Opinions on my conversation with DP please, re job quotas

(135 Posts)
MumblingMummy Sun 20-Oct-13 23:13:42

OK, Im feeling a bit upset tonight following a 'lively' discussion with DP earlier about job quotas. He commented on a newspaper article and he said 'Im sick of this PC rubbish, trying to get women and black people jobs just for the sake of quotas. If theyre any good theyll get the job on merit.'
Now, I happen to agree with quotas as without them, I dont see how minorities are ever going to achieve equality of opportunity. His response? Life is tough! I mentioned white male privilage and the wider argument but he just raised his voice and refused to see that things need to change. I think Im just disappointed in him and have a sneaking suspicion that he's not the man I thought he was. <looks eagerly for support>

BuffytheAnyAppleFucker Fri 25-Oct-13 09:58:02

I choosing? I am choosing. Sheesh grin

kim147 Fri 25-Oct-13 09:58:07

Don't worry martin

You'll soon find that you find you are discriminated against when you get older as age discrimination is common in education.

SabrinaMulFUCKERJjones Fri 25-Oct-13 09:58:18

So sorry to hear that Kim sad

SabrinaMulFUCKERJjones Fri 25-Oct-13 10:01:29

Buffy, you put it well.

I think martinedwards has a fair way to go before he recognises that discrimination already exists in the workplace and has done for generations. Discrimination in favour of white able-bodied men.

Legislation along the lines of quotas merely seeks to redress the existing imbalance.

TheDoctrineOfAnyFucker Fri 25-Oct-13 10:38:03

Well put, Sabrina.

BasilFucker Fri 25-Oct-13 10:41:53

Apparantly telling someone that they have "man-bashing glasses on" doesn't count as a personal attack.

hmm

BuffytheAnyAppleFucker Fri 25-Oct-13 10:43:21

Are those the kind of glasses that have massive comedy boxing gloves on springs at each side? Ready to shoot out and bop on the nose anyone suspected of having a penis?

BuffytheAnyAppleFucker Fri 25-Oct-13 10:46:51
BasilFucker Fri 25-Oct-13 10:52:37

Arf.

No, the glove on mine is pink. wink

ApocalypseThen Fri 01-Nov-13 17:21:45

I think poor Martin is labouring under the delusion that the white man is the standard human and everyone else is a deviation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now