BBC breakfaat - report on Ugly Mugs Scheme

(4 Posts)
StickEmUpPunk Thu 11-Apr-13 13:02:52

I also saw this and do support it. I do know sex workers need support at this time but it is my view the need should not be there in the first place. We should be working towards a way of stamping out the 'need' for prostitutes.

Reading a crappy magazine article (the magazine was, not the article) actually had a 23 year old man with his face on it saying he finds buying sex easier than pulling a girl out clubbing.
I know this is not the average 'buyer' but it made me sick.

All of the women in the article were driven to sex work because of drug use. As an addict myself (albeit alcoholic), I also believe if this was better dealt with it would help too.

It was a far cry from the message we normally get saying it's a choice and empowering.

I just want to know who the fuck 'needs sex' so much they are driven to this kind of 'purchase' to get it.

WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 11-Apr-13 09:21:40

Great scheme, and also applies to male and transgender sex workers at risk too.

But if there is a greater benefit that other people may not have foreseen then it's a win win IMO.

WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 11-Apr-13 09:20:10

You are correct, as most level headed people would agree.

But there is an amazing amount of prejudice out there, and presumably they are trying to appeal to the "general" public and feel they have to take narrow minded people into account. People who would think a sex worker was a sub class and not a real person.

I suppose some people will think that a sex worker perhaps acknowledges there is more risk to their safety when they put themselves into dangerous situations knowingly, but perhaps a member of the public accidentally doing the same i.e. waking through an area and being mistaken for a sex worker would be more "innocent"?

Not saying I agree, just trying to understand how other people may think.

mysterymeg Thu 11-Apr-13 08:24:21

The ugly mugs scheme is a method of reporting dangerous punters and attacks on sex workers.

Report this morning talking about how it's actually helping reduce crime against the "general public". All important and good stuff but some of tge soundbites from experts and the investigators made me feel uncomfortable as there seemed to be a feeling that if it was only protecting sex workers it wouldn't be as valuable. Implication seemed to also be that tge data was only being analysed in as much detail as there was a benefit to wider society.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive but I think protecting a sex worker is just as valuable as protecting a "normal" citizen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now