Think I offended the MIL

(35 Posts)

You know how sometimes you just forget that other people don't hang out on here and think the same things, on occasion?

I am going to get myself in trouble grin

We are going on a self-catering holiday soon with lots of the in-laws (don't ask, it was not my idea) MIL rang me this week to tell me her latest plan. Apparently, when we get there, all the women are going to go to the supermarket to stock up for the week.

I said Bloody hell, where are we going on holiday, to the 1950's?

Ooops. And I will have no internet while we are there and she will drive me bonkers. <breathe> If anyone else has some verbal diarrhoea stories to share then please do.

Well yes, he is a pretty decent human being actually and perfectly able to supervise the children even without having any ovaries shock grin

In fact he is out with the DCs now and I have no idea what they are doing.

I might make myself some MIL bingo cards to keep myself amused while we are away. She reads the Mail and has a 'thing' about benefits - she wouldn't last 5 minutes on MN. I think I need to see it as a challenge.

Anniegetyourgun Sat 06-Apr-13 13:48:46

Ironing, definitely, I'm sure they can manage that. My dad was the original Red-Blooded Man's Man (in his eyes at least) but he was bloody good at ironing.

Basically, no good ever comes of going on holiday with MILs, even lovely ones. Faking illness looks like the only solution.

buttercrumble Sat 06-Apr-13 14:15:01

Sounds horrendous

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 06-Apr-13 14:35:10

Like the bingo idea!

bigTillyMint Sat 06-Apr-13 14:40:28

OP, love your use of the MIL and the 1950's commentgrin

Can't believe she's planning the shopping trip when it's not for 8weeksshock

ashesgirl Sat 06-Apr-13 20:58:16

Oh gawd, how awful. Reminds me of my MIL who thinks we should go clothes shopping together as a "girls'" treat.

Hmm, I'm not the ideal DIL for her, methinks confused

"Basically, no good ever comes of going on holiday with MILs, even lovely ones."

Rubbish.

orangeandlemons Tue 09-Apr-13 21:27:17

Wear a strap on and sit with the men when the 'girls go shopping'. I would just not go deliberately, making it obvious why. Then I would go with dh. But I'm an awkward cow!

TeiTetua Wed 10-Apr-13 01:37:44

Tell them that if it's a question of recreational shopping, you claim conscientious objector status.

Andro Wed 10-Apr-13 14:52:29

MoaningMingeWhingesAgain - you don't need chicken pox, you just need a couple of spoons full of syrup of figs/a large serving or 2 of prune juice. Oh dear! I think it would be a bad idea to go on hols MIL, I seem to be needing the.........<OP dashes to the bathroom complete with phone>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now