The Saturdays and the hidden pregnancy

(32 Posts)
NotYoMomma Mon 16-Sep-13 08:45:41

so I just saw the Saturday's latest video for 'Disco Love'

Frankie is pregnant...

wtf is this something to be hidden away?! They employ numerous tricks to hide the baby bump, a totally natural thing.

she is sitting in a van while all her friends have fun outside,

her friends are all rollerskating and she is tucked safely behind the crash barrier so no one can see her stomach gasp

God forbid she even be standing at the bar with a soft drink or something.

at the end of the video all them are sitting on a sofa with men behind them, perched on the back of the sofa.

that is right, excapt Frankie, who had a random man Sat in front of her blocking her pregnancy and bump from view.

I found it so infuriating! God forbid a woman be pregnant hmm confused

Essexgirlupnorth Wed 18-Sep-13 13:51:01

The gossip sites/magazines have been brutal about her weight gain and how "HUGE" her bump has been throughout the pregnancy so she may of wanted to hide it to stop people commenting on it.
Very sad state of affairs particularly with her history of depression.

CoTananat Wed 18-Sep-13 13:38:24

Another reason to love Walk Off The Earth best

Sausageeggbacon Wed 18-Sep-13 13:26:36

Third Sats' baby bump and two have been shown previously so guessing it is either personal choice or didn't fit the video. As DD likes them also we now know that the record company were happy to have the discussions about Rochelle's baby filmed including discussing changing workload which I think was interesting. Think way to much is being read into this. The pregnancy wasn't glamorised and issues were discussed. Plus Una was there with her baby and her mum/hubby doing the child minding. Whilst I don't care for the music, the role models the girls portray are positive as far as I can see. And I hate watching these shows but DD for all her brains seems to want to watch them.

Chotter Wed 18-Sep-13 09:13:13

I think it has been established by other posters that both Atomic Kitten, the Spice Girls and the Saturdays have all featured pregnant singers in their videos before now.

So, where does that leave us with the OP's fury? Is it valid?

sashh Wed 18-Sep-13 06:16:08

Going out on a limb here, but perhaps the OP thinks that her record company wants to hide the pregnancy in case it doesn't appeal to the Saturday's fan base, i.e.7-12 year old girls.

Or in case it does, can you imagine the sad face in the daily fail and "My daughter saw Frankie's bump and got pregnant"

ColinButterfly Tue 17-Sep-13 16:14:59

Maybe there's a plot to the video or maybe it's down to how she herself feels about how she looks - she's commented on how she feels about getting trussed up to be a girl band member when I'm sure all she wants is her boyfriend's tshirts and track suit bottoms. As has been said up thread they did the same with Rochelle. Una's was shown a bit more in the 30 days vid. I seem to remember All Saints doing similar, though Atomic Kitten and Spice Girls both have videos with baby bumps on display.

That said, I do wonder about the working conditions of pregnant girl band members. Kerry Katona is said to have been sacked when she got pregnant by Brian McFadden and Nicole Appleton said her management and Shaznay Lewis pressured her to have an abortion. In light of Natasha Hamilton's comments on the Big Reunion about how she juggled motherhood and being in a girl band, I'll be interested in what the Saturdays have to say about it in years to come - they seem to be back in action quite quickly and I hope that's through choice rather than pressure. I guess they have to make hay while the sun shines and can't imagine their contract is that great.

girl power, eh?

Chotter Tue 17-Sep-13 12:28:23

And do you accept that your fears may be unfounded? That it may be nothing of the sort, and you might have the wrong end of the stick?

NotYoMomma Tue 17-Sep-13 10:49:19

nicetabard thats what is sitting uneasily with me.

God forbid young girls should aim to follow their dreams and establish their careers before having a child while in a loving relationship?

if people are concerned that the sight of a pregnant woman will cause a spate of teenage pregnancies then I despair for what lessons we are teaching our children confused confused

zatyaballerina Mon 16-Sep-13 23:44:02

Anything over 20 is old to pre teens/young teenagers. They see a pregnant adult woman, they see 'old'. That's why all the actors and singers marketed to them are very slender, it's to make them look younger.

