British Grandmother sentenced to death - not woman but Grandmother

(14 Posts)
dublinrose37 Thu 18-Apr-13 11:36:36

I took it as a way of making her seem harmless, grannies evoke images of little defenseless old women to most people. You don't think of a drugs mule thats for sure. The idea of a granny facing a death sentence in a foreign jail is quite hard to take in if you don't read the story.

badguider Thu 18-Apr-13 11:19:35

I think it's a way of trying to paint her as older, respectable and 'normal'.

Though obviously it's relatively easy to have a child and have that child have a child without being either very old, at all respectable or at all normal!

Doesn't bear thinking what they would have used if she'd been the age she is with no children at all - aging non-conformist hippy??? grin

quietlysuggests Thu 18-Apr-13 11:12:05

I dont think its exclusive to this case or indeed to women.
I always notice when they say "19 year old father of 2 was arrested/ killed ....." as father makes us think of settled decent family man and not feckless criminal/ drink driver.
So I think its just an attempt to humanise her.

EldritchCleavage Thu 18-Apr-13 11:09:15

It is in part reducing women to certain stock types, and in part the fact that the incongruity of what 'grandmother' conjures up to most of us with drugs and death penalty makes the story more striking. Like that old saw about 'dog bites man' not being a story, but 'man bites dog' is.

higgle Wed 17-Apr-13 16:59:33

There is an Englishman awaiting executin in another case too - he is described as a "father" in the newspaper articles I've read. I think it is mainl to add a more human angle to the stories.

thezebrawearspurple Tue 16-Apr-13 11:22:24

They emphasise 'grandmother' because it makes people think old, kindly, cake making, harmless and all sorts of positive associations that people have from their own prejudices/experience that will evoke sympathy in the reader. Using more accurate descriptions; 'drug trafficking woman', 'self pitying drug trafficker', 'irresponsible twit caught drug trafficking in Bali', 'another entitled Westerner who thought they could get away with it' wouldn't elicit the same response.

Neither do they describe her as 'former neighbour from hell' as she was according to her former neighbours as people may think that she's probably not a very nice person who is lying about drug trafficking under threat (there's no evidence of that) rather than willingly doing it for personal gain and so deserves her sentence.

mercibucket Sun 14-Apr-13 18:31:40

It is always the same 'mother' for a 50 year old with grown up children, totally irrelevant to the story.

But in this case, I imagine the defence has been laying it on thick to try and get her let off

mercibucket Sun 14-Apr-13 18:31:40

It is always the same 'mother' for a 50 year old with grown up children, totally irrelevant to the story.

But in this case, I imagine the defence has been laying it on thick to try and get her let off

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Sun 14-Apr-13 17:00:11

Hmmm, torn on this one.

I do agree overall about women being reported as mothers or grandmothers, or girlfriends or exes. It drives me round the bend.

However, in this case I think it's to play up the fact that people often assume that those caught smuggling drugs are twenty something gap-yearers. Grandmother is a shorthand for that, and I think a grandfather sentenced in similar circumstances would probably have been referred to that way.

I think this is one scenario where the word death penalty is more important than any possible mysoginy wink

TheRealFellatio Sun 14-Apr-13 16:54:55

If the man in question was a grandfather he would probably be described as such. The papers like an unusual angle on a story and the word Grandmother conjures up an image of a harmless old lady, so it gets people's attention. Although she may only be 42.

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Sun 14-Apr-13 16:53:07

Tbh I thought it was to convey her age

AssamAndDarjeeling Sun 14-Apr-13 16:52:06

Could it possibly be a case of the word 'grandmother' being more emotive than 'woman'?

Will ponder sexism angle but doesn't immediately strike me as such.

kim147 Sun 14-Apr-13 16:50:06

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/id-rather-face-firing-squad-than-stay-in-prison-says-british-grandmother-sentenced-to-death-in-bali-for-trafficking-16m-of-cocaine-8572333.html

Everytime I see this case being reported, she's always defined as "grandmother". It may be a petty thing in the whole scheme of things but you never hear "British grandfather or British father" whenever other cases are reported.

This comes back to the way women are reported in the media - as mother or grandmother.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20554942

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now