Freedom of speech or should this man be censored? (triggering)

(29 Posts)
kim147 Fri 26-Apr-13 22:18:06

campusprogress.org/articles/university_of_arizona_student_tells_women_you_deserve_rape/

A male student has been promoting a message that if a women "dresses like a whore, she deserves rape".

A horrible message - one that blames victims - but he has not been disciplined by the University because he has freedom of speech.

But what about the effect of his words on rape victims?

JacqueslePeacock Sat 04-May-13 20:37:45

interestonly, do you think you may have quite badly misunderstood the point those above were making?

LastMangoInParis Sat 04-May-13 21:49:35

COunterspeech is always a much better solution than censorship.

In an ideal world, yes.
But the problem is that in a world that fetishes 'free speech' on the assumption that all 'speech' is inherently 'harmless', those who shout loudest - i.e. those who are the least vulnerable, in a very tangible, physical sense - i.e. those the most capable of intimidating/harming/silencing others and those the least capable of being intimidated/harmed/silenced are inevitably those whose speech is out there and heard. And so those people who are more vulnerable generally suffer as a result. And are accused of not speaking up for themselves.

HullMum Sun 05-May-13 05:13:23

interestonly, do you think you may have quite badly misunderstood the point those above were making?

I don't think they misunderstood. I think they are being goady.

LastMango: But in a culture where censorship is permitted on the grounds of 'hurt feelings' then it's the powerful who get to use it as a big stick to shut down criticism. So feminist critiques of religion get silenced because of the hurt given to the feelings of the religious; rich white men with lawyers get to shut down criticisms of their unequal hiring policies by BME groups because calling them racists is 'hurtful' or 'defamatory'....
Censorship is never, ever, ever beneficial to oppressed groups, it's always used against them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now