Unhappy with school reading book

(131 Posts)
Kinect Tue 08-Oct-13 08:01:43

DD is in reception & has three reading books a week. We have a little book to fill in with a note of how DD reacted. Yesterday's book was, "a princess & a dragon'. Story went like this princess, dragon, roar, help, prince, prince saves princess, they are happy.

I have written in the notebook that it is against my feminist principles to read the story with DD.

I am very unhappy about material like this being in school.

Should I take this further with the school?
Or is my comment in the notebook sufficient.

BuffytheAppleBobber Wed 09-Oct-13 19:58:43

Yes. That's just... words fail me. I would be talking to the school, in a friendly and constructive way, about stereotyping and equality.

NiceTabard Wed 09-Oct-13 21:50:12

Holy moly if DD came back with that i'd be so hmm my eyebrow would shoot off my face and into orbit!!!

Fortunately she hasn't! That is quite mind-boggling.

Yes I think you should.

My DD is almost 4. Her dad and I share childcare and housework. We both work outside the home, we both have professional careers. Her aunt is a doctor, her grandma a professor. She has plenty of strong female role models within her family.

And she came home from nursery one day telling me that men were doctors and 'ladies' were nurses. Even worse, she was convinced that girls couldn't ever be doctors.

I then asked the nursery about their policy on challenging gender stereotyping and it's implementation. I had no idea if such a thing existed but thought it was worth a shot. It started a good conversation and things I think have changed for the better.

Its. The horror blush

ClayDavis Thu 10-Oct-13 01:31:19

It really is bad isn't it? The first time a child read it to me I wasshock. I did get rid of the copies we had.

There's something about the very short, easy read sentences that make the whole 'weak female princess rescued by brave strong prince' much more explicit than in a well written copy of the older fairy tales. It's the complete lack of anything else going on in the story.

Off the top of my head, I think it is the only one like that in the series though. I can't think of any of the others that reinforce negative gender stereotypes so obviously.

sashh Thu 10-Oct-13 07:50:28

Is there a book that has ever been published for children where a girl rescues a boy? I am not asking facetiously, I've actually never come across one.

I borrowed some from my brother (as an adult) wish I could remember the author.

The prince is a second son and is sent on quest with everyone expecting him to dies. He has to rescue a princess from a dragon, when he gets there the dragon is so fed up of her he sends her off with the prince. She is also a pretty good swordswoman.

The princess spends the rest of the book challenging all the soldiers to sword drill and they start refusing because she beats them.

OP send the note.

<thinks about a career writing children's fiction with female main leads>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now