Slane girl 2013

(86 Posts)
FrigginRexManningDay Mon 19-Aug-13 10:54:20

I became aware of this yesterday on twitter and subsequently other social networking sites. It took hours for twitter to act.

Eminem played at Slane Castle on Saturday. A girl was photographed performing a sex act there. The picture went up on twitter and Facebook basically destroying this girl. The picture was retweeted many many times often with derogatory comments. The boys involved were regarded as heroes and legends. Slut shaming at its worst.
The girl is 15/16 years old (different reports of her age). It took Twitter hours and hundreds of emails to get them to react.
She is a young girl thrown to the lions.

SinisterSal Wed 21-Aug-13 14:33:53

I said 'as far as I can see'. It is true that many many teens go through a period of rejecting their parents values in favour of their peers'. It's not a controversial thing to say, nor is it a slight on your parenting.

comingalongnicely Wed 21-Aug-13 14:54:24

Sorry - didn't mean to come across as defensive. Too quick to type sometimes!

SinisterSal Wed 21-Aug-13 15:06:56

no problem!

zatyaballerina Wed 21-Aug-13 15:46:42

There needs to be a law to prosecute people for publishing videos or photos on social media that are used to bully, harass, intimidate, degrade, abuse or humiliate people.

Everybody makes mistakes and ten/fifteen years ago it would have been horribly embarrassing one best forgotten, she's unfortunate enough to be growing up in the age of camera phones and the internet where your every move is documented and every mistake risks exposing you to bullying, ridicule and abuse from the entire world. There is no escape for these kids. No wonder the poor girl is under sedation in hospitalsad

OctopusPete8 Thu 22-Aug-13 10:42:53

all the kids were the same age weren't they?

OctopusPete8 Thu 22-Aug-13 10:47:10

Unfortunately she doesn't have a leg to stand on, she was very publicly performing a sexual act, the people taking the pictures are not really in the wrong here. People have the right to take pictures of public things , whether you want to is another thing.

Its also a crime, to perform sex/acts in public and as far as I know they were all the same age.

So ,yeah's I feel for the lass, is she still under sedation??

Moln Thu 22-Aug-13 11:22:13

as far as I can tell nothing is known about the boy. his age etc, though it was reported that he's thought to be from Belfast (as is the girl who apparently uploaded the picture) and that he was possible involved in a public order incident before the concert.

YoniTime Thu 22-Aug-13 11:50:45

This was posted on the Feminist board. The situation for teenage girls and boys different, I guess that was OP's point. People, I assume some men, coming on the thread and just going omg i saw the pixx omg dirrty they're both guilty just don't seem to get that. It's disturbing actually. More analysis please.

scallopsrgreat Thu 22-Aug-13 11:57:17

Thank you Yoni. My thoughts entirely.

OctopusPete8 Thu 22-Aug-13 15:40:02

If thats aimed at me , I AM NOT A MAN.

plus I don't think anyones being mean here that I have seen, but it does have to be remembered a crime has been committed here.

Moln Thu 22-Aug-13 17:39:52

well here's one major difference, nothing is kniw about the boy, except where he (possibly) is from. The other male involved absolutely nothing.

The girl however her name was all over Twitter, as was where she's from, as was her age. This is because she's female, there are people attempting to justify that it's because she's the 'common demoninator' in the pictures.

However I've a strong feeling that if it where two females one man (being the common denominator) that it would be the two females having their details sort out and passed around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now