Unisex Toilets

(28 Posts)
StickEmUpPunk Tue 23-Apr-13 16:32:41

Recently I went for coffee with a friend and naturally at one point needed a wee.
Went to the loo (through a door, with a row of cubicles and hand basins), came out and stood in front of a man washing his hands.

Now, my first thought was fuck, I've walked into the mens toilets. It then got weird when I realised there were other men in there, and none of them seemed to notice me.

I went out, and the sign on the door said toilet. I went and asked the baristar if they were unisex, they said yes, and this struck me as odd.

It also struck me as progessive. I mean, I didn't really mind at all, when I found out no one would laugh at me for being in the wrong loo!

They were all cubicles. So no chance of seeing an errant penis.

I share a house with a man (my husband) so I am used to sharing a loo. My flat is not a female only space.

I go to AA meetings and the centre we use for one, well it gets busy and I have also been known to use the mans loo, it's just a small lockable room with 1 loo, I usually laugh at the fact there is always wee in the loo (not flushed) but as long as there is no seat pee I sit right on it and go.
Then wash my hands, obvs.

But why do I have this niggly feeling, of 'I don't like the idea of unisex toilets'.

And I can't articulate why. Am I being 100% irrational?

Thoughts?

Dragonwoman Wed 24-Apr-13 08:02:26

I don't know why I can't pee in earshot of men but I just can't! It's not something I have concious control of. I personally wouldn't have a problem with the tampon dispenser but I know some women would. It is different from buying in a shop as you don't immediately go and use them in a shop with the sounds of unwrapping etc. Don't forget not all men are above making sexist comments in the street- some will undoubtably comment on a womans cycle if they know it. 'He's out of luck this week she's on' is a comment I've heard directed at women. Do you really want to share a public toilet with 'white van man' and his mates?

I have no wish for public unisex toilets for the simple reason that the men's always stink. Yes you sometimes get splashes on the women's seats, but I can't imagine what you'd find in the men's, judging by the smell!

As for queues at the women's - surely that's simple. It's a well-known problem and so there should be more space allocated to the women's toilets than the men's, maybe 2/3 to 1/3.

thezebrawearspurple Sat 27-Apr-13 23:54:51

I hate them, piss all over the floor and horrific stench of poo. Also hate the idea because there's no way I'd be comfortable fixing a bra or makeup in the mirror in front of strange men.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now