What's Your Excuse?

(45 Posts)
BuffytheAppleBobber Thu 17-Oct-13 14:26:55

Saw this story today about a fitness blogger who posted a picture of herself looking amazing, with her 3 kids, with the caption "what's your excuse"?

Not very sisterly, eh.

Yougotbale Thu 17-Oct-13 14:40:19

No. I can see why she got a backlash. I think it's important to exercise and if people can do the recommended amount of weekly physical activity, then all the better. I think if she had been promoting exercise and nutrition, it would have been better.

BasilBabyEater Thu 17-Oct-13 14:40:47

I saw that on FB and instantly went and got a bowl of ice-cream.

Queenie73 Thu 17-Oct-13 14:43:07

That kins of patronising smuggery is only ever going to get a two word response from me. Second word being "off", of course.
She's not helping anyone, it's a form of masturbation- I'm sure she gets a real kick from it, but it's not much fun for the general public to watch.

Phaserstostun Thu 17-Oct-13 15:08:42

Facebook at it's finest - 'Look at me, listen to me, every aspect of my life is worthy of inspection, admiration and praise!'

A vacuous website for vacuous people.

ColderThanAWitchsTitty Thu 17-Oct-13 15:21:40

I just saw this on HuffPost and I was wondering what everyone thought about it. I didn't see it as fat shaming myself, she's a fitness instructor and I can see a lot of woman using their children as excuses to not take good care of themselves, not just weight but life in general. It's smuggery to a new level as phasers said though and exactly what I expect from FB and the likes but nothing like the Twitter campaign of "fat shaming" and abusing individuals or posting nasty pics etc.

ColderThanAWitchsTitty Thu 17-Oct-13 15:26:14

oh and as someone who is soon to have 3 children of a very similar age difference... I can confirm that if your job is not fitness instructor...that it is completely unrealistic to ever look like that with 3 babies. Staying clean is about all I ever hope to do and I only have 2 babies at the moment and would never have time to be at the gym for hours a day.

But still it's an ad campaign and she is trying to sell gym

Mitchy1nge Thu 17-Oct-13 15:29:46

saw that on MFP, think am very slightly on the side of 'good for her for making time for her health and fitness' and just ignoring the general 'it's what you look like that counts' aspect

PenguinsDontEatPancakes Thu 17-Oct-13 18:29:41

My 'excuse' is that I don't care as much as she does about the exact state of my body. It is healthy and it works, and for now that will do me just fine.

I hate the implication of the photo- which is that women must strive to look like that and to do otherwise requires a reason, an excuse.

I don't think it's fat shaming as such, but it does buy into a destructive culture of body perfection.

SplitHeadGirl Thu 17-Oct-13 20:00:00

Her apology was weird...she said it isn't her fault that the image resonated the way it did with people, yet the caption under the image seemed to be deliberately goading and almost demanded a response from women who do not look like her. So how can she then act like she didn't expect people to be upset??

She looks fantastic..I have three children roughly the same age and although v. skinny, look NOTHING like her. Do I care? Not so much. I would have before my children, but now they're here...meh!

CaptChaos Thu 17-Oct-13 20:09:53

Oh! I get it now! I'm not fat because a doctor nearly killed me and in doing so trashed my liver. I'm fat because I'm lazy! I am a silly little airhead, aren't I? I shall mull it over a bit more tomorrow during the 12 hours of physically demanding job I do, or maybe when walking the dogs.

Sorry, a touch sensitive after all the vileness of #fatshamingweek sad

BerstieSpotts Thu 17-Oct-13 20:15:27

I saw this the other day. I can see what she is trying to say but it's so, so badly thought out and just generally a terrible idea.

The message was supposed to be "I found a way around my commitments and achieved something I'm proud of"

Instead it comes across exactly as SplitHeadGirl says - goady and almost threatening. Why don't YOU look like me??

