A Judge Labels a 13 year old girl as a "sexual predator" after SHE was sexually assaulted

(265 Posts)
LeStewpot Tue 06-Aug-13 12:18:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Caster8 Tue 06-Aug-13 18:00:09

Glad that this case has made it to the media.
Now the judge will be in the spotlight too.

kim147 Tue 06-Aug-13 18:03:30

That website looks like it's doing good work raising awareness.

Tabby1963 Tue 06-Aug-13 18:15:35

Wow, seems like there are a number of paedo sympathisers in our judicial system. Who knew!

This poor child who, at 13 is viewed as sexually experienced, therefore fair game to unscrupulous adults to exploit. Horrific. She must feel like sh*t. Has anyone asked how she became sexually experienced at such a young age??? And who is responsible???

Picklepepperpiper Tue 06-Aug-13 18:20:36

Have signed, am appalled that a 13 year old can be labelled as a predator. She's a child!

KnittedWaffle Tue 06-Aug-13 18:21:57

This is disgusting.
Signed.

kim147 Tue 06-Aug-13 18:23:06

It sounds like the same attitude the police and social workers took when children in care / at harm were abused by groups in Rochdale. They were underage but those who were supposed to care dismissed them and probably thought they were sexual predators as well so their abuse was dismissed.

Darkesteyes Tue 06-Aug-13 18:26:44

Signed Am absolutely disgusted with the judge and the prosecutor. Her past is irrelevent SHE is a CHILD she is a CHILD she is a CHILD.

I second Le Stewpot.. EverydayVictimBlaming have done/are doing amazing work and in a short space of time too.

tumbletumble Tue 06-Aug-13 18:34:14

Signed

AcrylicPlexiglass Tue 06-Aug-13 18:49:35

Disgusting.

The judge should be sacked.

OctopusPete8 Tue 06-Aug-13 19:29:36

Why did he describe her as that? confused

OctopusPete8 Tue 06-Aug-13 19:34:05

Why doesn't the fact he knew she was not nearly 16,not mean a definite sentence?

I could only imagine a lenient sentence on someone who genuinely thought the girl was of age, but he's quite brazen about the fact he didn't

caramelwaffle Tue 06-Aug-13 19:35:27

Absolutely outrageous!

5madthings Tue 06-Aug-13 19:48:48

fgs this is disgusting! one article says "she forced herself on him" really?! ffs he could and should have stopped her. the whole relationship was innapropriate and he encouraged it and let it continue.

the judge and the sentencing are a disgrace.

edam Tue 06-Aug-13 21:04:11

"A CPS spokesperson said: “The language used by prosecution counsel was inappropriate. The transgressor in this case was the defendant and he bears responsibility for his criminal acts.”

Taken from the Indie story. Let's hope someone senior at the CPS has pointed this out to the prosecuting barrister, not just told their press office what to say...

My comment was in response to the statements that it is impossible for a 13 year old to be a sexual predator.

I am not implying in any way that this girl was a sexual predator. She was a vulnerable victim who was abused and exploited.

I am questioning the statements from other posters that no child can ever be a sexual predator. It's all a bit too pertinent right now so perhaps I should have avoided the thread.

edam Tue 06-Aug-13 21:17:32

People are commenting on this case, where a 13yo victim has been attacked and her name blackened by the CPS and the judge. Not on a completely different case (that could be hypothetical for all we know) where a 5yo has been abused by a 13yo.

scallopsrgreat Tue 06-Aug-13 21:31:33

Thank you Edam. My comment was most definitely in context to the case and in the context of an adult man sexually assaulting a girl but the girl being called a sexual predator. There is a power dynamic going on and it isn't in favour of the girl. Just like in the case you cited ThreeBeeOneGee. I hope you are OK sad

Totally agree about the power dynamic aspect of it. And that in the case being discussed, the girl's actions or behaviour in no way excuse or mitigate what happened. I find RC & NP's attitudes very worrying.

Sorry if I jumped on people's statements out of context. Feeling a bit oversensitive this summer. Not hypothetical, but waiting for CPS to make a decision.

edam Tue 06-Aug-13 22:12:57

Hope they make the right decision, whatever that is, threeBee.

ProcrastinationStation Tue 06-Aug-13 22:54:43

The Judge in this case should be ashamed of himself. In the eyes of the law, a 13 year old is a child. The fact that a man, almost 30 years her senior admitted to abusing her and still walked away with a suspended sentence disgusts and appals me. Added to this, the Judge calls the child a 'sexual predator' - words fail me. It is NEVER the child's fault.

SIGNED!

Lilka Wed 07-Aug-13 00:47:51

SIGNED

Absolutely disgusting angry

I'm not sure what's worse, calling her 'predatory' or 'experienced' sad Calling child abuse 'experience' is so sickening it makes me want to actually be sick. And 'predatory' what the actual fuck?? Possibly due to past abuse she may act in a more sexualised/mature manner than other children her age which is sadly pretty common when young children are abused, but to use that to victim-blame is again, sickening.

To suggest a 13 year old could force a 41 year old into sex? I really would like to see the man who made those remarks to lose his job in addition to a review of the sentencing at the very least.

EmmelineGoulden Wed 07-Aug-13 07:04:04

Some good movement here: Headline news on the BBC website.

CPS have criticised the barrister they hired though their language, that it was "inappropriate", seems very inadequate to me. The Attorney General's office is looking at whether to seek a longer sentence.

Itstartshere Wed 07-Aug-13 08:59:57

I'm pleased this story was on the breakfast news this morning (BBC). I was worried it would be yet another story which maybe had a small mention in the press and that was it. At least people are responding with outrage to this. That has reassured me a little.

KnittedWaffle Wed 07-Aug-13 09:03:39

I agree itstartshere - good to see it getting media coverage. You know that things are bad when even the Daily Mail comments are criticising what the judge/prosecution said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now