Charles Saatchi. Oscar Pistorius, Roman Polanski, John Leslie, Mel Gibson, Charlie Sheen, J Simpson, Jimmy Savile, Chris Brown, Paul Gasgoigne,

(170 Posts)
Greythorne Tue 18-Jun-13 00:52:26

You know the way whenever we discuss DV, the menz crawl out and start the 'women commit DC just as much as men' routine?

Well, can anyone give me a list of high profile / world famous / Olympian women who have been photographed or found guilty or admitted to DV or sexual abuse?

noblegiraffe Tue 18-Jun-13 07:35:06

John Lennon is very famous and missing from your list

normaleggy Tue 18-Jun-13 07:36:21

Funny how Cheryl Cole then goes on to be a 'national treasure'

Greythorne Tue 18-Jun-13 07:38:35

noble

Yes, Lennon was a real disaster, wasn't he? I read Goldman's biography and he comes out of it as a disablist, misogynistic, entitle tear whose treatment of Cynthia, Yoko and Julian beggar belief.

ExcuseTypos Tue 18-Jun-13 07:39:06

Agree your title is libellous.

And I've never ever heard a man say that women carry out as much domestic violence as women. They must be utterly mad to think they can get away with saying that.

Greythorne Tue 18-Jun-13 07:39:12

Twat not tear

Greythorne Tue 18-Jun-13 07:39:57

Excuse

New to the feminist board? Because the argument is rife on here.

ExcuseTypos Tue 18-Jun-13 07:40:25

as much domestic violence as men

BrainzMeanzHeinz Tue 18-Jun-13 07:41:31

Apart from anything else, it may simply be a reflection of the fact that generally there are more high profile / world famous / famous Olympian men than there are women. (Which is obviously a whole different debate!)

ExcuseTypos Tue 18-Jun-13 07:41:46

Yes I amgrin.

Oh dear, that's ridiculous and maybe points to the fact that are are slightly unhinged?

Greythorne Tue 18-Jun-13 07:42:32

Baffled as to why my title is libellous!

The only questionable one is John Leslie who has not been found guilty.

Greythorne Tue 18-Jun-13 07:48:14

Meant to add: John Leslie, feel free to sue me.

ExcuseTypos Tue 18-Jun-13 07:51:31

Well, if he's not been found guilty, you can't say he has committed dv on a public forum.

Oscar P- hasn't been found guilty either, yet, so you can't say he has committed DV. It is libellous to do so.

Remember the recent case of Lord McAlpine? He has successfully sued people who tweeted things which alluded to him being a pedophile.

BrainzMeanzHeinz Tue 18-Jun-13 07:52:30

Has Oscar Pistorius been found guilty? If not, then he hasn't yet been photographed or found guilty or admitted to DV or sexual abuse, he has admitted to killing Reeva Steenkamp but in a tragic accident not as a result of DV. Time will tell.

Technically speaking, JS doesn't fit your parameters either but I don't think you can libel the dead and I don't think anyone would argue with him being evil.

Aetae Tue 18-Jun-13 07:58:09

There are two things in this, I think, and they're hard to separate because in society you tend to see both in the same people:
1- posit: men are inherently more violent because of biology (testosterone etc).
2- posit: powerful people are more likely to feel that social boundaries related to other's physical sanctity don't apply to them

Does testosterone make people violent? Yes, you can see it in steroid abusers. But not in all men and only large amounts of testosterone. And women can get testosterone spikes as well (not to mention oestrogen spikes that cause emotional outbursts).

I'm more in favour of the latter theory to explain your list OP - anyone with enough power can be a violent abusive twat, men are more often in power than women.

harryhausen Tue 18-Jun-13 07:59:20

I don't think this quite works for the OP, but Matthew Wright (presenter of the Wright Stuff Ch5) often brings up his experience of DV from his now ex-wife (when relevant to the programme). I know he can be a bit of a joker but he's been deadly serious about this. He's never gone into gory details but has chastised people for 'sniggering' at DV towards men. Of course, he would be the first to say its not as widespread as DV towards women.

However, how would we know? Most men would never tell anyone.

So, I think most people would agree. DV towards women is more prevalent , but DV towards men exists. Do we have to turn it into a battle?

Aetae Tue 18-Jun-13 07:59:34

(sorry grammar pedants, that should be others' blush)

KateCroydon Tue 18-Jun-13 08:06:25

What's Beyonce been accused of?

KayeCroydon. Greythorne was addressing an answer to the poster called BeyonceCastle, rather tham listing Beyonce as another famous violent person.

TheCrackFox Tue 18-Jun-13 08:26:40

Sean Connery.

Greythorne Tue 18-Jun-13 08:39:30

So, to recap, we have:

Rebekah Wade Brooks
Tonya Harding
Ryan Haddon

namechangeguy Tue 18-Jun-13 09:20:57

John Wayne and Humphrey Bogart were both knocked about by their wives. Who'd have thought it?

scallopsrgreat Tue 18-Jun-13 09:32:46

Bing Crosby

scallopsrgreat Tue 18-Jun-13 09:34:38

Nicholas Cage

Greythorne Tue 18-Jun-13 09:36:48

And a quick google serach throws up:

Edward Furlong (Terminator 2 actor): jailed for attacking his wife in LAX airport

Ike Turner

Phil Spector

Nicolas Cage

And for those citing Pistorius's ongoing court case:

In 2009, the 26-year-old paralympian, who was the first double amputee to ever compete in the Olympics, was arrested and spent a night in jail after allegedly physically assaulting a 19-year-old girl at his house.

The girl had been asked to leave a party Oscar was hosting, and when she refused, he slammed the front door on her, incidentally catching the girl’s leg with it. The door-slamming inflicted bruises on the girl, and Oscar was initially charged with assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. The next day, the charge was reduced to common assault, and a month later prosecutors dropped the charges.

Greythorne Tue 18-Jun-13 09:37:08

cross post scallop

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now