IMO votes against abortion

(52 Posts)
BabyMakesTheBellyGoRound Sat 06-Apr-13 10:09:22

In all circumstances including rape,fatal abnormalities and risk to life of the mother. They are afraid any little smidgeon of abortion will open the floodgates.
If someone could link I would be grateful as I am on my crappy useless phone.

Why are Irish women still viewed as a walking uterus,a step above the washing machine? Only last week I read where banks may ask mothers (not fathers or parent) to leave work to reduce childcare bills. A quick 'it wasn't meant like that' spin was put out shortly after but the sentiment was there. The little woman can give up her job,it wasnt that important anyway.
sad

TeiTetua Mon 08-Apr-13 15:31:11

OK, 30 years is a while. Whether they'd vote to repeal now what they passed then?? Who knows. The 25th Amendment would have made the law more stringent and it failed, but only by a tiny amount. That was only in 2002--recent enough to say it shows what the national mood is?

It's encouraging that the government says they'll address the issue by the summer. Getting this thing talked about in public and debated in the Dail is a good start. As for the doctors, it's understandable that they say they don't want a law, but if there is one, they ought to welcome it.

NiceTabard Mon 08-Apr-13 16:35:52

For sure Ireland was run by the Catholic Church up until very recently, and I'm sure the influence is still huge. The church had the govt police etc in their pockets until really recently. Not sure that saying all the laws and stuff are due to the collective free will of the citizens is entirely correct. I wouldn't claim that about the UK TBH and we haven't had such a strong external influence lately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now