Sinead O'Connor's wise words to Miley Cyrus

(79 Posts)
whatdoesittake48 Thu 03-Oct-13 10:24:57

Apologies for the DM link...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2442321/Sinead-OConnor-writes-open-letter-Miley-Cyrus-response-similar-video.html

A somewhat rambling but heartfelt letter.

You can't say you are influenced by Sinead O'Connor and then promote your sexuality in the way Miley does without it seeming incongruous. A young woman who seems to have her concepts of female power somewhat skewed.

BuffytheFeministFeminist Thu 03-Oct-13 10:30:23

Who knows what Miley really believes. All we see is her public persona, influenced heavily by what her management team believes will sell.

PeterParkerSays Thu 03-Oct-13 10:33:11
whatdoesittake48 Thu 03-Oct-13 10:37:26

Thanks peter - not good with technology....

VenusDeWillendorf Thu 03-Oct-13 10:41:49

I think Miley is pretty smart, and knows a few things about the industry she's in. She's been working in it for a long long time. I think she's pretty savvy about her image and what she's doing.

Sinead has been round the block a few times, but started from a completely different viewpoint, and non industry experience, and she has mental health issues which have made her path unique to her.

The only thing in common with them is that they both had extreme face close ups in one of their videos actually.

I congratulate them both on their successes.

BuffytheFeministFeminist Thu 03-Oct-13 12:07:19

...and both their views are mediated, packaged and presented to us. In this instance by the Daily Mail. So, I don't feel comfortable judging Miley's feminism based upon what they think.

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Thu 03-Oct-13 13:01:06

This isn't a DM link and has the letter in full. I think o'connor makes a great point. I doubt Cyrus will pay any heed though.

ExitPursuedByADragon Thu 03-Oct-13 13:05:28

I think O'Connor is speaking from the heart.

Cyrus would do well to think about what she said.

MrsWolowitz Thu 03-Oct-13 13:13:13

The only thing in common with them is that they both had extreme face close ups in one of their videos actually

Its not so much about things in common with each other and more about Miley Cyrus saying that she drew inspiration from Sinead O'Connor. I think she is trying to use her position as a potential role-model to advise Miley Cyrus. I think she is spot on.

I congratulate them both on their successes

I don't congratulate Miley Cyrus on becoming an international laughing stock as that is what she is.

BuffytheFeministFeminist Thu 03-Oct-13 13:14:27

Didn't know much about Sinead O’Connor before this. Full of admiration for her now. E.g.

Real empowerment of yourself as a woman would be to in future refuse to exploit your body or your sexuality in order for men to make money from you. I needn’t even ask the question.. I’ve been in the business long enough to know that men are making more money than you are from you getting naked. It’s really not at all cool. And it’s sending dangerous signals to other young women.

ReviewsOffers Thu 03-Oct-13 13:31:52

I like that letter. She is obviously sincere.

But she will get shredded for it. Not that O'Connor will care one iota, but Miley might be put off acting on her advice in case she gets it too.

Miley inhabits a world where it's far cooler to be hot and naked (and castigated by the mere out of touch) than to be inspired by a feminist and castigated by the people immediately around her.

SecretWitch Thu 03-Oct-13 13:39:44

Fabulous compassionate letter. So much truth telling from a very experienced woman.

Ledkr Spain Thu 03-Oct-13 14:10:24

Always loved her but love her more now! Amazing.
It's exactly the message I want my girls to get in fact I'm going to read it to dd1 later.

specialsubject Thu 03-Oct-13 14:14:49

good message, but one major error - from the video, Cyrus can't act, and from hearing her 'live' performance she can't sing either. So she doesn't have any talent and the attention-seeking clothes shedding is the only way to promote herself now her child star days are over.

whatdoesittake48 Thu 03-Oct-13 15:03:57

it feels to me like Miley is at an age where she is pushing the boundaries and discovering herself (we all went through that) and she is justifying her behaviour by suggesting it is empowering. many young girls do that. they think it is grown up to take off your clothes and that they are in charge. When the time comes and they realise that they are not in charge and never were it is extremely demoralising and upsetting.

At that age putting your own empowered feelings together with men getting their jollies from the way you look - is a hard ask. it makes no sense to you. you like it, but it scares you. it feels right and wrong all at once. it is such a hard path to tread and to do it in the limelight is even harder.

using your sexuality is an important skill to learn - after all we are all sexual. However, understanding that it can be demeaning, setting a poor example and that men want you to do it - upset that feeling of empowerment. At 20 years of age Miley has little idea of feminism, her own ability to attract men and the impact she has on impressionable youngsters.

I am 40 and still have trouble understanding that dynamic.

My own cropped hair is a direct influence from Sinead too - cut the first time at age 20 just as Miley did. I also found it empowering and still do.

BuffytheFeministFeminist Thu 03-Oct-13 15:10:35

I agree what and I really do not agree with the ridicule and judgement that is being directed at Miley. Our culture tells us we are only as valuable as our attractiveness to men.

I am 35 and at vulnerable moments, my automatic response is to think that if I could make myself look a bit slimmer and prettier then everything would be better somehow.

Hullygully Thu 03-Oct-13 15:41:44

Go Sinead Go!

Wish there were more bloody like her.

I have never understood the Play into the Male Concepts of Attractive to Cock = empowering.

Perhaps it's me.

SilverApples Thu 03-Oct-13 15:52:05

It's interesting to read this thread and the lapdancing thread one after another.
I'm with Hully on this, an empowering sexual dance is somehow different in my mind to what Cyrus was doing. Which seemed closer to a lapdance than any notions of female power.

That was a great read. Good for her.

ubik Thu 03-Oct-13 16:09:08

this pretty much sums it up

Miley is basically a lap-dancing unit-shifter. I hope one day she wakes up and tells her 'management' to fuck the fuck off.

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Thu 03-Oct-13 20:27:53

And here is Cyrus' response. hmm Sounds very much like someone desperately trying not to hear what's being said, so deflects the 'advice' with a rather cruel attack on the messenger instead. Sad.

ReviewsOffers Thu 03-Oct-13 20:48:11

as I suspected

<points to earlier post where I nearly predicted this> wink

ModeratelyObvious Thu 03-Oct-13 22:38:35

That's an awesome letter from Sinead.

LesserOfTwoWeevils Fri 04-Oct-13 01:30:26

Apart from the "precious young lady" bits.

StupidFlanders Fri 04-Oct-13 01:55:18

I agree with whatdoesittake.

Love sinead and I believe she's being genuine but I'm conflicted about the letter.

I don't mind Miley either, she's always presented herself well on the interviews I've seen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now