horizon the "truth about personality"

(30 Posts)
MyHumpsMyLovelyBabyBumps Sat 13-Jul-13 00:12:01

Did anyone watch this? It's on Iplayer. It discusses the way our genes change and how some people can become pessimists etc. Quite a lot was made of a rat study where less maternal rats didn't lick their baby rats enough so those baby rats don't respond to stress well. Fair enough. I don't know if dad rats tend to stay in the picture or not, however they then said based on that study they were following depressed people and their interaction with their mothers. No mention whatsoever of dads and how they might affect a fmaily.

Human dads aren't rat dads right? There influence should matter shouldnt it? We aren't totally responsible for fuckin up our children alone?Majority of DV is husbands against their wives..does that not affect children.

I admit totally I'm not in any way scientific so maybe I am missing something huge and this is actually very good science. I just found it really problematic and just more shit to hit women with

grimbletart - I agree, They did kind of brush past it, the only explanation was that they had found 5 or 6 groups of genes different between each twin in multiple cases which could be a significant find, but no evidence on how these genes switched. It likely needs further exploration, but it would nice if they were clearer about that rather than appearing to link that with the rats thing.

kim147 Sun 14-Jul-13 19:30:19

Boring fact but I almost worked on that twin project back in the 1990s. I had the job offer but turned it down. Would have involved collecting lots of DNA.

MyHumpsMyLovelyBabyBumps Sun 14-Jul-13 20:20:57

I thought that too grumble.

I'd have jumped on that Kim. I have a weird fascination with twins blush

kim147 Sun 14-Jul-13 20:23:59

It was in London. I'd been there for 3 years and had got bored of it.

But an interesting study. My dad and uncle were identical twins but very very different personality despite similar upbringing.

garlicsmutty Sun 14-Jul-13 22:15:57

That's interesting ... <wanders off-topic> ... Would you know if your dad and uncle were monozygotic twins, or fraternal but look the same? There's a pair of identical-looking twins in my family, but they're not technically identical.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now