Chotter Mon 16-Sep-13 20:00:07

Actually, until someone asks Ms Sandford why she did, it, all we have is a lot of speculation, and I suspect a lot of people hoping that their prejudices are confirmed.

If it was the record company asking her to hide it against her will, then that is stupid of them. Somebody said that another member of the same group appeared earlier in their career with a bump, so if true, that seems unlikely.

If Ms Sandford asked for the video to be shot this way, then it isn't anyone else's business, and anyone else's 'outrage' is pretty unimportant.

NiceTabard Mon 16-Sep-13 19:49:16

When people talk about "glamorising" something it's always something bad, isn't it?

eg

Glamorising violence / guns / DV / terrorism etc

I don't think pregnancy fits on that list.
I also don't think that seeing a famous person pregnant is likely to encourage pregnancy in young girls?
More likely that the drives in society which encourage underage sex are likely to result in pregnancy in young girls.

Hiding pregnancy away on the basis that it might corrupt children is odd and somehow rather victorian.

NiceTabard Mon 16-Sep-13 19:46:19

Is there a serious argument here that children seeing pregnant women will encourage underage sex / pregnancy?

I'm a pretty hmm at that TBH.

flowersinavase Mon 16-Sep-13 19:02:11

Err - because a music video is like a movie. They're playing characters, so a pregnant woman probably didn't fit in. Not the sort of thing you want a teenager to aspire to...

old woman? she's 24! confused

NotYoMomma Mon 16-Sep-13 17:35:52

an old woman? shock

zatyaballerina Mon 16-Sep-13 16:44:41

Their music is targeted to young kids. Tweens don't find pregnant women appealing, they don't aspire to be an old woman with a big belly and swollen feet. The want music videos which are aspirational, the girls represent what they want to be.

whatdoesittake48 Mon 16-Sep-13 15:55:38

I think it was probably her choice - I think when one of the others was pregnant they showed her bump in at least one video.

Damnautocorrect Mon 16-Sep-13 14:10:24

Because there would be a thread on here moaning about her roller skating with bump?!

AngelsLieToKeepControl Mon 16-Sep-13 14:05:47

I can fully understand why someone in the public eye wouldn't want photos and videos of their bump everywhere. Especially if they are having a bad pregnancy.

If something were to happen to the baby during the pregnancy could you imagine how hard it would be to see yourself with a massive bump every time that song was played?

We have no idea what is going on, if anything, but it is her choice, she has her reasons, and they are nothing to do with anyone else.

Brodicea Mon 16-Sep-13 13:55:32

I think because their fans are so young, they probably wanted to avoid showing the bump in case it seemed to 'glamourise' pregnancy for young girls. I'm NOT saying it WOULD glamourise it, but I can imagine people complaining if they 'flaunted' it...

NotYoMomma Mon 16-Sep-13 13:49:19

and I mean considering she has already announced this pregnancy its not exactly the same as hiding it from boss/ colleagues/ for a safe period

NotYoMomma Mon 16-Sep-13 13:47:31

I was wondering who it was for or what the motivations were?

even if she is doing it for the children (really?) surely children should know women have babies sometimes. she is a grown woman in a comitted relationship.

is it for the men? because God forbid that pregnancy was a joint effort between a man and woman in the first place? the fact that they actually use a random mans head to hide her baby bump at one point Was a bit hmm

and if it is to protect their sexy image (?!) what kind of message is that? you cant be sexy when pregnant? it needs to be hidden?

I dont know why it annoyed me so much.

I remember Natasha from atomic kittens pregnancy bump in the tide is high video and she looked fab!

BellEndTent Mon 16-Sep-13 13:25:02

"sexy" rather than sexy. I don't think that, I promise!

BellEndTent Mon 16-Sep-13 13:24:07

Because pregnancy isn't sexy. Although quite how she became pregnant is anyone's guess in that case. grin

No raunchy dancing, no short skirts allowed.

Chotter Mon 16-Sep-13 13:22:47

Going out on a limb here, but perhaps the OP thinks that her record company wants to hide the pregnancy in case it doesn't appeal to the Saturday's fan base, i.e.7-12 year old girls. I guess it's possible. If it were true, I am not sure what it would imply beyond a marketing wallah thinking that pregnant women don't sell records to young girls. All about image, I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now