Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SirChenjin Mon 24-Jun-13 10:56:07

Email them for clarification?

SirChenjin Mon 24-Jun-13 11:17:39

At least then you would know for sure what they are basing their plans on

EmmelineGoulden Mon 24-Jun-13 13:55:04

I don't think it's likely but I can see another scenario - There could be more complexity to the decision, such as a rise might be expected to increase road deaths or environmental damage and women might be known to be politically sensitive to those outcomes(*). So even of they said they were happy with an 80 limit in a simple survey about driving, they might still be expected to be turned off the Conservatives if the rise went ahead because of some of the outcomes of such a policy.

Also, even if the is a poll showing women 60% in favour, when it comes to polling for politicians, they are really only interested in potential voters for their party, so can discount all the women who would never vote or never vote Tory. Still seems like sloppy communication or a blame-the-women-instead-of-highlighting-differences-between-ministers mentality is a more likely explanation.

*I do not know if raising the NSL would have those outcomes, or if women are more politically sensitive to safety and environmental policies it's just an example of the way indirect priorities might impact this decision.

eurozammo Mon 24-Jun-13 14:02:05

I saw a news report which said I think that 53% of women supported the change and 73% of men. So I think that stat is what led to women being blamed for this, even though in fact a majority want the change regardless of gender!

GrimmaTheNome Mon 24-Jun-13 17:46:11

>I saw a news report which said I think that 53% of women supported the change and 73% of men.

That's what I quoted below - the survey was only of drivers, I'm not sure if there has been a poll of the population at large.

specialsubject Mon 24-Jun-13 19:53:01

lunaticfringe - perhaps just the ignorant have been alienated?

anyone who doesn't know that going faster uses more fuel should be quite ashamed of how thick they are. Basic science.

no, that doesn't mean we all drive around at 10mph, but there is no need for the motorway limit to be raised. The UK's roads are too congested for it to make a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now