Did the feminists burn their bras for nothing?

(92 Posts)
debssm Thu 16-May-13 08:33:08

Majority of British women would pick being a housewife over having a career

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2324926/Majority-British-women-pick-housewife-having-career.html#ixzz2TX4wzx00

WoTmania Sat 18-May-13 11:45:28

debssm I'm a SAHM too, in an ideal world DH and I would both work P/T and share the childcare, school runs etc between us but sadly work places just don't tend to be that flexible. So, no, given the choice I wouldn't stay home and be happy being a 'housewife (I'm not a housewife, I'm a SAHM) especially if we didn't have DC.

I agree with the other posters who have said that if you did the same survey on men the answer would probably be similar.

GoblinGranny Sat 18-May-13 07:58:07

'In a recent poll of 1,582 women aged 25 and over, all of whom were in a relationship and in full time employment, 62 per cent admitted they secretly wished to be a housewife rather than have a career.'

That's an easy fix then. All you have to do is...

Carry out another survey of 1,582 men aged 25 and over, all of whom are in a relationship and in full time employment. Making sure that all the variables are controlled and the gender is the only difference.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 18-May-13 07:24:18

<burns tenner instead, fewer toxins and cheaper>

EldritchCleavage Fri 17-May-13 16:16:53

Oh, quite.

And who can afford to burn bras, anyway? They're a shocking price. (EC channels grandmother and misses point of bra-burning entirely).

namechangeguy Fri 17-May-13 16:13:02

If feminism is about equality between men and women, it wont fix those problems will it, Eldritch? All it will mean is that poor women will have the same shitty end of the stick as poor men, rich women will will be CEO's, and the rest of us will be paying all the tax wink

EldritchCleavage Fri 17-May-13 16:03:21

Feminism is about so much more than choice though. And having choices is still broadly restricted to certain social classes and/or income groups.

namechangeguy Fri 17-May-13 16:02:59

Nobody likes to referred to as a homogenous block - women, feminists, men, whoever. It does happen though. Then people get prissy - 'it's obvious I didn't mean all women/men/fruit pastilles, just the orange ones' is the usual retort.

PromQueenWithin Fri 17-May-13 15:48:31

You. Will. Be. Assimilated.

Sunnywithshowers Fri 17-May-13 15:36:19

justme all one homogenous block, apparently. Like the borg.

justmeunderanothername Fri 17-May-13 15:18:08

"he thing that annoys me about current feminism is that they seemingly despise other women who make different choices to them"

Wow. What are 'current feminists' like?

PMSL at mycelebrityfashion.co.uk grin grin is this really really for real?

Do people actually look at stuff like this?

Feminists didn't burn their bras BTW. Urban myth.

justmeunderanothername Fri 17-May-13 15:16:58

ps - I think the QI book has a bit in it about the bra burning and that actually no one did burn their bras. here's what Snopes says.

justmeunderanothername Fri 17-May-13 15:15:02

"Being a SAHM is not being financially dependent on your husband, it just means that one of you is doing the childcare"

well... in many cases the stay at home person DOES end up being financially dependent on their partner. It can cause problems, specially if either of the two gets resentful or if the working person is some kind of tyrant or if they are abusive or if the couple hasn't properly discussed how things will operate.

Plus, does being a SAHP mean you do ALL the childcare? I think that's a bit wrong.

If you asked me I would say I would rather be rich enough to not work and stay at home with my son than survive on one poor wage. However, I know that all the riches in the world wouldn't prepare me or the tedious day in day out childcare that i would end up doing and the resentment I would feel towards my husband for having a life outside of the home.

TeiTetua Fri 17-May-13 15:10:31

Oh well, if you want to be pedantic, nobody burned any bras. It was a journalist's fabrication to make a more interesting story.

But I think the real topic (if one removes journalists' additions that make the story look more interesting, like references to the fictional bra-burners) might be "Did the militant phase of feminism have such minimal results that a lot of women wish they could be housewives?"

And since it's the Daily Mail, I have the expectation that after starting off with a teasing reference to a mythical event, it will not improve.

VerySmallSqueak Fri 17-May-13 14:56:13

Not clicking on it.

just wanted to wonder about the thread title.
Did 'the' feminists burn their bras.

As if there was just one small group of feminists consigned to the 'his'tory books.

It's a peculiar way to look at things.

Just struck me that's all.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 16-May-13 23:06:59

Unacceptable, that was Eleanor Roosevelt I think.

NiceTabard Thu 16-May-13 20:51:10

"In a recent poll of 1,582 women aged 25 and over, all of whom were in a relationship and in full time employment, 62 per cent admitted they secretly wished to be a housewife rather than have a career.

When it comes to being financially independent, 78 per cent of the women said that they wouldn't be bothered if they had to rely on their partner for money."

So the people asked didn't necessarily have children.
I think they should have asked men as well grin I bet they would get a similar result.

NiceTabard Thu 16-May-13 20:48:55

Given the choice, I would choose to work full time (assuming it wasn't the most horrible job in the world)
Given the choice, DH would choose to stay at home and do the school run and bake and stuff.

Take that, DM grin

PromQueenWithin Thu 16-May-13 17:20:51

Yep, the DM is all about the protecting of the privilege. Whether they realise this and are really cynical about it, or whether they're just a bit stupid and inconsistent I don't know. I also don't know which is worse.

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 16-May-13 17:11:50

by all accounts (the DM again) physically strong men are more likely to vote right wing, not quite sure what went wrong with Govey, Cammy and Ossy

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 16-May-13 17:09:33

Prom do you know what, thats almost what it makes you think isn't it. How odd because I'm sure they don't and have no interest in pitting women against each other so that the menz can get on with the important stuff like ruining the country and such like

Ooh, I know this one OP!

No they didn't

HTH

grimbletart Thu 16-May-13 16:15:31

THERhubarb: yup, I know how the system works, having spent a lifetime first in the media and then in communications.

A lot of those years were spent in a research organisation whose fundraising side was always trying to do a health/medical survey to get coverage. Luckily as a serious research organisation neither our scientists nor our communications department would touch their ideas with a ten foot pole. grin.

THERhubarb Thu 16-May-13 15:53:00

I think Mr Gove is a Daily Mail reader. After reading that study he'll probably announce a further cutback of nursery vouchers and funding because there obviously isn't the need for them.

kim147 Thu 16-May-13 15:39:06

"grimbletart - there are organisations who offer just that. They promise vital backlinks from newspapers such as the DM for a small fortune. They will then do a survey, usually through a market research company such as Toluna, the results will then be scanned for an interesting story and the press release written"

And then Mr.Gove reads them, believes them and changes education policy because of what he's read.

<Off topic but any excuse to bash Gove>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now