"Podium girls" - cyclist pinches bottom

(51 Posts)
kim147 Mon 01-Apr-13 08:55:50
Leithlurker Mon 01-Apr-13 09:02:30

In the same way Kim that you never get dolly blokes standing with the cars or motorbikes at big races.

I wonder what happens at the end of professional female cycle races? I am pretty sure there is such a thing?

kim147 Mon 01-Apr-13 09:03:41

How do they announce the new round in female boxing?

MrSlant Mon 01-Apr-13 09:10:45

Sagan is a bit of a knob. He's an utterly brilliant cyclist who has won a lot very young so is cocky with it. I doubt he will do it again though! Love how uninterested Cancellara looks.

Podium girls are such an anachronism now, it does say they are doing away with them now in favour of 'podium people', thank goodness.

MrSlant Mon 01-Apr-13 09:12:07

Sorry, forgot to say, when I saw the thread title I immediately knew it would be Sagan. Most cyclists aren't like that!

Leithlurker Mon 01-Apr-13 09:18:07

So I had to go and look as I needed to know about female pro cycling. The first one that google offers was an american team and it was basically much the same as any others, including the all female team members showing off long tanned limbs, in I would say not overtly sexual poses, but certainly using their bodies to sell the team. Nothing undressed or even remotely undressed, but still enough flesh on show to make mere mortals quiver with anxiety about their bodies.

The link if people want to see. corynrivera.com

MrSlant Mon 01-Apr-13 09:27:03

Not sure I see a problem with anything there. You do realise they spend their entire lives either wearing super tight Lycra or skin suits which are so thin they are practically non existent. I think the women on that website are an excellent example for young women. They will eat a very healthy but large portioned diet, you can't race a bike if you don't have fuel on board and their bodies are at a peak of fitness from hard work and exercise. Perfect antidote to the Towie types in all the magazines.

Leithlurker Mon 01-Apr-13 10:05:20

I think the problem arises in two areas, one is body image. Two, would be that by choosing to look like a clothes shop, or any corporate entity they are confirming the overarching exploitation of women by the patriarchy.

EduCated Mon 01-Apr-13 12:31:34

As far as I understand the issue here isn't scantily clad cyclists, but scantily clad, well, models I suppose, used to promote the team?

TeiTetua Mon 01-Apr-13 14:26:10

This is not three people seen at their best. Fabian Cancellara is standing there looking stoically embarrassed while Podium Babe kisses him ever so chastely and Sagan does what he does. If Monty Python were still around I'd wonder if they set it all up.

badguider Mon 01-Apr-13 14:34:17

Well the sport has pretty much put those women onto the stage as purely decorative and sexual objects. To 'reward' the male winners with a kiss.

Then they are all 'shocked' when one of the cyclist treats them as an object???

Hmmm.....

ashesgirl Mon 01-Apr-13 15:57:34

So she kisses the male winner. That gives anyone else the right to pinch her arse? Am I really reading this in the FWR section? Oh it's April's Fools, of course.

specialsubject Mon 01-Apr-13 16:02:38

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ashesgirl Mon 01-Apr-13 16:06:08

Errrrrr ...

ashesgirl Mon 01-Apr-13 16:06:44

Wowsers, off to stick my head in the sand for a few hours.

nethunsreject Mon 01-Apr-13 16:08:47

Fucking hell, yeah, sure, it's really her fault. . . hmm Can't believe I'm reading that tbh!

ashesgirl Mon 01-Apr-13 16:09:37

Can we resume normal service in the FWR section please? Anyone?

ashesgirl Mon 01-Apr-13 16:09:49

Ah thanks nethuns!

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 01-Apr-13 16:11:19

I think bad guider meant that it was hypocritical of the governing body to put the podium woman in an objectified position and then be surprised when one of "their own" acted like she was an object.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 01-Apr-13 16:12:12

specialsubject, on the other hand, I think is victim blaming.

nethunsreject Mon 01-Apr-13 16:12:42

I was rather agast at specialsubject's post too though!!

ashesgirl Mon 01-Apr-13 16:14:05

Ah ok, yes I can see what you mean about badguider's post.

badguider Mon 01-Apr-13 17:11:53

Omg!!! No!! I'm not blaming the woman! I'm blaming 'cycling' as a culture and the governing body for having "podium girls" in the first place. They're not necessary and are on a par (to me) with the girls on the grid at f1 and between boxing rounds.

ashesgirl Mon 01-Apr-13 17:48:04

Gotcha badguider :-)

Perhaps this will lead to a rethink of the whole podium girl thing in sport generally. Let's hope so anyway.

specialsubject Mon 01-Apr-13 19:33:20

oops, forgot the flameproof knickers.

come on folks - if girls didn't agree to do this kind of stuff it might help it die out. Same as if women weren't prepared to starve and pout in ridiculous outfits for money, the horrific 'role models' wouldn't be there.

I didn't say she deserved a sexual assault, I said she can't expect to be treated with respect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now