Challenging Tesco over 'men's interest' magazines

(8 Posts)
SugarandSpice126 Wed 19-Jun-13 12:30:05

The other day, after yet again seeing the politics, history and science magazines under the 'men's interests' section in Tesco, I asked to speak to the manager about it. He said that the magazines were there because that's just where they're told to put them by head office/big bosses, as apparently they 'sell better' there. He was apologetic, but I could see another male worker nearby snickering at what I was saying. It makes me so angry that in 2013, so many still see subjects like science and politics as men's domain. It gives the impression that such difficult subjects are too serious for silly women.

I think it's unacceptable that when children walk through supermarkets, they see all the 'girly' magazines under one section, and more 'serious' topic magazines for all the men. They are growing up being put in a box, and told that they have no place being interested in academic pursuits.

Please tell me it's not just me getting so worked up about this. I've sent an email to Tesco, but I'm trying to think of ideas to actually make them listen.

ParsleyTheLioness Wed 19-Jun-13 18:00:02

You're not on your own. Kills my pig too. Not big on ideas tho'. Could you Twitter them? May well be something Everyday Sexism on Twitter would re-tweet for you.

SugarandSpice126 Wed 19-Jun-13 18:22:43

I've retweeted with them, their tweets are really good

SugarandSpice126 Wed 19-Jun-13 18:25:12

Oops didn't mean to send so soon. I should have taken a photo! I'm

SugarandSpice126 Wed 19-Jun-13 18:30:50

- pretty sure other people have convinced some stores to move them, but maybe that's just with individual stores rather than the head. I've been meaning to check whether stores like WH Smith do the same. (Sorry for incomplete posts!)

It's not just you.

Google lose the lad mags . They've got a meeting with Tesco's to discuss this subject. I'm sure they 'd be keen to hear about the sniggering shop staff.

Bunnylion Thu 20-Jun-13 16:04:03

I did this recently by emailing them see response here

They since moved New Scientist to the shelf below "men's interests" in my local Tesco, it's now with the car magazines. There's not a "men's interests" label on the lower shelf but its certainly not been repositioned between "Glamour" and "Knitting 101".

SugarandSpice126 Thu 20-Jun-13 19:29:36

Fantastic that they've moved it. It's odd that my local (small) store still says it gets instructions from above to put those magazines in 'men's interests' then. In the bigger superstore here those magazines are just in a 'lifestyle and hobbies' or similar section - much better.

And sauce I will google them, thanks. Can't believe the other employee actually sniggered...I should have confronted him, but couldn't face it. If I see him next time I will!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now