So it's results day - what kind of pictures will the media use of successful students?

(32 Posts)
kim147 Thu 15-Aug-13 10:15:00

Just wondering. Or am I being too cynical?

Numberlock Thu 15-Aug-13 10:21:15

White middle class with a few tokens thrown in.

Numberlock Thu 15-Aug-13 10:21:52

Boys going on to uni to study engineering, girls going on to study languages.

RustyBear Thu 15-Aug-13 10:23:26

BBC has a video on their results news page - the still has two boys and a girl. The video interviewed two girls and a boy and featured another boy shaking hands with the principal.

Bunnylion Thu 15-Aug-13 11:32:44

lots of teenage girls jumping up and down, plus one token black boy

It's like those heat-wave stories news where a tabloid photographer goes to a British beach to take photos for the story - but every single photo is of young women in a bikini.

I'm a cynic.

HerBigChance Thu 15-Aug-13 11:43:18

Any A-Level Triplets so far?

AlpacaLunchYoubringyourbooster Thu 15-Aug-13 12:52:25

Bunnylion Agreed.

I really don't know what the DM are printing all those pictures of girls passing a-levels for - shouldn't they be in the kitchen making sandwiches by now? hmm

CiscoKid Thu 15-Aug-13 13:07:34

I risked a look at the Daily Mail web page. Overwhelmingly it shows girls/women celebrating with their clothes on. One girl has got to Cambridge overcoming dyslexia and dyspraxia. Just a head and shoulders shot of her, so I suppose she could be wearing bikini bottoms. There are a couple of boys on there too. One has overcome re-occurring thyroid cancer though, so we can probably excuse him. Another has gained access to Uni at the grand old age of 14. Girls have again outperformed boys in overall attainment at A* and A grades.

There seems to be a lot of very happy young people, which I think is quite nice really. I don't see an issue with the portrayal of female academic success on what is notoriously an awful website.

YouMakeMeWannaLaLa Thu 15-Aug-13 13:24:26
AlpacaLunchYoubringyourbooster Thu 15-Aug-13 13:50:50

Snort at lalas link grin

skrumle Thu 15-Aug-13 14:16:58

to provide a bit of balance, my local paper has lovely shots today of the kids who got the best results - so more girls, but only because they are the highest achievers. our results were out earlier so these are posed shots with all the kids in uniform.

HerBigChance Thu 15-Aug-13 14:49:13

Heh - that link is ace, LaLa grin

grin at lalas link.

SirChenjin Thu 15-Aug-13 15:00:10

Why don't you have a look at the other results day (ie the Highers) which have already taken place for an idea?

Somehow results day in Scotland always seems to be forgotten about by the UK wide BBC <mutter mutter mutter>

TiggyD Thu 15-Aug-13 17:15:53

The Daily Mail will use photos of "Happy students showing off their toned midrifs".

CiscoKid Thu 15-Aug-13 17:28:28

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2394239/A-Level-exam-results-Record-number-students-accepted-university-courses.html

Not a midriff in sight. Some legs some arms, some faces, but all sensibly dressed.

CiscoKid Thu 15-Aug-13 17:30:16

Bugger - wrong! There is a belly-button showing beneath a girl's black top about three-quarters of the way down. The wanton hussy!

TheCrackFox Thu 15-Aug-13 17:48:12

All sensibly dressed but overwhelmingly (95%) the photos were of good looking girls.

CiscoKid Thu 15-Aug-13 18:02:20

I don't know how to say this without appearing rude, but they aren't all 'good-looking girls' in the Page 3/model/skimpy clothes way that this thread is trying to imply. They are all normal. There is a girl with glasses and braces. There is a girl with her mum. There is a group of girls from Newcastle - 13 of them outside a red-brick building. They are all normal shapes, all normal appearance. Same with the group from Altrincham Grammar. It's the kind of look I see my daughter and her friends dressed in all the time.

Why try to turn this happy event into something that it isn't? It's quite sad really.

TheCrackFox Thu 15-Aug-13 18:15:34

Did no boys take A levels? Why were 95% of the photos of girls?

CiscoKid Thu 15-Aug-13 18:30:43

Third pic down, 4 boys. First video, Norfolk, majority of boys. Cerebal palsy sufferer, a boy. 12 year old boy with A* maths. 19 year old boy who has had cancer. Two boys on a video from Kent. A boy in Stoke Newington. A 13 year old boy off to read Economics. A boy in a football kit (phwoarrr!!). A boy from Birmingham with 5 A*'s. I can see all of those.

kim147 Thu 15-Aug-13 18:35:31

Ciscokid Over the last few years there's been a tradition of many of the papers only printing pictures of attractive females getting results.

It even spurned a website and a hashtag on Twitter.

Maybe they've got better?

kim147 Thu 15-Aug-13 18:37:43

And one private school is alleged to have invited journalists to its results day as it had attractive girls.

CiscoKid Thu 15-Aug-13 18:39:52

It appears so, kim. Even the Mail has cleaned up it's act. So why still deride it? hmm

kim147 Thu 15-Aug-13 18:44:38

Because I'm talking about what's been happening for the last several years.

So it's good to see a change.

At least the Telegraph is now being ironic about the whole thing grin

www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationpicturegalleries/10244946/A-level-results-in-pictures-girls-jumping-for-joy.html?frame=2644762

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now