How do you generate enough anger to get real change?

(2 Posts)
kim147 Tue 26-Mar-13 22:41:26

I'm sure some of you know about the recent tragic death of Lucy Meadows. She was a trans teacher who was found dead last week. The media reporting of when she came out and the media reporting of her death has generated real anger and may lead to a change in media attitudes to the trans community.

It has got me thinking about the daily sexism and mysogyny and many of the spiteful articles and comments there are every day. Is it ever going to happen that they will generate enough anger to generate change? Or is that not going to happen because it's just too big a group (unlike the trans community)

I don't want this to be a trans thread. I know that trans people can be very vocal when attacked.

But it has made me think about how real change in attitudes can be achieved?

I don't know that generating anger is the only way to get 'real change'. Something that makes me slightly uncomfortable about that phrase is that it implies that more gradual changes that are hard to measure are not 'real change' - and I think they are. I think legal changes are hugely important, of course, but so are the changes in attitudes that happen over a long time.

I also think we can do with taking a leaf out of Gay Pride's book sometimes - I'm sure plenty of people were and are furious when they march, but they're also saying, 'look at us celebrating'. I think celebrating women's achievements, and feminism in general, is pretty powerful too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now