Plus, having 3 children means nothing. You can have 10 children but if you have a supportive husband, access to childcare, family support etc, it's no problem to find time without them. But a lone parent with one child might have no access to childcare, ever. You can't leave your toddler alone in the house to go for a run. Or someone with a disabled child, for example, might find it difficult to source childcare or be unable to leave them for long. Not to mention health problems which make it difficult for people to exercise.

ColderThanAWitchsTitty Thu 17-Oct-13 20:21:03

I think the children are the "excuse" she is referring to.

Your liver being damaged isn't an "excuse" when most people use the word.. We think of excuses as a way of getting out of doing something that doesn't have much validity.

When people say they haven't got the time to do it because of children or work and make excuses to themselves.

I do this frequently, I also have genuine "excuse" for why my weight is what it is, to do with PCOS, but I can tell that's not the point of the picture.

Also I kind of like Mitchys take on it. She's made time for her health, made a wage out of it. And she is in gym clothes with her kids..it's not about being sexy or anything like that.

I really don't think it's like the fat shaming thing, which is so incredibly shit

It didn;'t say go to the gym you fat fucker.

popsnsqeeze Thu 17-Oct-13 20:22:21

Photoshop.... Who has a family photo with all 3 kids looking at the camera, smiling, and with eyes open?!

ColderThanAWitchsTitty Thu 17-Oct-13 20:24:27

Not only do I look this good..but my kids smile ALL the time and they are photogenic too..

Ultimate smuggery grin

CaptChaos Thu 17-Oct-13 20:27:12

The original caption didn't say go to the gym you fat fucker, however, the 'apology' certainly implied it.

popsnsqeeze Thu 17-Oct-13 20:28:17

I believe it's actually been proven as scientifically impossible to have more than one kid smiling in a photo Colder... wink

ColderThanAWitchsTitty Thu 17-Oct-13 20:34:36

Her apology wasn't brilliant at the end I admit but I think she was probably feeling awfully defensive for being forced to give one when she didn't mean to offend anyway. And she did give rather private reasons including her eating disorder

I want to know why during fat shaming week one woman and her 3 robochildren is the one that is all over the web. And not the assholes who were being abusive and the reason there were amillino women sitting around feeling shit enough to get offended by a photo on someone's blog.

Why not the nasty fuckers who did say "go to the gym you fat fucker"

Boosterseattheballcleaner Thu 17-Oct-13 20:48:21

I work out I don't look like that and I can appreciate the effort that goes with keeping a body in that kind of condition. My priorities are obviously different to hers.

When would I like time to MN, play video games and read loads of books? I do sit on a stability ball though, so that's something grin

V.smug? Never a good look anyway.
Some people just love the smell of their own farts.

Boosterseattheballcleaner Thu 17-Oct-13 20:50:04

have not time.

Cold fingers.angry

Sindarella Thu 17-Oct-13 20:53:01

My excuse is i am too busy looking after my children an working all hours to pay the bills. The few hours i do get i'd rather spend with my children than in a gym.

BuffytheAppleBobber Thu 17-Oct-13 21:01:10

I felt that the original photo was designed to make other people feel bad. Just like a photo of a woman standing in front of a huge London house wearing diamonds talking about how hard she works and poor people are just lazy or they'd all be CEOs too.

The 'apology' read as simply defensive lashing out at people who were howwid about her lovely photo. Very juvenile, I thought.

garlicvampire Sat 19-Oct-13 05:17:49

I only saw this today. I thought it was satirical thlgrin

TombOfMummyBeerest Sat 19-Oct-13 06:06:20

I saw it, laughed and ate my grilled cheese.

Then I read a whole bunch of articles about it.

I would actively avoid this woman in real life...I was really quite surprised people gave her the time of day!

samandi Tue 29-Oct-13 08:44:03

I find the photo quite inspirational actually. It's refreshing to see a woman with young kids who can look that good. Maybe it's not realistic for everyone, but I certainly don't think the photo deserves accusations of fat-shaming and bullying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now