Interesting infographic on homicide or physical/sexual assault by partner

(10 Posts)
OneMoreChap Sun 23-Jun-13 12:26:19

Sorry, TDoA I was reading that as an intersection. Partner killings and Partner as "honour" killer.

I have no point to score here, just in case you thought that's what it is about. It's all too depressing for words.

OneMoreChap Sun 23-Jun-13 12:23:37

namechangeguy
OMC, why do you say 'sadly quite a lot of female perpetrators'? Why is it more sad that women take part too? This isn't point-scoring between the sexes, is it?

By no means.

This one is patriarchal culture though where a woman's "virtue" [or value of "her" dowry] is disposed of as a family asset and brainwashed family members male&female think it appropriate to kill/mutilate those who go against the direction set by the family.

It's sad that woman have so bought into the patriarchy - or if you prefer to the oppressive culture which denigrates the value of woman as individual.

TheDoctrineOfAllan Fri 21-Jun-13 18:52:17

Eh, OMC? This chart is % of female homicides committed by a partner in different geographies, so % of female homicides committed by a family member (not partner) would be another subset of all female homicides.

namechangeguy Fri 21-Jun-13 18:02:45

OMC, why do you say 'sadly quite a lot of female perpetrators'? Why is it more sad that women take part too? This isn't point-scoring between the sexes, is it?

OneMoreChap Fri 21-Jun-13 16:39:20

TDoA jeez - honour killings? surely close to 100% female victims [but sadly quite a lot of female perpetrators collaborators I'd imagine. Cultural again at a guess?]

TheDoctrineOfAllan Fri 21-Jun-13 16:08:07

Yes, it does.

Wonder what "homicide by family member" stats eg honour killings, family annihilators are.

OneMoreChap Fri 21-Jun-13 12:12:53

I guess the key point is it shows the horrific level of assaults on women everywhere...

claraschu Fri 21-Jun-13 10:30:46

Also, different countries / cultures will have very different ideas about what constitutes rape or sexual assault. Women on this forum would consider certain actions within a marriage to be assault which would not be recognised as assault in another place. Are the same standards being used to classify violent acts across different countries? Do women report violence in the same way in different cultures?

AutumnMadness Fri 21-Jun-13 10:23:04

This is very interesting, but I think the first graph is rather easy to misinterpret. It says "homicides of women by a partner as % of all homicides of women." Essentially, it does not measure the magnitude of violence against women by partners or the likelihood for a woman to be killed by a partner. All it measures is the percent of women that were killed by partners out of the total murders of women.

So, if country A has 100 homicides of women and 20 of them are by partners, and country B has 10 homicides of women and 7 of them are by partners, the statistic for country A will be 20% and for country by 70%. But country B (population being equal) is definitely a safer place for women as the overall homicide of women rate is lower.

So I am not sure what this statistic demonstrates. It can't be used to compare countries as we do not know overall homicide rates for them. It really only says that in South-East Asia women are less likely to be killed outside than in their own homes as families, and for the other regions it is reverse, if not by much.

OneMoreChap Fri 21-Jun-13 08:14:24

From the economist

Looks like the risks of homicide by partner are higher in Western Europe (high income) and South East Asia. Stressors & culture?

Physical/sexual assault is contrasting lower (though still far too high) in Western Europe - is education finally making a difference or are women less likely to tolerate?

Central Africa 60%+ experience physical sexual assault - has to be something about value of women in culture, surely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now