Should I force DD to be fashionable?

(56 Posts)
fuzzpig Tue 26-Mar-13 18:34:15

Recently had a comment from another mum at a birthday party (thankfully NOT in earshot of DD) saying that she was wearing a ridiculous outfit because it didn't 'go'.

Perfectly pedestrian clothes BTW, just clashing bright/pastel colours and a long sleeved top under a dress. That's the sort of thing she likes to wear. She doesn't choose what clothes I buy - I get pretty normal supermarket children's clothes - but she chooses what to wear each day.

Apparently I should be inisting that she wears coordinating clothes all the time so she doesn't look silly.

She is FIVE, by the way. She shouldn't have to worry about this, right?! Or am I being naive and setting her up for a lifetime of social problems by not choosing her clothes? confused

Schooldidi Sat 30-Mar-13 21:28:04

Freya we fit that stereotype well in our house. Dd2 chose her own clothes today and mil nearly had a fit when she saw her. Everything was spotty!! So she had purple with yellow spots on a long sleeved tshirt, then on top of that she had a white sundress with tiny multi-coloured spots, her knickers and socks were both white with spots. The only problem with her 'spotty' look was the trousers because she doesn't have any spotty trousers so she chose stripey leggings because "stripes are nearly spots". Top it off with a ladybird dressing up waistcoat, a monkey head hat, and a bright red coat, and she looked a complete state. BUT she had chosen it herself and had got herself dressed without any help, which is a big deal when you're 3 and she was so proud of herself. It would have been cruel to tell her it didn't look great.

MrsDeVere Sat 30-Mar-13 21:34:35

As long as they are warm/dry/not too hot etc
Who cares?

I am going to be absolutely honest though... I can't bear my kids looking scruffy when we go out. They often do , but it makes me very uncomfortable.
But that is linked to my childhood.

Other people's DCs? I do not judge at all unless they look neglected (as opposed to just a bit grubby).

I think this has to go both ways though. Its not right to judge a parent who dresses their child in designer wear as vain or controlling (or anything else)

BanjoPlayingTiger Sat 30-Mar-13 21:39:39

Oh FFS! 5! hmm

How utterly ridiculous.

I hate how girls are supposed to conform to fashion. My dd is 13, she mostly dresses in baggy trousers and tops. I have had people tell me she should wear more girly things. TBH, as long as she is wearing clothes that are weather appropriate I let her wear whatever.

I have been found on more than one occasion ranting in clothes departments about the lack of suitable clothing and footwear for girls who want to climb trees.

Greythorne Sun 31-Mar-13 10:53:25

I agree with MrsDV

I love dressing my DDs up in 'nicely' matching outfits but I am Northern working class and we just don't do shabby chic. I make sure tights match, hair clips match, everything is pressed. I let the odd tiara slip through from time to time smile

But I couldn't give a toss what others do. I secretly admire those kids who turn up for play dates in orange crocs, pink fairy dress, electric blue fleece and multi colored striped tights.

AllPurposeNortherner Sun 31-Mar-13 11:16:25

I let mine choose if we have time, otherwise I lay the clothes out for them. I do supply them with clothes of my choice - eg fairly practical and often vintagey - but they do choose the odd thing, mostly moshi monsters/thomas stuff tbh.

6yo DD1 had a non uniform day recently. She wore black shoes, grey and black woolly tights, black velvet dress with grey long sleeved top underneath and a denim waistcoat. She looked ace :-D

3yo DD2 mostly chooses "boy" clothes, and they suit her too. A usual outfit would be red combat trousers, thomas trainers, thomas t shirt, yellow hand knitted cardigan and a ladybird hat grin

AllPurposeNortherner Sun 31-Mar-13 11:18:10

Oh, and it might be relevant that they have very kind family who make clothes for them - black velvet dress was made by MIL, cardigan was knitted by my Nana...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now