Anyone watching Texas senator Wendy Davis filibuster the anti-abortion bill?

(421 Posts)
MmeLindor Tue 25-Jun-13 21:08:33

You can watch here

She has to talk till midnight, so that is 13hours. Without a break, without sitting down.

MmeLindor Thu 27-Jun-13 08:23:27

If you are looking for people to follow on Twitter - Irin Carmon (@irincarmon) is great. I was in Kenya with her last year and she has done loads of work in this area and is v well informed. She writes for salon.com and is soon to be moving to MSNBC.

Also Michelle Goldberg (@michelleinbklyn), who wrote The Means of Reproduction. It is a great book, which looks at the global battle over reproductive rights, including contraception, abortion, FGM.

I don't know enough about US political system, but I presume that the GOP will push their agenda through eventually.

FreedomOfTheTess Thu 27-Jun-13 10:10:12

In Texas they will, as GOP have the majority in Senate, for the moment at least!

FreedomOfTheTess Thu 27-Jun-13 10:11:17

Thanks for the Twitter recs, will follow them right now.

Probably an obvious question - what does GOP stand for?

MmeLindor Thu 27-Jun-13 11:24:43

Grand Old Party

or Grand Old Patriarchs

Grumpy Old Patriarchs

Sure there is a lot of fun been had over the years with that.

grin

FreedomOfTheTess Thu 27-Jun-13 11:32:00

Just been told by a lovely Republican man, that he hopes my children get cancer, because I speak the word of the devil.

This is why I hate Twitter sometimes.

MmeLindor Thu 27-Jun-13 11:43:14

Block and ignore.

I don't get into arguments with anyone about this topic. It turns ugly too quickly.

FreedomOfTheTess Thu 27-Jun-13 11:46:13

I did MmeLindor - didn't even bother replying - not worth my time.

ThirdTimesABrokenFanjo Thu 27-Jun-13 13:02:59

pro- life

its a funny old word isnt it?
you're allowed to block every bill that would feed and provide medical care to actual children.

you're allowed to wish cancer on actual children.

you're allowed to block medical care to actual women. make it unaffordable and then take away free clinics.

and be pro death penalty confused

oh and davis haa had her office fire bombed.

you'd almost think its nothing to do with being pro-life and everything to do with hating women.

AmandaPandtheTantrumofDoom Thu 27-Jun-13 13:06:32

You know what, I think maybe the phrase pro-life needs to be reclaimed.

I am pro-life! I am pro-women's lives. I am pro-children's lives. I am pro-men's lives. I am pro-curing people who are sick, feeding people who are hungry and pro-supporting those who are poor.

I am pro-life damn it.

I happen to also be pro-the-right-to-access-safe-and-legal-abortion.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Thu 27-Jun-13 13:08:27

YY, 'pro-life' really pisses me off. Especially in this context.

FreedomOfTheTess Thu 27-Jun-13 13:27:31

This special session is going to cost $30,000.

Texas' debt is $287 billion.

It may "only" be $30,000, but that's $30,000 more on the debt clock.

Yes Thirdtimes The rather cuddly phrase pro life is actually cover for some distinctly murderous and / or violent attitudes.

FreedomOfTheTess Thu 27-Jun-13 13:37:07

In my aunt's words...

Texas Republicans are pro-life until birth.

SconeRhymesWithGone Thu 27-Jun-13 14:00:56

As I understand it, in the special session, they will have to start over with the process, and there will be far greater scrutiny this time. Cecile Richards, who is head of Planned Parenthood (and also a Texan; she is the daughter of former governor of Texas Ann Richards) has vowed to fight on. GOP will likely prevail but it could be a turning point in the long game because there is a rising tide of support for alternatives to the hard right in Texas.

It was amazing to me the amount of coverage Wendy Davis got in national news media yesterday in the US, especially considering it was such a big news day on other fronts. And you could tell that the women newsreaders and commentators especially could hardly contain their excitement and admiration. Wendy Davis even gave some interviews, which was very impressive to me. She must have been utterly exhausted. (She had the pink sneakers she wore for the filibuster on the window sill behind her.)

edam Thu 27-Jun-13 21:15:38

Love the pink sneakers getting a walk-on part, as it were...

She's just SUCH a star, as were the whole team behind her. I know the fight goes on and all that, the dinosaurs won't just succumb to a handy meteorite, but still, it's a major battle won and a disaster avoided. For now.

SconeRhymesWithGone Thu 27-Jun-13 21:31:07

Check out this thread with the reviews on Amazon of the sneakers.wink
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/1790226-Review-of-the-pink-tennis-shoes-worn-by-Wendy-Davis

tribpot Thu 27-Jun-13 22:30:51

I love those reviews! This one is extremely well done:

"I was in the market for new shoes a few years back. One night I went to the shoe store and ran into this very pushy salesmen. I told him that I was browsing and not quite ready to buy yet. He wouldn't let up on his sale tactics and forcibly put a pair of shoes on me. I ran out of the store crying, not sure what to do.

Every time I would try to take them off, a man would show up out of nowhere and tell me that if I didn't want them I shouldn't have put them on in the first place. When I tried to explain they were forced upon me he would say if they were legitimately forced on me, my body would have rejected them. And if that was the case, i should have taken them off sooner. Luckily I had the means to leave the state. At which point I could finally take those shoes off."

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Thu 27-Jun-13 23:20:22

I don't see a link to this ... what a load of misogynistic crap! angry

www.youtube.com/watch?&v=zB2P9CSxAdY

FreedomOfTheTess Fri 28-Jun-13 12:22:54

Rick Perry just proves how clueless he is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now