Still upset..."I hate feminists"

(32 Posts)
Youcanringmybell Sun 26-May-13 11:41:16

I visited some distant family a week ago. We were having a pleasant meal when one of the guys comments on the education system failing young men ( i have just started working in Education).

I agreed that this does seem to be the case. He then said "That is why I hate feminists". My mouth fell open.
He launched into a tirade of vitriol against how all feminists are like Harriet Harman, they we all want men 'bred out' and that because men pay the most taxes and women need maternity leave, feminists are basically the downfall of Britain today.

I consider myself a feminist. I told him this. I also told him that in MY limited experience feminists did NOT believe in Eugenics and the control of male births and infanticide (as he implied). That mosts feminists just want not to be assaulted verbally about the size of their tits, given less pay for the same jobs and not to open a newspaper and and see yet more breasts.

This man is friendly, intelligent and works in a caring profession.
Without a mentality like his we wouldn't need a feminist movement. I wish I knew more and then could have argued his points.

LRDtheFeministDragon Sun 26-May-13 21:31:49

It is stunning me, at the moment, how many gay Tories seem to be fairly homophobic, too.

But that's another story.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 27-May-13 09:25:08

He said "actual feminists want to kill boy babies"? And the atmosphere remained nicey-nicey at the table?

Wonder what the response would have been if a similar generalusat

Honestly, I despair (not of you, OP, of this guy).

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 27-May-13 09:26:06

...if a similar generalisation had been made about a sexuali orientation or a race or a religion.

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 27-May-13 09:27:01

Oh, actual feminists?

I love how that both implies that the rest of us are somehow not actual feminists, and insults feminism.

Btw, slight tangent, but why is it that a certain type of person thinks it's a real compliment to tell you you're not a feminist? confused Like I'm going to blush, giggle, and agree?

Vegeshamwidge Mon 27-May-13 11:31:23

OP that's crazy! Did you tell him that real gay men wants to kill all girl babies and create a gay-only paradise in the UK? (No you didn't, because you're a non-crazy person)

Twibble Mon 27-May-13 14:42:15

Presumably he'd seen this quote from radfemhub.

http://fstdt.com/QuoteComment.aspx?QID=87848

A lot of similar comments were uncovered a while back by an infiltrator to the radfemhub site. I suppose he'd picked this up somewhere and used it to attack feminism generally.

Sunnywithshowers Mon 27-May-13 14:51:22

While some fems may want to kill boy babies, across the world girl babies are being killed. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now