sports day: Girls not allowed to run 400m

(112 Posts)
GotMyGoat Tue 16-Jul-13 21:37:34

Do you want to hear something jaw-droppingly outrageous?

School have sent out a message saying that due to health and safety concerns the sports day 400 m will become the 300 m race. Something about it being a sprint, a bit vague but ok. Fine. If you think it helps. Maybe it's connected to the hot weather?

Then, the email says that due to it being a sprint, and therefore posing a risk girls will not be allowed to run the 400m (now 300m) but boys will still be allowed.

What an awful example to set.

If girls run the 300m, do their heads fall off or something? Does anyone have any ideas why sprinting is more dangerous for girls?

I am so angry hat they think they can assume all boys are stronger/ better sprinters than all girls. I was awesome at the 400m at school and would have easily beaten most of the boys.

I'd like to send an email in reply, its going to be too late for this year but perhaps they can change their sexist attitude for next year? Any pointer of how I can sensitively call my employers sexist pigs? Many thanks!

rosy71 Thu 18-Jul-13 18:11:21

The 400m is not a sprint race
Yes it is. It's entirely possible not to run it as such but it is a classified as a sprint.

OddSockMonster Thu 18-Jul-13 14:34:06

I'm pretty sure I did 400m runs (not sprints) as a teen. Hated it, but maybe that's why I remember.

OP, this sports day may have passed but are you in a position suggest something different for next year?

forevergreek Thu 18-Jul-13 13:18:37

Huh, we see to start every sports lesson with a 400 m jog, then finish the lesson with a 400m sprint.

So x3 times a week for about 6 years

samandi Thu 18-Jul-13 12:48:50

How many of you have actually run 400m as a young teen?

Yes, I have, several times. During the 1995 heatwave too. You're not supposed to go all out, you have to pace yourself. Of course you will wind up on the floor if you treat it the same way as a 100m sprint.

samandi Thu 18-Jul-13 12:45:23

How utterly ridiculous.

The 400m is not a sprint race, it combines both anaerobic and aerobic fuel reserves.

I fail utterly to see why girls aren't allowed to participate in it, or indeed why it has been changed to 300m for boys. It's - as you say - quite jaw-dropping. Utterly offensive and retarded.

teetering13 Thu 18-Jul-13 12:15:43

It would be possible to name and shame anonymously

LRDYaDumayuIThink Thu 18-Jul-13 12:10:34

Not obvious so much as naive, teetering, but don't worry, I can understand why you thought it might be possible.

teetering13 Thu 18-Jul-13 11:41:55

Lets hope at least one parent whose child is at that school will question it then ...

LittleBearPad Thu 18-Jul-13 11:25:58

If the person who started this thread is a teacher at the school as seems to be the case then naming the school wouldn't be a very good career move. It would t take much effort for the headmaster to work out the likely whistleblower.

teetering13 Thu 18-Jul-13 11:17:34

I meant the person who named the school could remain anonymous ... was that not obvious?

I'm not really bothered if the schools named or not .. I've just googled to find any school that doesn't allow girls to run the 400/300m race but can't find one

I will accept it goes on though .. as of course wtf would anyone start a thread saying it does if it doesn't ... I just find it very hard to believe :/

momb Thu 18-Jul-13 10:51:13

The ages are staggered in line with advice on the adolescent growth spurt, particularly the effects of hormone levels on joint stability and development.
It is not just athletics that take this into account. The Imperial college of Teachers of Dance doesn't allow girls on point during this time either for the same reasons. Like wise the BGA has to put special steps in place for their gymnasts too.

piprabbit Thu 18-Jul-13 10:47:12

Fair enough to change the race for everyone from 400m to 300m, but to ban girls from participating at all is dire.

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 18-Jul-13 10:44:05

Extraordinary

I am staggered, and baffled

My poor DD had to run 400m this year! Why did no one tell me there was such a risk!!

hmm

notso Thu 18-Jul-13 10:34:31

DD did the 400m, she was the only girl in her year who entered so she had to run with the boys, she beat them all too grin

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 18-Jul-13 10:22:18

(and no, I won't be naming either my or their school to 'prove' it!)

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 18-Jul-13 10:21:59

It is totally plausible - girls never did the 400 at my school, and, on enquiry, neither do they at my girls' school now. It baffles and annoys them just as much as it does OP!

GrimmaTheNome Thu 18-Jul-13 10:07:22

WTF would anyone invent this? confused It sounds 100% plausible to me.

LRDYaDumayuIThink Thu 18-Jul-13 10:03:13

Erm ... 'anonymous' means 'without a name', ie., unidentifiable.

Funnily enough, I suspect naming the school would give a teeny tiny clue.

Don't be so irresponsible.

shock

teetering13 Thu 18-Jul-13 09:40:13

anonymously post the name of the school then smile

LRDYaDumayuIThink Thu 18-Jul-13 09:18:37

I used to do 400m. I'm really unfit and was back then, too.

You start at the start, you run for a bit, and you get to the end.

You probably do not try to sprint the whole thing, what with it being sports day and not the olympics.

Posting to say it's a hard race is utterly pointless if they're still letting the boys do it!

(Sorry, I know this thread has gone in the same circle at least twice already, but ...).

I'm shocked, TBH.

teetering, this is an anonymous forum.

Picturepuncture Thu 18-Jul-13 09:15:32

This was the rule when I was at school as well. It isn't new!

<on the fence as to the justness of it tbh>

teetering13 Thu 18-Jul-13 08:23:58

It doesn't matter how long the sprint is .. it's the fact boys can do it and girls can't ..

If it's too difficult for girls then it's too difficult for boys yet they aren't banned confused

Anyway, I still don't believe it ... no school would risk that amount of bad attention being thrown at it if it got out ... and funnily enough it's not got out, the OP is outraged but won't say what school it is hmm

It's a .4k sprint , people.

It's not an easy thing to do.

I gave great 800m & 1500m, but 400m? No thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now