John Inverdale, for example ...

(155 Posts)
Wuldric Sun 07-Jul-13 09:45:08

Women get judged by how they look rather than by how they perform. This comment by John Inverdale has me seething. How is it even remotely acceptable in this day and age?

NigellasGuest Tue 09-Jul-13 11:26:19

how do you get people who tweet like that banned from twitter?
I'm sure people on twitter have been arrested or something for other misdemeanours? This makes me feel ill and upset all at once. There were similar tweets about Katie Walsh, the Grand National jockey, earlier this year. I wanted to complain then!

scallopsrgreat Tue 09-Jul-13 20:24:11

I don't know if anyone has seen this great piece by Hadley Feeman in CiF. I would imagine the usual don't read the comments applies! But she shows how the sexism extends to partners of the players too.

tribpot Tue 09-Jul-13 20:45:37

Yes, I can imagine that whilst a female player who isn't a 'looker' (TM Inverdale) can at least compensate by being actually good at tennis, the wives, who are deemed to serve no useful function but to watch and clap (which I very much doubt is the extent of the spouse-of-major-athlete role), must be decorative or be forever derided. Awful.

TheDoctrineOfAllan Tue 09-Jul-13 22:02:16

Good article.

I'm actually beginning to appreciate the laconic Murray.

I just complained. What a tosser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now