Princess stories for feminists?

(23 Posts)

Can anyone recommend some good stories for a 6 yr old girl who is princess obsessed, but with a less sappy, candy floss, oh prince come save me attitude please?

I have recently come across some babette cole stuff which i like but looking for more ideas please

There was a book featured on Bookaboo called The Worst Princess which properly sent up the whole damsel in distress cliché.

It was rather fun smile.

evelynj Wed 26-Jun-13 11:40:37

Have you seen little princess? There are probably books but the tv series is great!

I loved the worst witch when I was wee smile

AuntieStella Wed 26-Jun-13 11:44:55

Ella's Big Chance - a reworking of Cinderella which twists the end, with Ella jilting the Prince to run away with her best friend Buttons.

Rosie55 Wed 26-Jun-13 11:45:47

Julia Donaldson's 'The Princess and the Wizard' is good - the princess gets herself out of trouble by using her own ingenuity.

Princess Smartypants by Babette Cole for younger readers. My DS really liked it, the illustrations are not girlie either.

Oops didn't see age, should have read your op more carefully.

LifeofPo Wed 26-Jun-13 11:49:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HesneyChalks Wed 26-Jun-13 11:52:08

The Paperbag Princess is the best!!!! My dd loves it and so do I. Please check it out. grin

HesneyChalks Wed 26-Jun-13 11:53:41

Here's a link www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1554512115

Honestly, buy it, it's fab!!

mrsyattering Wed 26-Jun-13 11:58:45

The worst Princess by Anna Kemp is good, my 6yr old dd likes it. She also still enjoys Princess Smartypants by Babette Cole. Her teacher read it to her P1 class

ArabellaBeaumaris Wed 26-Jun-13 12:05:51

The Wrestling Princess.

phantomnamechanger Wed 26-Jun-13 12:06:40

Zog by Julia Donaldson is about a dragon who gets into lots of scrapes learning all the things dragons have to learn, including kidnapping the princess who is then rescued by a dazzling knight. BUT she then decided she does not want to return to the palace and her silly frilly dresses and goes off on dragon back as a flying doctor.

There's a good list of princess books at A Mighty Girl.

LittleFrieda Wed 26-Jun-13 12:08:55

The one where the two ugly sisters spend their entire lives debating the metanarrative of the power of the patriarchy is excellent. grin

thank you everyone

TanteRose Thu 27-Jun-13 11:00:23

Maybe a bit young? But DD loves the princess and the peas

TerrariaMum Thu 27-Jun-13 17:23:10

Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles though those may be a read aloud choice or mm kaye's The Ordinary Princess.

Takver Thu 27-Jun-13 20:16:08

I would second the Ordinary Princess smile Just right for a 6 y/o

tribpot Thu 27-Jun-13 20:18:46

I third The Ordinary Princess - I love that book.

jeee Thu 27-Jun-13 20:21:33

The Last of the Dragons, E Nesbit.

Might be the best part of a century old, but any book that has the princess pointing out that she's better at fencing and fighting than any of the local princes has to be mentioned.

weblette Thu 27-Jun-13 20:25:55

Igraine the Brave by Cornelia Funke is great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now