raising girls

(31 Posts)
itshowwedo Tue 08-Oct-13 10:29:00

I'm chatting to an office-mate who also has two daughters, and we were wondering whether anyone can recommend a book on raising girls? I'm asking here because I want something which won't raise my feminist hackles... Any thoughts? I'm aware that the world has changed since I went through girl-hood and I'm hoping to find a good reflective book to help me think through how things might be for my two.

SinisterSal Thu 10-Oct-13 19:20:00

The early sexualisation / body image thing is definitely a feminist area of interest, and does pertain to girls.

the role model thing was, I think, in connection with inappropriate crushes distracting the girl and I suppose introducing a sexual element (even if an unformed adolescent type) into a relationship that should be about developing other aspects of her.
the female relationship thing was lovely, I thought. Aunties, in particular, to be a non parent but yet pretty parental, that chimed with me from my own youth, and uncles are not the same when it comes to getting to grips with periods and fancying Tom in 3rd yr.

A lot of what he said was common sense and it was lovely to see common sense from a feminist perspective being mainstreamed.

But I guess the examples I gave are all in the teen chapter. The other age groups are all non gender defined common sense. Now I'm riled with him. He pink and blued it for no reason just like a toy shop maximising profits -
This was my first time coming across him, didn't know what he said in the Boys book or anywhere else.

....But i still like him

NiceTabard Thu 10-Oct-13 19:23:53

Thanks for that! Sounds a bit odd to me, TBH. But you a. read it ages ago and b. didn't write it so I won't start wittering on here!

SinisterSal Thu 10-Oct-13 19:29:30

I must read through the webchat and see what people's objections are.

i can't believe it just struck me that yeah, he didn't have to be all Mars and Venus about it. Children are from Earth.

But. stubborn in my defence wink

wish I did write it. I'd hire better shills if I had

GoshAnneGorilla Fri 11-Oct-13 18:36:10

Have just bought Delusions of Gender and have vowed to finally get round to reading my copy of "How to talk..." smile

As an aside, hearing seven year olds being advised to have their legs waxed is the sort of thing that makes me feel like a lie down in a darkened room.

TheDoctrineOfSpike Sun 13-Oct-13 17:56:37

<really must read How To Talk, which lurks on my shelf>

oliveoctagon Sun 13-Oct-13 18:18:52

I dont treat my girls any differently to the way I would boys. I role model what I want to see and the children copy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now