Fed up with women being described as "girls". Name and shame the worst culprits.

(128 Posts)
MardyBra Sat 26-Oct-13 01:50:47

Nick from The Apprentice for starters.

MardyBra Sat 26-Oct-13 01:54:30

The X Factor talks about "girls" and "boys" for the under 25s, so not too bad, I suppose. Although I wouldn't rate them as as a hive of feminism.

Boots advertising.

Yougotbale Sat 26-Oct-13 01:55:09

Jamie oliver

MardyBra Sat 26-Oct-13 01:55:18

Absolutely MrsCakes

MardyBra Sat 26-Oct-13 01:57:09

Lots of quizmasters. Bradley on The Chase. Chris Tarrant.

I would love a contestant to turn on them.

[apologies - quiz show freak!]

FarelyKnuts Australia Sat 26-Oct-13 01:58:11

My female boss!! Hacks me off no end!

MardyBra Sat 26-Oct-13 01:59:29

Also the bloke who runs my choir.

He never refers to the basses and tenors as "boys".

MardyBra Sat 26-Oct-13 02:14:26

Maybe I should confront him, but I feel that would brand me as mardybitch.

HumpdaySelfie Sat 26-Oct-13 02:18:43

Honestly, I don't care. It's the shite those same people tend to say after the 'girls, ' bit that gets me. I hate more emails that start with 'Guys' or 'Chaps'. Usually reply to them starting 'Ladies'.

zippey Sat 26-Oct-13 02:32:53

I don't care about women being called girls. Its not something you should worry about.

perplexedpirate Sat 26-Oct-13 03:23:27

Whenever I see this I always hear Margi Clark going 'Isn't that right, giiiiirrrllls?!'.
In my head, obviously. She doesn't follow me around or anything.

DropYourSword Sat 26-Oct-13 03:28:40

I guess it depends. If someone said "girls" and "boys" it wouldn't be an issue to me. However if it was "girls" and "men" I'd be fuming!

MardyBra Sat 26-Oct-13 03:29:15

"I don't care about women being called girls. Its not something you should worry about."

So men are rarely referred to as "boys". Yet adult women are referred to as children. if you can tell me that men are equally infantalised, then it wouldn't be a problem for me.

StopDoingThat Sat 26-Oct-13 03:40:07

I don't think it's infantilising as such. I think that somewhere down the line the other possible terms got connotations that, rightly or wrongly, means people aren't comfortable using them.

How would you rather a group of women were addressed?
Ladies? Women? People? Peeps? <shudder>

With men, you can use lots none of it means anything other than 'you lot'. Gents, chaps, fellas, guys, and yes, even boys.

I'm much more concerned by the intent than the word, and as long as I don't think the intent to offend is there, or that the use of the word will cause others to treat 'the girls' differently than they would 'the ladies' or 'the women' or whatever else, I really don't mind.

MardyBra Sat 26-Oct-13 03:40:31

"If someone said "girls" and "boys" it wouldn't be an issue to me."

What about "girls" and "guys", which I've heard a lot recently?
What about "guys" meaning men and women?

I am genuinely curious about the best terms. My main concern is that young women (including dd in a couple of years' time) aren't dismissed as non adults.

StopDoingThat Sat 26-Oct-13 03:41:47

But yes, I also hear Margi.

StopDoingThat Sat 26-Oct-13 03:45:27

I have mixed feelings on 'guys' for mixed groups. I don't mind it when I know absolutely that they know they're addressing a mixed group.

I mind it a lot when I suspect it's because they have forgotten women are present. (I work in IT, for clients in the ME, so I get a double whammy of that fairly routinely...)

StopDoingThat Sat 26-Oct-13 03:46:37

But I didn't mean to kill your thread! Carry on naming offenders!

ZingWantsCake Sat 26-Oct-13 03:52:05

doesn't bother me at all. to quote Alanis Morisette:

"I'm a bitch I'm a lover
I'm a child I'm a mother
I'm a sinner I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed"

and I'm a girl too. so I'm ok with it.

ZingWantsCake Sat 26-Oct-13 03:53:51

stop

how about "Laydeez"? grin

StopDoingThat Sat 26-Oct-13 03:55:55

Only from singers on cross-channel ferries.

verysomething Sat 26-Oct-13 03:56:02

stop in Australia 'guys' has become v accepted for a mixed group. I like it for social things but would not use it for work groups unless I was sure everyone else was on board with it.

ZingWantsCake Sat 26-Oct-13 03:59:33

biatches?

DropYourSword Sat 26-Oct-13 04:07:33

I live in Australia and I will often use guys as a term for a group of people, regardless of gender.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now