Shock as it's revealed popular science website is run by a woman

(14 Posts)
Tweet2tweet Sun 05-May-13 20:12:46

I worked in a science area for the first 4 years of my career. 80% male staff. I changed industry after 4 years and was left feeling very insecure in my work life and not good enough. The environment was terrible and males were openly hostile. However it was a female boss who drove me out, she was worse than all of them. That really shocked me, I make a point of trying to develop younger females in my work now as a result. I'd hate to think anyone working with me would be made to feel the way that boss treated me. I miss being able to use that part of my brain thiugh, but at least I'm less stressed now.

Greythorne Sun 05-May-13 00:34:55

Isbella

smile

LordLurkin Mon 01-Apr-13 15:00:11

This is one of those times where I get bewildered by society as a whole. Do the majority really seem to focus on what gender a scientist is? Or what is between an experts legs?

Damned if I can work out what the fuss is. But then again that could be partly down to the fact that my school physics teacher was a woman and inspired me to love that subject. And the chemistry lecturer that really seemed to have a true passion at uni was also a woman.

Science is a subject of facts and research .... does it really matter who does what as long as its done?

IsBella Mon 01-Apr-13 14:34:56

OMG.

You mean someone we thought was a person turned out to be a woman after all?

shock

Startail Sun 31-Mar-13 16:35:14

I unbelievably sad that 20 years after I left university things haven't changed.

In fact they seem to have got worse, the anonymity of the web seems to encourage stupid sexist comments that no one would dare make to someone's face.

Neither DH nor I persuaded academic careers, we married young and 2/3 year contracts at opposite ends of the country were just a non starter when we wanted to buy a house together.

Nothing about the early years of a research career are relationship or family friendly. Apart from the constant short contracts the pay is poor and part time lecturing posts rare.

Far better to go and become an accountant or a teacher than stay in science sad

BOEUF Sun 31-Mar-13 15:57:37

I love that site- it's the most interesting thing in my newsfeed.

Kveta Sun 31-Mar-13 15:55:57

I thought she had made it quite obvious that she was the creator of IFLS, and was, shock horror, female?

I'm never sure if the casual misogyny from some of her followers is worse than the atrocious stupidity of some of the others though. Her post on National Women's Day about famous female scientists garnered some hideously sexist comments from a small number of morons, but most of her posts have comments from a few muppets who couldn't find saltwater in the sea.

Branleuse Sun 31-Mar-13 14:09:13

I've known this for ages.

EduCated Sun 31-Mar-13 13:44:56

She didn't stand up and scream 'I'M A WOMAN, FUCKERS'. She made a post about something which also pointed out she was a woman. Hardly call that a grand announcement.

It makes me sad that so many will miss the point and say things like 'ha, look a a hot woman can do science, ha Ha Ha' and completely miss the point that her looks (and indeed gender in its entirety) should be pretty fucking irrelevant.

Lessthanaballpark Sun 31-Mar-13 13:21:37

Elise is right. The amount of comments on how hot she was insane. And the article makes a good point about the photo. Seeing model women pose as scientists is so annoying. Maybe it's meant to be inspiring but it's the same old message "you can be a scientist but you still need to be pretty".

Lessthanaballpark Sun 31-Mar-13 13:09:18

EasterEggs I think you're missing the point.

Nothing to do with making a grand announcement. There shouldn't be any announcement. It should be accepted as normal. But it still isn't, as demonstrated by the surprise her followers expressed when they found out. That's the point. Science is still seen as a boy thing.

But well done on the "I'm all for women's rights, but"! Splendid! Very generous of you.

NicholasTeakozy Sun 31-Mar-13 12:59:25

I've known for about 4 weeks that the I Fucking Love Science page on Facebook is run by a woman. I wasn't in the least surprised, as my DD1 studies mathematics and physics wants a future as an astrophysicist. The only surprise for me was finding out that Elise is the only admin on a page with over 4 million 'likes'.

estereggs Sun 31-Mar-13 11:29:05

A science website is run by a woman? So what? I'm all for women having equal rights but I don't see why we need an announcement everytime a woman does something that "isn't manly". Just get on with your life.

kim147 Sun 31-Mar-13 11:20:41

www.independent.co.uk/news/science/women-love-science--what-a-surprise-8555226.html

Interesting article on the dropout rate of women in science.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now