Feminist icons/role models

(27 Posts)
HeggartyTotterington Fri 11-Oct-13 00:54:27

Discussions about feminism/womens rights around people i know tend to be derailed in to 'so yeah sufragettes but what since then'. Now I can discuss the pay gap and rape convictions til the cows come home. But my only feminist icons to point to are women such as Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Leymah Gbowee or Engy Ghozlan and they don't really register. At least not without a lengthy discussion that turns people off.

I work in international women's rights which may explain why my go to people are non-uk based. But I genuinely struggle to think of anyone I know in the UK who is a feminist 'icon' -terrible word-

Feminism is, of course, still so so relevant in Britain but I seem to spend half my time talking about Emmeline Pankhurst. It's not as though she isn't important know but the issues facing women 100 years ago aren't the same as now. Women's rights have made huge progress I that time and there just be someone I can point to to illustrate that.

I'm just not sure who?

scallopsrgreat Sat 12-Oct-13 20:59:01

Ahh yes of course Parvati smile

Takver Sat 12-Oct-13 22:44:26

Maybe not now so much, but I think Barbara Castle is pretty inspiring in terms of what she achieved within politics (In Place of Strife notwithstanding).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now