The buying of sex is now illegal in Scotland!

(22 Posts)
Ferraro1 Fri 28-Jun-13 17:53:23

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

minnehaha Fri 28-Jun-13 17:57:42

Bloody politicians! :-(

Ferraro1 Fri 28-Jun-13 17:58:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

badguider Fri 28-Jun-13 17:58:51

really??

What does that mean for all the Edinburgh 'saunas'?

Ferraro1 Fri 28-Jun-13 18:00:30

The prostituted women themselves aren't committing any crimes, but the johns are. They are the ones who will be arrested.

willyoulistentome Fri 28-Jun-13 18:03:11

I think it's a good thing.

Leithlurker Fri 28-Jun-13 18:40:32

I think we need a link, as I cannot find any evidence from the scottish media about this bill having passed, I find it odd that no mention appears.

WhentheRed Fri 28-Jun-13 20:01:24

There's a note on Rhoda Grant's twitter account that it fell. It would be a real shame if it has fallen.

I don't see how this will protect women.

WhentheRed Fri 28-Jun-13 20:29:36

Prostitution is inherently dangerous. The primary sources of the dangers are buyers and pimps. However, many persons in prostitution are frightened to call the police to prevent abuse because they fear being criminalised themselves. This proposed law would maintain the criminalisation of those who are the source of the danger while permitting those in prostitution to seek the protection of the state without fear of being prosecuted.

minnehaha Fri 28-Jun-13 20:53:57

WhentheRed - and just how many prostitutes have you encountered in your day to day life?
FYI - one cannot be prosecuted for being a prostitute as it is LEGAL

WhentheRed Fri 28-Jun-13 21:17:43

One can be prosecuted for being in a brothel and for solicitation. While the act of prostitution itself is not illegal, the commercial aspects of prostitution are illegal. For all practical purposes, prostitution is mostly illegal.

I know at least three women who have been prostituted. One started in prostitution when she was 11, the other two as young teenagers. I likely know more than that however.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Fri 28-Jun-13 22:11:29

Oh, I really hope this is true. I'd like a link too (don't use twitter).

Meantime, some good news for Ireland: www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/mediazone/pressreleases/name-17366-en.html

It does all sound very hopeful.

Leithlurker Fri 28-Jun-13 22:18:51

The top politicle story in most of the Scottish media today was the introduction of a 5p tax on plastic bags that was voted in to law today by the Scottish Parliament, not saying we do not have a lot going on up here but I definitely think the passing of a law criminalising the buying of sex would make the news. Nothing on any news outlet even some English based papers, so I think this is hope without any substance.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Fri 28-Jun-13 22:25:38

Depressing, but yes, you'd hope it'd be reported.

minnehaha Sat 29-Jun-13 04:43:02

Three (at least) prostitutes?...Wow!

WhentheRed Sat 29-Jun-13 06:20:03

minnehaha, this issue does not depend on how many people in prostitution someone knows. The legislators and jIt's not about collecting the most people. I have no doubt that pimps and buyers know way more prostituted people than I will ever know.

Now, what was the point of your asking me how many I know? Was it because you were disputing a point I made, or was it for some other reason?

If you were disputing the points I made that:

1. prostitution is inherently dangerous;
2. the primary sources of the danger are the buyers and the men; and
3. prostituted women will not report crimes against them to the police for fear of prosecution,

those are all arguments made by the pro-legalization lobby.

Both the pro-legalization lobby and the Nordic model lobby agree that the people in prostitution should not be criminalised. The difference between that lobby and the Nordic Model lobby are whether the buyers and the pimps should be legalized too. The former group say yes. The latter group says no - because that very group causes the very danger to people in prostitution.

GoshAnneGorilla Sat 29-Jun-13 15:34:57

Shall I get my bingo card out?

Are we about to hear about the tons of "sex workers" who love their work, have wonderful, lovely clients (because they are super clever and know how to spot dodgy men, unlike the many women working in the sex industry who are attacked by punters) and it's just the mean nasty feminists who make the world a sad place for the many, many "happy hookers" out there.

Bonus points for any accusations that being anti sex industry means you're frigid/jealous/bad in bed/paranoid your husband will sleep with a prostitute.

Eyes down everyone...

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 29-Jun-13 15:39:29

Rhoda Grant's Bill was not passed. It failed to gain cross-party support and has been booted.

Rhoda is disappointed.

SirChenjin Sat 29-Jun-13 15:41:03

I've just been onto the SG website and can't see this mentioned anywhere - link please OP?

aboutus Wed 03-Jul-13 02:08:08

Leithlurker Wed 03-Jul-13 04:56:45

Aboutus: The link is not to a bill that has been passed in to law, it is a link to a proposed bill. Not even a bill that is currently making it's way through the different steps to become law. It is only saying that it has crossed the first theshold of the process. I am sorry but you seem to have misunderstood the meaning of the information on the page.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now