UKIP representative on why women should not be on boards

(19 Posts)
grimbletart Fri 16-Aug-13 17:28:41

Hmmm. Could be Organic100's doppelgänger.

Boosiehs Fri 16-Aug-13 17:09:40

My company's board is 2/3 women (inc me). And doing pretty well. He's the treasurer of a half arsed party full of twats.

edam Thu 15-Aug-13 21:07:11

He's clearly never heard of Victoria Coren then. Won £1m in one poker tournament alone.

BeCool Thu 15-Aug-13 21:05:28

I came to the assumption he's a sexist ignorant prick!

All by my little non chess playing self.

I reckon he just got mixed up between boards and board games. Easily done

FrigginRexManningDay Thu 15-Aug-13 21:02:09

Tondelayo That's for the secretary's and tea maids. Mr Wheeler needs someone's tits to ogle.

^^ sarcasm

Rooners Thu 15-Aug-13 21:01:29

Call me paranoid but why are we suddenly hearing so much about ukip? Are we being set up?

Is it that their members are so, so completely fuckwitted, that they make the tories look a little bit left wing?

What is their purpose because it's not what it seems, for sure.

Or he could look at another area where women and men 'compete' on an equal footing with no strength disparity. Like academia. Or school exams.

Although the primary way we choose to measure our young people's ability to dictate access to further study, professional training and graduate programmes isn't really as relevant as a board game.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Thu 15-Aug-13 20:58:04

My company's board is 60% women. We have just had one of our most successful years and I bet even the most junior female employee could wipe the floor with him on a commercial level.

Why do businesses like say GE have a Diversity officer on their board and a women's & LGBT network - because they don't want to lose talent, enterprise or expertise by only drawing from a smaller pool of white male talent.

FrigginRexManningDay Thu 15-Aug-13 20:54:07

Blistory he probably thinks your company is making frilly aprons and twee baskets and that's OK,but nothing important cause women are crap at that hmm !

Boosterseat Thu 15-Aug-13 20:53:24

Stratgey ? Im on a roll tonight. wine

Boosterseat Thu 15-Aug-13 20:52:03

He needs to do his homework Actual Goddess of Stratgey

Blistory Thu 15-Aug-13 20:01:35

I assume he's using card games to demonstrate that women are not as capable as men at strategy and forward planning. How he came to that conclusion is less clear.

But then I also assume that he's a thick, sexist bastard.

Boosterseat Thu 15-Aug-13 19:50:28

Am I being thick? What do card games have to do with the boardroom? If he is speaking about persons who compete in a competitive environment which I assume he is, then perhaps he should realise that whilst I am aware of many other female MPs I don't have a clue who he is?

So he isn't doing partially well on his own "playing field" is he? In fact he appears to be having his arse handed to him.

I think he may have grasping at straws.

Blistory Thu 15-Aug-13 19:47:49

Shit, I didn't get the memo that said I wasn't capable of being good at business. Should I just wind the Company up then ? And put my wonderfully productive and successful and mostly female workforce on the scrapheap ?

Or maybe I could consider the role that those women have played in our Company being successful and encourage them in their own development ?

Nah, think I'll just sent them a memo telling them that they come absolutely nowhere and to get back to the kitchen.

FranSanDisco Thu 15-Aug-13 19:20:08

What a wanky arse he sounds - bet he's about 100 years old. If he's younger bet he's single wink. Anyway I'm off to burn the dinner grin cos I'm shite at everything.

Woodhead Thu 15-Aug-13 19:19:09

Perhaps he needs to read about Judgit Polgar (chess grandmaster) and her early training as part of a social experiment.

It very nicely illustrates a nuture effect.

Also, is there "any" correlation at all between success in business and ability in chess? All those grandmaster entrepreneurs are just leaping out of my brain....

Boosiehs Thu 15-Aug-13 19:12:16

What a twat.

kim147 Thu 15-Aug-13 19:06:33

"Mr Wheeler spoke his mind at a debate on whether "gender quotas" should be imposed on companies to force them to appoint more women to senior positions.

"I would just like to challenge the idea that it is necessary to have a lot of women, or a particular number, on a board," he said.

"Business is very, very competitive and you should take the performance of women in another competitive area, which is sport where [men] have no strength advantage.

"Chess, bridge, poker - women come absolutely nowhere. I think that just has to be borne in mind."

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/gender-quotas-anger-at-ukip-treasurer-stuart-wheelers-counterargument-chess-bridge-poker--women-come-absolutely-nowhere-8763570.html

Apparently he was just speaking his mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now