Is there any campaign to free the 2 women who were forced to smuggle drugs?

(18 Posts)
foodmoneywirk Mon 26-Aug-13 01:24:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

FannyFifer Mon 26-Aug-13 01:26:13

Doubt it. As its not really been proven that they were forced.
I've no sympathy for drug mules.

Kormachameleon Mon 26-Aug-13 01:35:49

How do we know they were forced ?

The footage and photos I have seen of them smiling and laughing and eating birthday cake don't show two horrified girls who were so scared that they acted as drugs mules

And they have been linked to drug dealers / gangsters in Ibiza

arsenaltilidie Mon 26-Aug-13 01:42:50

Forced give me a break hmm

foodmoneywirk Mon 26-Aug-13 01:47:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

SilverApples Mon 26-Aug-13 07:24:37

You need to look in other places. Try and find a website or a newspaper who despises Johnny Foreigner and assumes that being British should be a Get Out of Gaol Free Card. There is probably a campaign going somewhere.

BasilBabyEater Mon 26-Aug-13 07:29:39

Because victims can never laugh or eat birthday cake again...

I think it's highly unlikely that they were forced- there are far too many people willing to do it without being forced, for drug gangs to risk having people who are unreliable by being unwilling to carry their precious cargo- but that's no reason to perpetuate myths about how victims of violence behave. Laughing and being oblivious to the seriousness of your situation, offers no clue whatsoever as to whether you have been a victim of violence or not. Not conforming to perfect victim behaviour or status, doesn't mean you haven't been a victim of violence or the threat of violence and the myth that it does is a dangerous one which should be contradicted every time it's perpetuated.

FrigginRexManningDay Mon 26-Aug-13 12:10:04

They haven't been convicted of anything yet so we don't know if they were forced.
If they were forced you may be better to post in Human Rights.

hermioneweasley Mon 26-Aug-13 12:11:21

Why are those 2 a women's rights campaign?

I can think of many ways in which drug smuggling and abuse is a feminist issue. Freeing that pair, not so much.

EldritchCleavage Mon 26-Aug-13 18:36:48

Why campaign to free them before they've even been fully investigated or tried? Is Peru not allowed to hold, investigate or try British or Irish people?

No idea if they were forced or not. But I do think Peru has a right to hold them while they try to find out, and throw the book at them if they feel the evidence merits it.

badguider Mon 26-Aug-13 18:38:19

I would campaign for them to come to trial in a timely fashion and have good legal representation.

After that I think we have to trust the Peruvian justice system (doesn't seem to be corrupt, just slow).

EldritchCleavage Mon 26-Aug-13 18:43:59

But again, why should they be treated any differently from how Peruvian defendants are treated? I don't think one could argue any local person should wait longer to go to trial because the authorities are caving to pressure to bring two First World women to trial quickly.

duchesse Mon 26-Aug-13 18:54:37

We don't know they were forced, and I am not arrogant enough to presume that the Spanish and Peruvian police are so incompetent that they don't know what they are doing. In the absence of evidence that they were indeed "coerced" (and how would you coerce someone in that except by offering them a large amount of money? There must have been ample opportunities to NOT do this thing) I am going to wait for some actual evidence to appear before making up my mind about their innocence.

TiggyD Mon 26-Aug-13 19:07:52

Maybe there should be a trial?

SunshineBossaNova Mon 26-Aug-13 19:35:54

hmm

foodmoneywirk Mon 26-Aug-13 20:46:49

hettienne Mon 26-Aug-13 20:50:47

They might have been forced, or coerced, or been quite willing - until there's a trial we won't know.

duchesse Mon 26-Aug-13 20:55:01

Sunshine, hmm indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now