The Feminist Pub is Open - Chat, Rant, or pull up a chair here!

(1003 Posts)

This thread started when we all decided to imagine what the perfect local for feminists would be like. So far, it has taps with plenty of good real ale, and some decent non-alcoholic alternatives too. There are comfy chairs and there's a feminist film night, as well as lots of nice feminist-friendly books on the shelves and space to curl up and read. The open-mic nights are attracting feminist singers and comedians, and we're just sorting out the feminist creche.

Please come along, draw up a stool, and have a good chat about whatever you fancy - as serious or as trivial as you like.

For starters, I have a half-pint of lemonade. What can I get anyone?

murder, you read my mind.

In the older 'feminist pub' thread, that's exactly what I wanted. I agree.

MurderOfBanshees Mon 07-Oct-13 17:14:20

Penguins Excellent, I can feel like an adult again

Hoojimiflip Mon 07-Oct-13 17:14:46

Can I sit with a glass of bubbly, blonde hair and painted nails and not be judged to be stupid? If so, I'm in! If you've got any tapas that'd be lovely, cheers.

PenguinsDontEatPancakes Mon 07-Oct-13 17:15:29

My first experience of malibu was neat aged about 14. Not touched it since.

MurderOfBanshees Mon 07-Oct-13 17:16:02

Gah neat Malibu is awful! Had a friend who used to just down the whole bottle neat <gags>

PenguinsDontEatPancakes Mon 07-Oct-13 17:16:25

Hoojim - No judging, we promise. But of course you also have to impress us with your conversation if you want us to actively think you scintillating grin

Of course you can, hooj! In fact I may join you. I fancy a plate of those sausages cooked in wine, but I am sure we have a more extensive menu of tapas going.

EldritchCleavage Mon 07-Oct-13 17:21:10

Let's be all positive. I offer this article I have been meaning to post, on an inspiring woman we don't really hear enough about except as a consort.

MooncupGoddess Mon 07-Oct-13 17:23:28

Marking my place with a half of Wollstonecraft light ale.

Thank you for that, eldritch.

Hoojimiflip Mon 07-Oct-13 17:26:09

Ooh, I love chorizo in red wine! My local pub does them beautifully, I'm visualising this as the feminist pub, it's Tudor with a wood fire. I take it we're doing away with letchy bar staff? I'm not sure I'm up to scintillating conversation just yet I'm afraid, I'll improve with wine and snacks grin

TunipTheUnconquerable Mon 07-Oct-13 17:31:04

If it is a Tudor building it has to have associations with local witches (like one of the pubs in York where we have had feminist meetings from time to time.)

Loving the beer names. Pint of Dworkin for me, please, barwoman.

Yep, that is absolutely the idea.

No letchy bar staff.

Just a nice place for us to get together and chat about the stuff that doesn't make a full thread. Or a place where we can just think about the random things that don't make it onto a thread.

If the beer is up to scratch, there shouldn't be too many scintillating conversations. grin

Pint of Dworkin coming up.

TunipTheUnconquerable Mon 07-Oct-13 17:34:20

There's a pub in the Wolds with lots of old photos of Land Girls on the local farms.
Can I request old-fashioned but woman-related décor? Eg lots of old agricultural equipment etc stuck to the ceiling, but only tools used by women.

Oooh, mine's a pint of Strongbow, please - I'd blush at how unsophisticated and non-ladeelike my drink of choice is, but frankly, my dears, I don't give a damn anymore grin

And please don't make me have ale - bleurgh!!

I shall also be more of a listener than a scintillating conversationalist at this point, I think.

<takes her pint and sits down quietly in the corner. Near the open fire. With several Irish Wolfhounds asleep in front>

Hoojimiflip Mon 07-Oct-13 17:36:54

Ok, I've settled in next to the local witches and I'm complaining about DS having lost his passport and wondering if they're any good with summoning charms or the like. offers around chorizo

Strongbow is excellent.

And the sitting by the fire works too, as do the nice pictures of historic awesome women.

The idea is, we can all sit around and chat, and when someone new walks in, we can buy them a pint, and sit then down to feel comfy here.

<grabs chorizo>

No idea about then passport, but if he really has, hope he finds it!

TunipTheUnconquerable Mon 07-Oct-13 17:38:58

Ah. I actually meant historical witches, ie they supposedly met there hundreds of years ago, but contemporary witches meeting there is an excellent idea.
Also the woman Morris dancers will come here every week after their practice.

I think we can have some continuity with the historical witches. smile

Hoojimiflip Mon 07-Oct-13 17:41:46

Please can we get in some experimental ciders? The kind you almost have to chew and make you see traces two pints in?

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Mon 07-Oct-13 17:44:04

<Pulls up a comfy chair and joins the throng>

Red wine for me please - a nice cabernet sauvignon wine I do let the side down a bit by not liking lager, real ale or guinness though blush I could be tempted by a nice gin-based cocktail with a feministy name?

Chaos - when I was a teen, I was given "Out Of The Dolls House" - I have no idea if it's still in print, or if it's very outdated now - my teenage years were a long time ago... But I thought it was a fantastic book, I loved it. Definitely the foundation of my feminist principles.

Of course!

I like the kind that are very, very dry - mouth-drying dry.

But I think since it is coming on to autumn, we also need some nice, sweet, spiced cider to be warmed up for mulling.

And I think we need a nice pool table not taken up by blokes.

MooncupGoddess Mon 07-Oct-13 17:45:35

Ah yes. A Pendle witches name would be good - can we call it the Malkin Tower?

This thread is not accepting new messages.