Feminist group ...

(20 Posts)
StickEmUpPunk Sun 05-May-13 21:58:06

A few weeks ago i shared that i went to a feminist meeting in brighton.
I decided 5 mins after i left i wouldnt go back.
I decided mainly that it was for me for a few reasons, and this was the nail in the coffin.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/brighton-feminist-collective/why-we-are-not-supporting-radfem2013/494338527287927

I dunno .... I just found the meeting a bit hippy dippy, im sure they were feminists lol but i dont thik they knew why. I could turn vegetarian tomorrow and claim i dont like animal slaughter for food, thats easy, but not know any details or background, IYKWIM.

Anyway, back to the facebook writing.

I primarily dont like the existance pf sex work and this piece plainly stated they dont want it abolished and theyd rather support the work.

Or have i read this totally wrong??

I think it's all a it fluffy for me, and so easy to pick holes.

StickEmUpPunk Sun 05-May-13 21:59:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StickEmUpPunk Sun 05-May-13 22:09:09

It says to be part of there group you agree to abide by the principles.
I assumed they were all set up, running like that sooo....

Er, we do pick on lots of things all over mn, I'm sure bfc will do nicely without me (and i believe strongly they should be allowed to continue)

Its just interesting, all the different brands of 'feminism', and all the packages they seem to come in.

StickEmUpPunk Sun 05-May-13 22:09:51

And re picking holes, i mean i just find it a bit flimsy in a way, ie if they are serious is kinda has to be water tight.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StickEmUpPunk Sun 05-May-13 22:18:21

Okayfair point. I thought - honestly - that putting something like that on the www did mean it was open for discussion.

Like, if ot was a secret meeting, and someone told me aout it after hearing i was local and a feminist, then yes no way would i then post about it.

I think i could have just posted a local group thinks this ...etc ...
Again, i only thought it was fair game as they are so open as a group, with a website and fb page.

FloraFox Mon 06-May-13 11:43:29

stick I was wondering this week if you'd gone back to this group. I don't think it's off to discuss whether or not you want to continue with this group. It's difficult to find RL groups to translate your views into action and great that you are making the effort.

kim147 Mon 06-May-13 14:21:56

The way I read it - I think they are supportive of sex worker's rights - given that sex work exists. I'm not sure if that's the same as supporting sex work.

What about the main reasons they give?

VerySmallSqueak Mon 06-May-13 14:33:37

I do think it's a shame to have a feminist/womens' group that want everyone to have full agreement on all issues (if that is what you are saying).

I would find that too prescriptive,and would prefer to take part as an autonomous woman.

VerySmallSqueak Mon 06-May-13 15:08:26

I also read this the same way as kim147 re: rights of sex workers.

StickEmUpPunk Mon 06-May-13 15:52:58

Kim - from what i gather this is correct. But it bothers me 'it exists' at all.
Is it a crqzy notion to not want it to exist at all? To see no safe way of regulating it?
That said, i do get it, i just dont happen to agree.
Very interesting you say are offering rights for the workers, this is not the same as supporting sex work. I think, if its not the same its very close.
Open to changing my mind as always.

And yes, squeak, they say by taking part you agree to abide by the principles.

Now, agreeing and abiding are 2 different things but i feel i would need to agree to abide.

Lastly, i got a lovely email from mnhq stating they had no problem with my post and hoping it will be a good discussion, wit the usual caveat if it desecends into a bunfight, they will re think.

I have no problems th them at all, i was welcomed, they were sweet, my issue is can i continue to go if i dont agree.

I also posted that particular link as i think it speaks volumes about there understanding of radfem 2013. Or rad fem in general!

kim147 Mon 06-May-13 16:19:28

Their main concerns seems to be about some of the speakers. The group is trans friendly but some of the speakers are openly transphobic (even though they might not be discussing anything to do with trans issues).

So it's their right to say why they won't be going or supporting it. Whether you agree or not is your concern - but even on here, you'll see many different views on feminism which often clash. I can imagine it would be hard to have a feminist group which supports all feminist viewpoints.

FloraFox Mon 06-May-13 17:20:13

I can see why they have a list of their principles and what they are going to campaign on. It saves having lots of arguments over and over again and let's them get on with it. I wouldn't join because I don't agree with their position on several points. Maybe there's another group stick?

Sausageeggbacon Mon 06-May-13 17:54:21

Everyone will have different views, I really wish I was closer as this group of feminists are closer to my views and I would love to be with such positive feminists. Everyone has different views on feminism but at least it is not boring. If you can't support their points of view then probably better to find a group more in line with your views.

StickEmUpPunk Mon 06-May-13 18:14:10

Okay great, thanks for replies. As long as they are not all right and i am all wrong, thats cool with me.
Its all useful learning info.

MiniTheMinx Mon 06-May-13 19:10:33

There is another group in Brighton feministbrighton.wordpress.com/ any good?

StickEmUpPunk Mon 06-May-13 19:28:29

I did see this one and or all my want to find something i was always busy on those nights!
Next one i can make, so i will go.

fortheloveofit Mon 06-May-13 19:53:07

Feminism! I would say many people are confused to the meaning. For me it means I have the right to the same opportunitise in life as a man, but shouldn't have to give up being feminine! I love make-up, handbags and shoes! But feel en-powered as a women to be an equal to my partner (who is a man) I was brought up as a strong independant woman by my parents and my partner is not threatened by this as he is also a confident man. I have found men to feel really threatened by a 'real women'. We as women need to help young women stop conforming to what society thinks a women is. I really fear for the world my daughter may grow up in! I'm going to be doing some catering at a womens festival called ' This Earth Gathering' Sounds really hippy I know but what the hell I think it will be fun. check the webste out its www.thisearthgathering.com

BasilBabyEater Thu 09-May-13 22:55:54

I wouldn't join that particular group either, because they sound like they would do my head in. grin

Hope you find the group that suits you, Stickemup

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now