gentle, comforting, protective and emotional. Fathers tend to be challenging, prodding, loud, playful and encourage risk taking. Children need a balance of protection and reasonable risk taking. If a positive male role model is not present in the life of a child there is a void in this area. Children who live in this environment are more likely to be involved in criminal activity, premarital sexual activity, do poorer in school and participate in unhealthy activities"

The usual single mother bashing, couplehood at any price, lying about stats MRA shit.

But hey, you go ahead and tell feminists they're irresponsible and wallowing in their inequality, not to support these pricks.

TheDoctrineOfWho Thu 21-Nov-13 13:38:24

I'm happy I now understand more about the charity,thank you Basil.

BasilBabyEater Thu 21-Nov-13 13:41:44

I'm going to set up a charity to celebrate white people's achievements and role models and advice on how to keep them safe and encourage them to have better relations with black people.

I am not going to mention the history of racism or the current inequality between POC and white people.

And then I'm going to go on forums frequented by POC and tell them to stop scoffing at my entitlement.

hmm

Biggedybiggedybongsoitis Thu 21-Nov-13 13:55:16

^'Irrefutable research shows that mothers typically are nurturing, soft, gentle, comforting, protective and emotional. Fathers tend to be challenging, prodding, loud, playful and encourage risk taking. Children need a balance of protection and reasonable risk taking. If a positive male role model is not present in the life of a child there is a void in this area. Children who live in this environment are more likely to be involved in criminal activity, premarital sexual activity, do poorer in school and participate in unhealthy activities"

The usual single mother bashing, couplehood at any price, lying about stats MRA shit.^

Really? Because I read that as 'if you are not a positive role model in your child's life, they are missing out and you are not taking responsibility. Children who have no father/positive male role model are disadvantaged from the start and are more likely to have a worse education, have early sex (perpetuating the cycle) and get involved in bad stuff. So, fulfil your role as a father, dammit.'

I don't see it as single mother bashing. I see it as telling men to step up to the plate. Still, we look at these things through different prisms, I guess.

Biggedybiggedybongsoitis Thu 21-Nov-13 13:58:30

Anyway, off to work now. I'll catch up on all the doom and gloom later.

Pan Thu 21-Nov-13 14:09:58

Quite a little misplaced rant you got going for yourself there BBE.
-Of course just about all of it is very badly skewed and misrepresentative of anything I said, and indeed of the stated aims of IMD.
-No 'assistance' from feminists have been asked for as far as I can see,
- the analogy of race is an embarrassment for you,
-the article does say 'fuck off and play whilst we do the important business' (no matter what a productive outcome could be, hence the 'enjoy nursing your grievances' type comment which is evidently justified whether you like it or not),
-and men are often discriminated against legally and socially.
-Re the quoted para, frankly one could point to any wild-eyed, mouth-frothing radfem and claim they represent feminism and so sideline the whole movement for that reason alone.

But none of these things interest you, do they?

BasilBabyEater Thu 21-Nov-13 14:25:44

I don't think it is a misplaced rant.

I think it's absolutely appropriately placed. It was placed just after 2 people (one of them male) got sneery about people taking the piss out of IMD and implied that we're somehow wrong to do so.

I think we have every right to do so but am not surprised to see you popping up here to wag your finger at us.

As for your post, it's full of the usual disingenuous stuff I've got used to from you.

-Of course just about all of it is very badly skewed and misrepresentative of anything I said, and indeed of the stated aims of IMD.

Meaningless.

-No 'assistance' from feminists have been asked for as far as I can see

? No idea why you've said that.

- the analogy of race is an embarrassment for you I disagree, I think it's unpalatable for you.

-the article does say 'fuck off and play whilst we do the important business' (no matter what a productive outcome could be, hence the 'enjoy nursing your grievances' type comment which is evidently justified whether you like it or not)
My rant as you call it, was prompted by your posts, not by the article.

-and men are often discriminated against legally and socially. hmm

-Re the quoted para, frankly one could point to any wild-eyed, mouth-frothing radfem and claim they represent feminism and so sideline the whole movement for that reason alone.

No you couldn't, but you might be able to sideline the website, depending on what sort of website it was. This para was indicative of the tone of the website as a whole and I think anyone who is being honest will actually see that.

But none of these things interest you, do they? Yes they do Pan, but tbh very little that you say interests me and I find you so terribly disingenuous and dishonest that I'm not that interested in discussing most things with you because I find it distasteful. The only reason I've gone through your misplaced bullet pointed rant here, is because I'm literally waiting for paint to dry before I put the next coat on.

BasilBabyEater Thu 21-Nov-13 14:28:30
Pan Thu 21-Nov-13 14:40:09

Sorry BBE none of those things actually interests you at all. Most of your posts reek of a grievance-nurser and as such are an utter bore and is one of the reasons as to why so many other MN posters avoid this part of the forest. But that wouldn't interest you either, would it? High-fiving over some drively item is much more important than any productive outcome.

BasilBabyEater Thu 21-Nov-13 14:45:59

Biggedy, I think you're ignoring the fact that these statistics are simply not valid.

Children with bad outcomes don't have bad outcomes because they are the children of single parents. They have them because they are poor. Any charity which is genuinely interested in parenting and good outcomes for children, knows this because they've bothered to research it.

In all these studies which show that the outcomes for the children of single parents are poorer than those of coupled parents, what also shows up is that the cause of this is poverty. If you weight the data for income, you find that actually, there is no overall statistical difference between outcomes for children of single and coupled parents. Most studies also find that even if you take income into account, if the single parent in question has a degree, then the outcomes are the same as for coupled parents - even poverty doesn't wipe out the advantage education gives a family.

This is important. I know it seems pedantic but these men are promoting the old lies about single parenthood. Whether they're doing it to tell men to step up to the plate or to promote the view that male + female partnership is the best one (and therefore the one that anyone who cares about children should choose) is something we can all leave to our own interpretations, but the point is, what they are saying is wrong and they should know it.

BasilBabyEater Thu 21-Nov-13 14:46:48

grin

Sometimes you just can't reign in your malevolence, can you Pan?

grin

Are you not busy either then?

BasilBabyEater Thu 21-Nov-13 14:48:53

If I'm such an utter bore, why are you still here talking to me and insulting me?

You realise you are making a spectacle of yourself, don't you?

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Thu 21-Nov-13 14:59:30

Basil, that twitter conversation was awesome - You could actually see him spluttering.

I love this:

Apparently today is #InternationalMensDay. It also goes by the names of Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Let's hear it for Owen Jones grin

BasilBabyEater Thu 21-Nov-13 15:01:53

I laaaarve young Owen.

He is just so brilliant.

I love the way all those grey old men hate him and insult him for being young, when he's just better than them. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now