Are women funny?

(58 Posts)
kim147 Sat 30-Mar-13 16:35:09
TheSmallClanger Sun 31-Mar-13 13:31:06

Conventional wisdom seems to think not, but the funniest people I know, in person, are all female.

notimefors Sun 31-Mar-13 14:24:37

My sisters make me laugh until I cry. Maybe that's just a sibling thing though?

notimefors Sun 31-Mar-13 14:26:09

Other than them I know plenty of funny women. I don't understand why conventional wisdom is as you say Clanger.

MrsWolowitz Sun 31-Mar-13 14:28:20

Well MN is predominantly women and I have honestly has tears running down my face from laughing so much at the wit on here.

Yes, I think women are funny.

Exhibit A - MN
Exhibit B - Dawn French. I rest my case.

The link on my phone won't work, so I don't know who the OP is referring to, but...

Exhibit C: Victoria Coren

I find someone funny when they are both intelligent and humble, regardless of their gender.

kim147 Sun 31-Mar-13 14:47:05

The series has been very good.

People on here have made me crack up. Especially on AIBU and chat.

navada Sun 31-Mar-13 14:54:14

Women are funny, but they're not great at being funny in public ( too self conscious maybe ? ) hence why there's not too many female stand ups.

slug Sun 31-Mar-13 17:07:54

I know I'm funny because when my quips and jokes down the pub are repeated by one of the men they get huge laughs.

Bue Sun 31-Mar-13 17:09:56

In person some of the funniest people I know are women, and MN leaves me in stitches on a regular basis. I can't imagine a forum full of men making me laugh until I cry. I find it puzzling that women's humour doesn't always translate into good 'public funnyness' ie on panel shows. But then you get a golden example like Amy Poehler and Tina Fey, who killed the Golden Globes and were funnier than any male awards show hosts since Billy Crystal in the early 90s.

greenhill Sun 31-Mar-13 17:33:25

In real life, women are naturally more quick witted, good at repartee and have a good line in self deprecating put downs. I laugh out loud, regularly, at stuff I see on MN. I much prefer comedy series written by women (Miranda, Absolutely Fabulous etc) or with female leads (Tamsin Grieg) and find that novels are normally quietly funny, when written by women (Sue Townsend, Fay Weldon etc) yet find a lot of male humour baffling (Terry Pratchett, Nick Hornby etc)

Yet it is often men, in work situations or down the pub, that want to foist their latest joke upon you. It seems more contrived, but can often be a sign that men want to have the spotlight, and also don't want to talk about anything personal. Maybe this is why there are more male stand up comedians, as they are likely to be more extrovert and don't take criticism to heart (ignores honourable exceptions of Bette Midler, Lily Tomlin, Kathy Lette and Ruby Wax etc)

greenhill Sun 31-Mar-13 18:06:50

Oops...Kathy Lette doesn't do stand up, she's a novelist, but appears on chat shows and is funny verbally, as well as on the page.

Hullygully Sun 31-Mar-13 18:19:56

yes

kim147 Sun 31-Mar-13 18:57:26

Has anyone listened to the link? She's a stand up discussing this. She makes a lot of the points made here.

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 31-Mar-13 19:00:19

no.

grin

flippinada Sun 31-Mar-13 19:08:54

Yes, there are loads of funny women.

I'd say that the main reason more women don't do stand up type comedy is because it's rather misogynistic, adversarial and not particularly family friendly.

And yes, I'm aware this is a massive generalisation.

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 31-Mar-13 19:09:45

Josie Long...

go and check out "the alternative comedy experience" on comedy central - hosted by none other than Bridget Christies hubby.....Stewart Lee.

flippinada Sun 31-Mar-13 19:22:05

Josie Long is ace.

Keep meaning up check out Bridget Christie but haven't yet do thank you for the link Vicar

Also recommend Shappi Korshandi and Susan Calman.

Issy Suttie also great.

Not so keen on Sarah Millican, find her a bit bland.

Love French and Saunders, both very talented.

flippinada Sun 31-Mar-13 19:24:44

And I nearly forgot Victoria Wood <slapped wrist>

TomDudgeon Sun 31-Mar-13 19:58:24

I've noticed that though both James Corden and Ruth Jones wrote Gavin and Stacey he got much more credit for it, especially nearer the beginning

piprabbit Sun 31-Mar-13 20:06:02

In no particular order:
Jo Brand.
Vicky Pepperdine.
Jennifer Saunders.
Jessica Hynes.
Olivia Coleman.
Carla Lane.
Caroline Ahern.
Miranda Hart.

Honestly funny women are everywhere, often creating and writing massively successful and entertaining series.

Sunnywithshowers Sun 31-Mar-13 20:10:22

Yes.

NuhichNuhaymuh Sun 31-Mar-13 20:11:18

Not sure there's that many funny male stand ups though. Some that I've seen on tv don't even make me smirk.

LineRunner Sun 31-Mar-13 20:15:21

slug I find that happens to me as well. smile

Funny women are funny.
Funny men are funny Tim Minchin, anyone?

I know lots of deeply unfunny men, women and children too.

I have laughed tears on MN so many times; I do think the funniness is facilitated by the anonymity and swearing. It is a interesting that many people are not as funny in person as they are online.

Having said that, a lot of professional comedians are not v funny in RL. They too need a script grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now