"Miss" being the equivalent of "Sir"

(54 Posts)
heidihole Sat 22-Jun-13 15:11:56

I was reading this article today about the ball boys and girls of Wimbledon.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2346256/Never-mind-Andy-Murray--ball-girls-boys-REALLY-hell-star-Wimbledon.html?ico=home^editors_choice

I was sad to see that they are all professionally and formally trained to say (for example holding open a door) "after you, Sir" or "after you, Miss"

AIBU to think that the equivalent of Sir is not Miss! It should be Madam or M'am.

quotes from the article:

From the minute they step in here, they’re under no illusions as to what is acceptable, down to tying shoelaces with two knots, addressing us all as “Miss” or “Sir” and opening doors,’ she says.

Goldson trains her ball boys and girls not to chat with the players. If spoken to or asked about a line call, they are instructed to say: ‘I don’t know, Sir/Miss’ — even if they do.

Their backs are straight, their hair is gleaming, their shirts are tucked in, they look you in the eye, smile sweetly and hold doors open with an ‘After you, Miss’.

If I was asked the equivalent of Miss I would say Mr. As in, "Excuse me, Mr, have you got the time please? Excuse me, Miss have you got the time please"

A small thing but irritating me none the less.

EvilTwins Mon 24-Jun-13 19:01:14

I stopped caring about being called Miss (or rather Miiiiiiisss) years ago (teacher) If I email students I sign them Mrs E (rather than full surname) and will refer to the other teacher in my dept as Mrs H. I find it odd when the kids email back though and start "Dear Mrs" or "Hi Mrs" (no surname) I guess they know I'm married, even though they call me Miss. I did have one colleague, who's left now, who used to call all female teachers Miss (even in the staff room- where it's perfectly acceptable to use first names) That was weird. It always made me feel like he couldn't be bothered to remember who I was.

stealthsquiggle Mon 24-Jun-13 19:13:15

EvilTwins - half of DS's teachers seem to be known by their initials (Mr P, Miss P (no relation, and Mrs P, who is married to Mr P, is also on the staff but known by her full surname), Mrs Q, Mr AB (double-barrelled surname) - I think it is strange, but it seems to work, and it's definitely better than Sir and Miiiiiiss

SconeRhymesWithGone Mon 24-Jun-13 19:32:11

Ma'am pronounced as marm can create confusion to the American ear. Last night I was watching Inspector Lewis on TV. DH was on his Ipad and not paying much attention, but at one point looked up and asked me "Why is he calling his boss Mom?"

EvilTwins Mon 24-Jun-13 19:32:18

They only do it in writing though. No one calls me Mrs E in person, except Mrs H. The kids still call me Miiiiiiiss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now