Saudi women defy driving ban again

(13 Posts)
grimbletart Sat 26-Oct-13 18:51:41

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24658753

Good for them.

You have to wonder what the matter is with the men in government. Is it arrogance, is it fear, is it ignorance or is it simply that when women try to do anything normal these men's brains (!) fall out of their ears and leave a big empty space.

The latter seems likely as we recently read of the male cleric who said it makes women's ovaries and wombs get all squashed....which had me wondering what happens to men's balls......

grimbletart Sat 26-Oct-13 18:52:00
CaptChaos Sat 26-Oct-13 19:16:54

There was a woman on R4 earlier talking about this, she was saying that it's actually a major step forward for the Saudi government to have stated clearly that the ban is a legislative thing, as there has been no clarification thus far, which has meant that the women trying to fight the ban have a proper target now IYSWIM.

(I didn't catch her name, was pelting down with rain and I was trying to concentrate on driving!)

tribpot Sat 26-Oct-13 19:24:19

Recent press release from Amnesty.

Press release from earlier in the week: "The 26 October campaign comes in the same week as representatives of the Saudi Arabian delegation to the Human Rights Council’s Universal Periodic Review repeatedly asserted that Saudi Arabian laws do not discriminate against women. A female member of the delegation who also happens to be a member of the Shura Council’s Human Rights committee even said that “the system in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia does not make distinctions between men and women.” "

yet "The guardianship system that prevails in Saudi Arabia means women are required to obtain the permission of a male guardian in order to marry, travel to most countries, undergo certain types of surgery, undertake paid employment or enroll in higher education."

caramelwaffle Sat 26-Oct-13 19:51:53

Good luck to them.

They have my (moral) support.

grimbletart Sat 26-Oct-13 21:02:09

I understand there is no actual law against women driving in SA - they just don't issue them driving licences!

mediarek Sun 27-Oct-13 01:52:49

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Merel Sun 27-Oct-13 01:06:29

Good luck to the women of SA, I sincerely hope they achieve their goal. Have been thinking of them today.

Hope you are on glue mediarek x

mediarek Sun 27-Oct-13 01:44:07

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BuffytheAnyAppleFucker Sun 27-Oct-13 07:51:00

Heh, the GFs have been on the rampage again I see. Should let the posts stand, to demonstrate the "quality" of their "arguments"

whatdoesittake48 Mon 28-Oct-13 12:43:21

As part of my work I stumbled across an online Arab newspaper which had the headline "women's driving protest fizzles out" - They wish!

DropYourSword Mon 28-Oct-13 12:48:03

It was definitely reported on the news here in Australia that Saudi Arabia is the last country in the world to have a ban on female drivers....because it might damage their ovaries hmm
I applaud these exceptionally brave women.

moondog Wed 30-Oct-13 16:00:05

I'm surprised that this issue hasn't attracted more attention on this section.
This song sums up the idiocy of it all

Apparently driving will damage the ovaries.
You really couldn't make it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now