A really good response to the Samantha Brick madness

(31 Posts)
HotChoc10 Sat 20-Apr-13 21:16:20

I hadn't even thought about the normalised domestic abuse angle... but it is so true. So irresponsible of the DM to publish it sad

crypes Sat 20-Apr-13 21:20:40

I don't want to eat loads and loads of cake, I haven't got an eating disorder but I like keeping my figure trim because it gives me confidence.

Darkesteyes Sat 20-Apr-13 21:46:30

Ive recently started a healthy eating plan last Tuesday. I replaced loads of things with vegetables and piled my plate high. i ended up with diarrhoea. i tend to go to extremes either one way or the other.
And im not young Im staring at 40. I have 3 and half stone to lose. So if im feeling this way God knows how younger women must feel.
I do feel more in control though when i eat healthily.

Darkesteyes Sat 20-Apr-13 21:47:50

Its a fab article in the link though. I agree. Its domestic abuse.

HotChoc10 Sat 20-Apr-13 21:59:10

Samantha Brick's article wasn't about eating healthily though - she says in it that she's fainted out of hunger, that she invented the 'polo diet' where she only ate a pack of mints for a meal, but it was all okay "because she was never without a boyfriend."

Maybe the title could have been thought through a bit more!

caramelwaffle Sat 20-Apr-13 22:05:35

Having high self esteem and changing your diet, or eating less, to alter your figure or enhance your health is a good thing.

Being threatened to be left or punished within a relationship if a particular diet is not followed or unreasonable low weight is not adhered to is not a good thing.

A good blog post. Food for thought (excuse the pun)

Excuse typos.

caramelwaffle Sat 20-Apr-13 22:06:21

X post hotchoc

BOF Sat 20-Apr-13 22:13:51

That is a fantastic article, spot on. I've shared it on FB.

sunlightonthegrass Sun 21-Apr-13 10:57:02

Thanks for this. Have also shared on FB.

ExRatty Sun 21-Apr-13 11:11:43

I think she's a paid troll. I certainly don't hate her. If what she says about her life has even a passing resemblance to truth I feel desperately sorry for her.
If she genuinely feels affection for a man who will divorce her for weight gain then I am worried for her.
She looks average, very ordinary. Not very pretty or very thin. For this reason I think she is told what to write and she smears her particular crayon until the Mail say STOP.
When she was on Celebrity Big Brother she seemed normal and a little embarrassed imo

crypes Sun 21-Apr-13 11:16:59

Why say to get her back " lets eat lots and lots of cake"? What a childish and futile thing to write.

VenusRising Sun 21-Apr-13 11:26:01

I feel so sorry for her. She's obviously going to end up alienating everyone.
I also feel for her because she's been through IVF, and also because i feel its a good thing really it failed.

IMHO she's a mess.

MintyyAeroEgg Sun 21-Apr-13 11:50:13

Well I am chubby overweight fat a size 16 who never eats cake, but the cake really isn't the point, is it?

I think its a great piece and have shared on facebook.

FairPhyllis Sun 21-Apr-13 21:29:59

I don't know if I feel sorry for her or not - whereas I definitely do feel sorry for Liz Jones, who I do think is genuinely messed up - but I agree about her being a paid troll, whether she is doing it consciously or not. Her editors are more culpable imo.

Not down with cake-as-punishment though.

BOF Sun 21-Apr-13 21:34:40

I don't hate her, because that's what the Mail wants from us. But I don't see anything to admire or pity in a woman so cynical she is prepared to advance their misogynistic agenda to line her own pockets. We are being sold a pantomime with the usual cast.

BasilBabyEater Sun 21-Apr-13 23:00:55

I do feel a bit sorry for her.

She's married to that hideous bloke - imagine fucking him - he's absolutely repulsive and yet he's telling her he'd leave her if she got fat. That she fails to see the incongruity of that tells you something about how she values herself.

She's obviously got no self-esteem whatsoever and will lay open the details of her gruesome private life for money, recognition and validation. Very similar to Liz Jones actually, in fact I suspect this is a bit of succession planning on the Fail's part - she's a couple of decades younger and will slot very neatly into La Jones' spot.

Darkesteyes Sun 21-Apr-13 23:29:18

Im going to sound really horrible but i hope this IVF of hers fails.
Imagine these two passing these messages on to a daughter. (my DM did it to me so i speak from experience) Makes me shudder to think about what a daughter of theirs could be put through.
And a son could grow up thinking its ok to treat women the way his father does.
In fact he does have a son with his ex.
I vaguely remember Sam Brick writing a scathing article about his ex (i think it was for Grazia) and how she was being "awkward" over contact because she was "jealous" I would say that reading between the lines now that the ex was probably incredibly worried about the role model that father was presenting to son.

DaffodilAdams Mon 22-Apr-13 07:20:12

Belle jar are great. If you look at their contributors they are all young which is exciting for feminism.

This is a really good article. I am with Basil, imagine living with a man like that. Your world view of what is "normal" would definitely be skewed.

ZZZenagain Mon 22-Apr-13 07:30:30

SB's articles are obviously designedcto be controversial. I doubt there is much truth in them. I have never felt attracted to her dh or her lifestyle, so her advice on how to angle a man like hers just isn't interesting. So much of what she says is obviously made up. No boyfriend reminded her constantly that you can never be too rich nor too thin. That never happened. If she really wants to make herself into a media buffoon, let her.

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 22-Apr-13 07:31:57

I couldn't agree more with the linked article. I actually feel quite sad for Samantha brick if that's what she thinks is a healthy loving relationship is she missing out, but the cynic in me doesn't quite believe that her husband is really like that- I wonder if he knows what a tosser he's being painted as?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 22-Apr-13 07:40:41

Crypes,I think the writer is saying "cake as a circle of hell for SB herself" just because of what SB wrote - if SB had said "not wearing make up is unfeminine", the circle of hell would be full of locked make up boxes.

She's not saying we should all eat cake to get SB back.

Ledkr Mon 22-Apr-13 07:44:33

I also feel a bit sorry for her. She seems driven by the desire to keep her man. A man who quite frankly is overweight himself and certainly no oil painting. He's clearly controlling her for fear she will see him for what he really is.
I need to lose some weight but totally for myself. I have some lovely clothes I'd line to wear again and that's as comicated as it gets.
I've never been the striving for perfection type but then again I've never felt a man completed my being.

MiniTheMinx Mon 22-Apr-13 11:18:54

I think she is deluded almost to the point of mental illness. It isn't just self respect or self confidence she lacks but a sense of reality. She has no self awareness and she lacks insight into her own motivations and those of others. Whilst the mail pays her to write this sexist bile, she doesn't achieve for them what they want. Its a waste of their money. If they want to encourage women towards enforced femininity, they are failing. She is ridiculed and she is fast becoming a hate figure.She is more likely to sign post women towards feminism than to encourage them to think modelling their lives on her will bring happiness. I say keep it up poor deluded lamb.

If she is a poster girl for performing femininity then it's a sales strategy that is bound to fail.

As for dieting, like Brick who has nothing better than to write trash, wouldn't be better to get busy and get fit rather than stop eating. She might achieve more and lose weight if she put down the pen and took up hiking.

Darkesteyes Mon 22-Apr-13 17:24:27

I pasted my remark from this thread at 23.29 on to the Chat thread about SB on This Morning and got a deletion.
Am shocked because i would have thought that a parenting site would care about how INCREDIBLY damaging having a mother with these attitudes could be to a child. I WAS that child so i did not make these remarks about IVF and Sam Brick lightly.

DoctorAnge Mon 22-Apr-13 17:33:24

That really is a great article.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now