Use of the word cunt as an insult towards a male

(83 Posts)
kukeslala Wed 24-Apr-13 19:48:30

Hi

Have posted this on another thread, but very interested to read some more replies, so have decided to give myself my own thread.

I have been reading this board for a few days, and have noticed the word cunt being used to insult males.

I just dont get it?

Why use a word that describes a females vagina to insult a male.

Its not that it is classed as a swear word, its that its used to describe a female body part and then its being used in a derogatory way to insult someone- IYSWIM?

Is it being used to reclaim the word? Or just used without thinking?

Thanks

edwinamerckx Wed 24-Apr-13 21:21:14

It's a funny word. In the US, it is used as particularly hideous insult aimed almost exclusively at women. In the UK, it's aimed almost exclusively at men - although men often use it as a term of endearment and mild mockery ('you daft cunt')

Me, I prefer 'bellend'.

JustCallMeHerodina Wed 24-Apr-13 21:22:21

Not in my part of the UK. Nor any part I've lived in. confused

Odd.

'Bellend' is exclusively used by teenage boys I know.

NiceTabard Wed 24-Apr-13 21:33:50

Agree that cunt is probably considered the most shocking swearword. It's getting more commonly used though from what I see hear.

Don't forget twat which is of a theme.

I like a good swear personally, and liberally scatter my conversation with obscenity and blasphemy smile

kukeslala Wed 24-Apr-13 21:34:48

JCMHerodina

What its not the most insulting? Interesting what is?

NiceTabard Wed 24-Apr-13 21:36:00

I have always been fond of "shower of bastards" especially in work-related contexts.

Unfortunately using the word bastard in problematical from a feminist perspective.

I should probably stick to blasphemy and "effing and blinding". But that feels so limiting.

NiceTabard Wed 24-Apr-13 21:38:15

I have been in workplaces where inanimate objects have been referred to as "that cunting xyz" so would not agree it is only aimed at men.

Oh in fact here on MN there was the famous "Cunting tescos" thread.
OP it's cunts all over this site TBH, not just FWR by a long chalk.

Meglet Wed 24-Apr-13 21:41:05

I call my dishwasher / car / washing machine a cunt when they're playing up. I'm reclaiming it a bit but it's still a very satisfying swear.

Mind you cocksucker is another favourite swearword, but actual cock-sucking isn't a bad thing.

NiceTabard Wed 24-Apr-13 22:25:23

There's always something though.
Cocksucker being used as an insult is super-patriarchal. Rolling homophobia and misogyny up in one - it seems to be an insult used in the US more and at men - so the homophobia wins out there I guess.

The US is maybe more specific at who they aim swearwords at? While in UK it seems to be more of a merry free-for all.

NiceTabard Wed 24-Apr-13 22:29:33

I think that Blackadder did a lot for a well turned insult in the UK.

I like to combine to improve the overall effect.

NiceTabard Wed 24-Apr-13 22:33:39

Actually hold on a minute!

OP no you are wrong I'm afraid.

It's not the worst swearword as I just remembered I actually pulled someone up on MN the other day for calling another MNer something that I thought was rather strong. I suspected she didn't know what it meant and I was right.

The word was nonce, it is definitely miles worse than cunt, and interestingly as cunt is associated with women (due to being their genitals) nonce is associated with men (starting as it did in men's prisons).

What do you make of that?

JustCallMeHerodina Wed 24-Apr-13 22:40:05

ku - no, was replying to the post just before mine.

kukeslala Wed 24-Apr-13 23:04:02

Nicetabard
I know the word and its meanings (I think, Im going to double check), I have never heard it being used to insult someone.

kukeslala Wed 24-Apr-13 23:05:56

Yes, it is what I thought.

SconeRhymesWithGone Wed 24-Apr-13 23:08:07

It's a funny word. In the US, it is used as particularly hideous insult aimed almost exclusively at women.

I was discussing this with a friend the other day, who like me, is an American woman who has in the past lived in the UK. We were a bit surprised when we actually realized that we had never in our lives heard anyone utter the word aloud in the US.

BitBewildered Wed 24-Apr-13 23:18:14

I use cunt in the same way I use bollocks, usually. Nonce is really disgusting to me. Deeply insulting to call someone that.

tethersend Wed 24-Apr-13 23:23:05

Cunt' has a dual meaning- it means both a vagina, and a despicable person (usually male).

This does not mean that to call someone a cunt is to insult vaginas, just that the word is being used to mean the second definition; in the same way that nobody thinks that cricket is played with small, blind, flying rodents, or that anyone really believes that David Cameron's parents are unmarried.

'Cunt' is not a bad word- it's the best word for a bad thing.

kukeslala Wed 24-Apr-13 23:25:08

I think you all think Im offended by swearing, Im not at all in fact am often told I swear to much- blah.
Because I swear to much, I would use the word cunt, to really get my point across, In away fuck doesn't even any more.

I was challenging my own thought processes, after reading this board for a few days.

Nonce is a disgusting word, and have never used it or heard it as an insult, I wouldn't find it appropriate at all to use this as an insult or in a joke.

Unfortunately I cant do this now, but would be really interested to see what people would say if I was to post, my husband has just called me a cunt, or something along those lines.

Would people be just offended by the husband swearing at wife, or would they also specifically be more offended by the word used.

droopytulip Wed 24-Apr-13 23:27:53

As gender based insult words go my favourite is by far wanker which I feel is very male. Is there a female version? I do use it for all varieties of the human species but would love to expand my vocabulary.

WrenNatsworthy Wed 24-Apr-13 23:31:38

Read this: Origins of Cunt

JustCallMeHerodina Wed 24-Apr-13 23:39:57

confused

The female version of wanker is wanker. It means someone who masturbates ... which both men and women do ...

JustCallMeHerodina Wed 24-Apr-13 23:41:24

I like the 'origins of cunt' like but it's not serious, is it?

Cuneiform comes from 'wedge-shaped'.

Sunnywithshowers Wed 24-Apr-13 23:44:57

I've stopped using cunt so much to insult, as it's gendered. 'Arsehole' is gender neutral, as is arsepart (thanks person on lemon drizzle thread).

I have objections to the word vagina as it means 'sheath for a sword' i.e. a place where penises go. That irritates me beyond belief, so I don't use it except at the dr (if necessary of course, not randomly grin).

If your husband was calling you cunt or the equivalent, I'd be worried about the verbal abuse rather than the word if you see what I mean.

kukeslala Wed 24-Apr-13 23:48:03

DroopyTulip

words I've heard finger fuck, frigging, wanklette, bean flicker, but also wank is also used for a female masturbating (but you do tend to think male first).
Never really heard them used as an insult though, only to discuss the act of masturbation.

kukeslala Wed 24-Apr-13 23:51:50

Thanks Wren.

kukeslala Wed 24-Apr-13 23:53:39

Thanks Sunny,

Never heard of arsepart-lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now