Keeping the speed limit at 70

(58 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

specialsubject Mon 24-Jun-13 19:53:01

lunaticfringe - perhaps just the ignorant have been alienated?

anyone who doesn't know that going faster uses more fuel should be quite ashamed of how thick they are. Basic science.

no, that doesn't mean we all drive around at 10mph, but there is no need for the motorway limit to be raised. The UK's roads are too congested for it to make a difference.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 24-Jun-13 17:46:11

>I saw a news report which said I think that 53% of women supported the change and 73% of men.

That's what I quoted below - the survey was only of drivers, I'm not sure if there has been a poll of the population at large.

eurozammo Mon 24-Jun-13 14:02:05

I saw a news report which said I think that 53% of women supported the change and 73% of men. So I think that stat is what led to women being blamed for this, even though in fact a majority want the change regardless of gender!

EmmelineGoulden Mon 24-Jun-13 13:55:04

I don't think it's likely but I can see another scenario - There could be more complexity to the decision, such as a rise might be expected to increase road deaths or environmental damage and women might be known to be politically sensitive to those outcomes(*). So even of they said they were happy with an 80 limit in a simple survey about driving, they might still be expected to be turned off the Conservatives if the rise went ahead because of some of the outcomes of such a policy.

Also, even if the is a poll showing women 60% in favour, when it comes to polling for politicians, they are really only interested in potential voters for their party, so can discount all the women who would never vote or never vote Tory. Still seems like sloppy communication or a blame-the-women-instead-of-highlighting-differences-between-ministers mentality is a more likely explanation.

*I do not know if raising the NSL would have those outcomes, or if women are more politically sensitive to safety and environmental policies it's just an example of the way indirect priorities might impact this decision.

SirChenjin Mon 24-Jun-13 11:17:39

At least then you would know for sure what they are basing their plans on

SirChenjin Mon 24-Jun-13 10:56:07

Email them for clarification?

SirChenjin Mon 24-Jun-13 09:54:23

Without asking the DofT for clarification it's all conjecture.

notcitrus Mon 24-Jun-13 09:21:49

I'd bet they've ditched the proposal for a number of reasons based on research and focus groups etc. The question is why is only part of the female vs male opinion being reported.

Sadly it seems that people read/remember articles with male vs female headlines, no matter what the content. I don't see how we can get misleading headlines banned...

SirChenjin Mon 24-Jun-13 09:19:09

Has anyone written to the Dept of Transport asking for clarification?

RoooneyMara Mon 24-Jun-13 09:12:40

well being female and a driver of some 18 years, as well as a motorcyclist I don't want the limit raised. JMO.

I avoid motorways as it is, far too bloody fast.

Animation Mon 24-Jun-13 08:56:48

Yes it is patronising. I consider myself a nifty good female driver, but I confess that I do get irritated with slow over cautious female drivers - and there seems more around than men. So the attitude to women in this case may be justified - and probably evidence based ..in my experience anyway.

specialsubject Sun 23-Jun-13 14:15:00

perhaps more women have studied science and know that drag goes up as square of speed.

anyone who drives at 80 or who favours that being the limit needs to stop whining about the cost of fuel.

TabithaStephens Sun 23-Jun-13 13:28:18

What would be the point of banning the Sun from sale in Parliament?

Trills Sun 23-Jun-13 10:32:55

stargirl just because you would support it does not mean that they are wrong that on average women voters may not support it.

sashh Sun 23-Jun-13 07:16:16

Yes not raising the speed limit would deter women voters.

Completely refusing to even consider banning 'The Sun' from sale in parliament while there is page 3 pics - that's not going to lose any female votes is it?

BeeBawBabbity Sat 22-Jun-13 23:19:41

This was discussed on weekend women's hour today. The female racing driver they interviewed pointed out that the majority of women were in favour of change. Her point was ignored, I guess it's better (from a media perspective) to have someone to blame. Sigh.

GrimmaTheNome Sat 22-Jun-13 21:01:01

Its bizarre. Under the 'Female votes put the brake on 80mph speed limit' - which before I'd read the piece I assumed meant there'd been a vote in one of the Houses which (somehow, despite their low numbers) had been swayed by women - there are stats from an AA survey of 13,000 drivers. 63% were in favour of increasing the limit to 80 including 73% men and 53% women, with 43% of women thinking the limit should remain at 70mph. So... the majority of women drivers are in favour of the 80 limit. Of course, we don't know from that what the opinions of non-drivers are. Maybe there's a lot of women non-drivers with husbands who insist on driving at 10mph above the limit whatever it is.

I'd take a small bet that if women were surveyed on speed limits, they would be quite relaxed about the motorway limit but much more concerned about enforcing 30 limits in built up areas and 20mph school zones - reducing the number of child casualties.

stargirl1701 Sat 22-Jun-13 20:47:10

I find it patronising. And, wrong. I am a woman and I would support raising the motorway speed limit to 80,

BasilBabyEater Sat 22-Jun-13 20:20:36

Most accidents don't happen on "accident blackspots" though.

They happen on normal bits of road.

They are due to driver error.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now