Keeping the speed limit at 70

(58 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BasilBabyEater Sat 22-Jun-13 14:33:47

Yes LF, I was responding to Edgar's post. smile

BasilBabyEater Sat 22-Jun-13 14:34:40

I'm wondering why the massive generalisation is occurring?

Is there actually any research that says that women in general are less in favour of upping motorway speed limit?

Or is it just an assumption?

NiceTabard Sat 22-Jun-13 15:29:17

How are they intending to enforce it?
What of the fact that speedometers aren't 100% accurate so a speedo showing 80 could actually be doing 81?
All it will actually mean is everyone will drive 10mph faster than they were before and a small % of them will get caught as before.
Seems like an odd thing to do.

Startail Sat 22-Jun-13 15:34:10

Fuck, so now we are getting the blame for the government not having the courage to make the law what everyone, men and women do anyway.

Honestly is there nothing that isn't women's fault angry

EdgarAllanPond Sat 22-Jun-13 16:21:40

"Road design isn't responsible for most accidents. "

then why are there accident blackspots?

you say 'driver error' - some bits of road make it really easy for drivers to make errors.

Rufus43 Sat 22-Jun-13 16:56:06

Lunatic fringe, sorry I know that it's the gov proposal that's been dropped because they are worried that they will lose woman's votes. I did read the article.

My point ( not very well made!) was that the headline suggested that it was a done deal because women had voted no

BasilBabyEater Sat 22-Jun-13 20:20:36

Most accidents don't happen on "accident blackspots" though.

They happen on normal bits of road.

They are due to driver error.

stargirl1701 Sat 22-Jun-13 20:47:10

I find it patronising. And, wrong. I am a woman and I would support raising the motorway speed limit to 80,

GrimmaTheNome Sat 22-Jun-13 21:01:01

Its bizarre. Under the 'Female votes put the brake on 80mph speed limit' - which before I'd read the piece I assumed meant there'd been a vote in one of the Houses which (somehow, despite their low numbers) had been swayed by women - there are stats from an AA survey of 13,000 drivers. 63% were in favour of increasing the limit to 80 including 73% men and 53% women, with 43% of women thinking the limit should remain at 70mph. So... the majority of women drivers are in favour of the 80 limit. Of course, we don't know from that what the opinions of non-drivers are. Maybe there's a lot of women non-drivers with husbands who insist on driving at 10mph above the limit whatever it is.

I'd take a small bet that if women were surveyed on speed limits, they would be quite relaxed about the motorway limit but much more concerned about enforcing 30 limits in built up areas and 20mph school zones - reducing the number of child casualties.

BeeBawBabbity Sat 22-Jun-13 23:19:41

This was discussed on weekend women's hour today. The female racing driver they interviewed pointed out that the majority of women were in favour of change. Her point was ignored, I guess it's better (from a media perspective) to have someone to blame. Sigh.

sashh Sun 23-Jun-13 07:16:16

Yes not raising the speed limit would deter women voters.

Completely refusing to even consider banning 'The Sun' from sale in parliament while there is page 3 pics - that's not going to lose any female votes is it?

Trills Sun 23-Jun-13 10:32:55

stargirl just because you would support it does not mean that they are wrong that on average women voters may not support it.

TabithaStephens Sun 23-Jun-13 13:28:18

What would be the point of banning the Sun from sale in Parliament?

specialsubject Sun 23-Jun-13 14:15:00

perhaps more women have studied science and know that drag goes up as square of speed.

anyone who drives at 80 or who favours that being the limit needs to stop whining about the cost of fuel.

Animation Mon 24-Jun-13 08:56:48

Yes it is patronising. I consider myself a nifty good female driver, but I confess that I do get irritated with slow over cautious female drivers - and there seems more around than men. So the attitude to women in this case may be justified - and probably evidence based ..in my experience anyway.

RoooneyMara Mon 24-Jun-13 09:12:40

well being female and a driver of some 18 years, as well as a motorcyclist I don't want the limit raised. JMO.

I avoid motorways as it is, far too bloody fast.

SirChenjin Mon 24-Jun-13 09:19:09

Has anyone written to the Dept of Transport asking for clarification?

notcitrus Mon 24-Jun-13 09:21:49

I'd bet they've ditched the proposal for a number of reasons based on research and focus groups etc. The question is why is only part of the female vs male opinion being reported.

Sadly it seems that people read/remember articles with male vs female headlines, no matter what the content. I don't see how we can get misleading headlines banned...

SirChenjin Mon 24-Jun-13 09:54:23

Without asking the DofT for clarification it's all conjecture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now