Don't let DD get too muscly

(21 Posts)

The climbing wall at our leisure centre starts at age 4. Dd1 and her little friend have been pleasing to go on it since it was built. I cannot wait for their birthdays!!
Dd1 already quite muscly from gymnastics. I'm v proud of my strong healthy girl grin

specialsubject Sat 17-Aug-13 19:02:55

she's 3?

defined muscles look good, anyway. The fool may be thinking of Madonna, who admittedly looks ridiculous but she's hardly a role model, any more than that horribly sick girl in the photo posted upthread.

LRDYaDumayuShtoTiKrasiviy Sat 17-Aug-13 12:58:25

That is an idiotic comment.

Little boys and little girls look pretty much the same until puberty, except for the way we dress them/ do their hair, don't they?

Franup Sat 17-Aug-13 11:28:59

One comment won't hurt and if you want to combat it keep her climbing. Girls are actively encouraged to become muscular. My 10 year old dd is a talented and obsessive climber and she has an amazing physique. They tend not to bulk up as it happens as the power to weight ratio is important so being lighter helps. To be honest we haven't had any negative comments at all from any generation! I'd be surprised if you got more, the athletic physique is widely out there as something positive for girls I think?

SPBisResisting Sat 17-Aug-13 11:09:07

I think sil will be on my side, she was ranting about "girls" colouring books being full of shoes and fairies when she bought dd one. I wish shed have some children so she can help me fight these battles grin she needs to drop this silly career nonsense she's got in her head and start making babies

SPBisResisting Sat 17-Aug-13 11:07:09

Hmm. Thats the thing, they already think of me as a feminist (and that is a bad thing) so whenever I say anything I feel as thougb I am rudely making a point.

badguider Sat 17-Aug-13 11:05:51

phew! thank goodness...

i'd just have laughed and said 'oh what quaint old fashioned ideas of feminininty grin'

SPBisResisting Sat 17-Aug-13 11:00:40

No sorry dh said "wow dd youre getting lovely muscly arms".
The feminine comment was <whispers> mil

badguider Sat 17-Aug-13 10:58:42

I don't understand - your HUSBAND said that about not letting her get too muscly???? And he thought it was encouraging her in her climbing??? WTF???

She should be as strong as she wants to be. The only people who think that muscles are 'unfeminine' are not the sort of people whose opinions are worth listening to.

sashh Sat 17-Aug-13 10:50:52

Yes that Jessica Ennis, all muscle.

No one would ever put her on a poster to advertise the Olympics, I mean it's not just the muscle but the lack of blue eyes and blonde hair. You can never be on the front cover of a magazine unless you have those and are also anorexic.

www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/330682/Jessica-Ennis-is-in-sparkling-form-for-the-Olympics

And as for getting married, well she won't find a husband will she, not with all that muscle.

www.newsrt.co.uk/news/pictures-olympic-champ-jessica-ennis-weds-1740285.html

Much better to look like this

t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkCHSKoOigXbyBa0TpmakML31B2KPlNxOFCNwu_xzBjJ4FAT9J

SPBisResisting Sat 17-Aug-13 10:22:22

exactly. We want DS and DD to grow up to be as strong as they can be. Not for DD to stop herself at a certain point in order to continue to be feminine.

grimbletart Sat 17-Aug-13 10:19:56

Muscles are good. Strength is good. What the hell is wrong with people who think muscles are bad?

SPBisResisting Sat 17-Aug-13 09:39:55

well she isn't really, but they both do rock climbing, and we tell them that the exercise will make them strong and healthy, and I think DH was just trying to encourage her

YoniTime Sat 17-Aug-13 09:36:01

I have never seen an overly muscly 3 yr old anyway...wtf?

SinisterSal Sat 17-Aug-13 00:02:41

they are worse a few years down, ime

SPBisResisting Sat 17-Aug-13 00:01:00

I'm hoping we can pass this off as "old fashioned views" - the original comment was DH complimenting her on her muscly arms from rock climbing.
Sadly, views are quite prevalent in my generation too but we'l see

SinisterSal Fri 16-Aug-13 23:59:07

Oooh it's awful isn't it.

It's alright being a positive role model at home, but we are not the only ones, are we. Fucking rising tide of nonsense.

<articulate at midnight>

SPBisResisting Fri 16-Aug-13 23:55:12

it does help grin
I just feel I'm fighting a losing battle trying to prevent DD (and DS) hearing the stereotyping crap. Each comment on their own - no big deal. But when it averages one a day or every other day, then the total will have an effect.

<still smarting from the "oooh a nurses kit" as DD pulled out the DOCTOR'S kit that my (female) cousin, a doctor, had bought her>

If it helps...we passed a woman the other day who looked Fatima Whitbreas in clothing and physique. She looked down at my 3 year old dd and said 'a little girl with a sword! Great!'
Kind of balanced out the crap gender stereotyping everywhere for that day grin

SPBisResisting Fri 16-Aug-13 23:39:43

join in my rant!
I said "oooh no she doesn't" but every time I have this sort of discussion I feel like an awkward difficult feminist.

SPBisResisting Fri 16-Aug-13 23:33:37

She still needs to look feminine
............aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......................
apart from anything else she is only 3 and an adorable little ball of squish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now