Despicable me 2

(53 Posts)
NoComet Tue 06-Aug-13 15:59:48

I'm I the only person who was disappointed that the women spy/love interest was so stupidly thin.

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 08-Aug-13 00:13:17

In our everyday media there are a range of female body types. Women of all shapes, sizes and ages appear in our most popular TV shows. There are as many female character actors as there are male in movies. Yes, starring female roles in movies tend to favour a body type, but they favour a male body type for their stars also.

And finally, DM2 is a cartoon. Not one of the body types of any of the characters is realistic. They are all of cartoon proportions.

scallopsrgreat Thu 08-Aug-13 09:13:03

No Dione that isn't true. The overwhelming images portrayed in media is of thin, attractive women. Men have much more leeway in that respect.

NoComet Thu 08-Aug-13 09:46:32

Scallops puts it much better than me.
Yes, leading ladies are alwas exactly the same Hollywood stereo type. Men sometimes, but not always.

Difficult for box office takings not to have a pretty girl to get the men to pay up.

However, in a cartoon you can create any character you like. It would be nice to see a bit more variety.

KaseyM Thu 08-Aug-13 09:58:08

Of course there isn't as wide a range of female body shapes in the media as there are for men. Even in chick flicks the protagonist is usually of a certain type.

And when she isn't skinny an issue is usually made of her weight problem.

In documentaries men can be complete munters and what we listen to is their opinion. If there's a female presenter who isn't hot to trot she gets abuse.

As for the number of female characters in movies you must be having a laugh. I recommend you look at the Geena Davis Institute for Women in the Media.

And to assert that feminism is framing thin women as bad is as ridiculous as it is divisive. Feminism is about promoting balance not issuing judgement. The question isn't "what's wrong with having slim pretty women in the media?" But "what's wrong with NOT having them?"

To be fair, l like it's changing in recent years but it's taking a bloody long time.

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 08-Aug-13 13:09:19

Feminism is not about balance, nor is it about body shape, it is about equality and recognizing that women are as intelligent, driven and capable as men.

I grew up in the 70s and the female cartoon characters were pretty dire. Lucy in DM2 is none of those things. She is intelligent, capable and kick ass. Instead of celebrating this as a result for the feminist movement, the only thread here about it is criticizing her body type.

Starball, you say you would like to see more variety in the way characters are drawn. What would you like to see, shorter and thin or more hourglass shapes?

NoComet Thu 08-Aug-13 13:32:26

Simply more variety and, since they don't have to use Hollywood clones less lazy stereotyping.

Less thin woman goodie, fat woman comical, just a bit of imagination in a medium that allows imagination.

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 08-Aug-13 14:28:48

Lucy is a highly trained, super fit, kick ass spy with high flexibility. It stands to reason that she would be thin. Fat characters in Hollywood tend to be included for comical effect, regardless of gender.

For so long we have fought against seeing women as bodies. Feminism demanded that society stop focussing on women's image and urged us to look at the person underneath. The character is brilliant. The body shape shouldn't matter at all.

HoleyGhost Thu 08-Aug-13 15:01:15

<tries to imagine a plump male secret agent>

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 08-Aug-13 15:11:19

He had the desk job.grin

SirChenjin Thu 08-Aug-13 15:15:26

She was skinny, tall, average looking and had a fantastic career.

Nope, not getting your point at all OP hmm

maja00 Thu 08-Aug-13 15:16:33

Thin wasn't the issue for me, more that she was in ridiculous heels and a tiny dress the whole time!

grin It's a children's film, enjoy it and don't look into it so much!

ithaka Thu 08-Aug-13 15:32:47

What is wrong with being thin, athletic and fit? I think that is pretty aspirational actually. I don't want my daughters to be fat coach potatoes - a thin martial arts-expert secret-agent is much more the ticket.

She did not look like a Barbie doll - she was a skinny pear shape.

Do feminists really have to hate on thin, fit women? What about all those medal women olympic athletes - damn them for not being fat! Get real.

LeStewpot Sat 10-Aug-13 14:51:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ithaka Sat 10-Aug-13 15:01:24

Yes that is right, of course I will disown my daughters' if they are not tall and thin. Oh wait, I never said that at all, you are putting words into my mouth. I can hardly blame them if they aren't tall - I am only 5'1"!

I have been slim and fit all my life, so it is perfectly achievable and I think a reasonable aspiration to have for our children - childhood obesity is a genuine health issue and we should strive to encourage our children to be active and eat well.

Obviously people come in all shapes and sizes - I appreciate that more than most as I have horses and I know my native pony will never look like my Arab. However, we can all be fit and well within our body type - people and horses.

HoleyGhost Sat 10-Aug-13 18:49:07

Where does that 5% statistic come from? Carrying excess weight is not common everywhere.

SirChenjin Sat 10-Aug-13 19:35:17

Lestewpot - you do realise that this was a cartoon? For goodness sake get a grip and stop looking for issues where there aren't any.

scallopsrgreat Sat 10-Aug-13 23:04:14

Nobody hates thin women, ithaka. What a ridiculous statement to make. We are just recognising stereotypes. And getting tired of them. That is not a reflection on people who fit those stereotypes. It is a reflection on how society values and promotes those figures on women (and dresses them in ridiculous clothing by the sounds of it too). Cartoon characters can basically have any figure you want. It is not a coincidence that this woman was portrayed as tall and thin.

"Get a grip"

Bingo LeStewpot, your card is full hmm

LeStewpot Sun 11-Aug-13 09:58:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SirChenjin Sun 11-Aug-13 15:03:12

Yep, that bingo card is full for good reasons.

scallopsrgreat Sun 11-Aug-13 20:40:16

Ooh you're back are you LeStewpot. Thought this might have been a flying visit. As you see, nothing much has changed <rolls eyes>.

SirChenjin Sun 11-Aug-13 20:48:54

No, nothing ever changes on the feminist board <rolls eyes>

enderwoman Sun 11-Aug-13 21:36:11

I was pleased that she didn't wear heavy make up as too many kids films suggest that attractive women wear lots of make up (especially lipstick).
I thought she was a great character. She liked Gru for his personality and became the object of his affection without wearing heavy make up, short skirt and high heels.

ITCouldBeWorse Sun 11-Aug-13 23:47:07

Well she had a bizarre and cartoonish body shape, as did gru.

I did think the heels were silly, but so was everything else in the film.

More importantly are there no female minions?

SirChenjin Mon 12-Aug-13 08:06:17

I always thought the minions were the cartoon equivalent of hermaphrodites - whatever that equivalent is grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now