Should I force DD to be fashionable?

(56 Posts)
fuzzpig Tue 26-Mar-13 18:34:15

Recently had a comment from another mum at a birthday party (thankfully NOT in earshot of DD) saying that she was wearing a ridiculous outfit because it didn't 'go'.

Perfectly pedestrian clothes BTW, just clashing bright/pastel colours and a long sleeved top under a dress. That's the sort of thing she likes to wear. She doesn't choose what clothes I buy - I get pretty normal supermarket children's clothes - but she chooses what to wear each day.

Apparently I should be inisting that she wears coordinating clothes all the time so she doesn't look silly.

She is FIVE, by the way. She shouldn't have to worry about this, right?! Or am I being naive and setting her up for a lifetime of social problems by not choosing her clothes? confused

At any age kids should wear what they want as long as it's appropriate for the weather and whatever they are doing. Once they get to school age then maybe the occasional bit of guidance for eg wedding, funeral, great auntie's 80th birthday or whatever, but other than that FFS it's unimportant.

Schooldidi Tue 26-Mar-13 22:01:51

Both my dds have worn 'interesting' outfits from time to time.

Dd1 has now reached an age (13) where she is starting to pay a little bit more attention to it, but she is still quite fussy that her clothes have to feel right and less interested in how they look.

Dd2 has just turned 3 and wears some right wierd and wonderful outfits because she chooses her clothes most days. So she generally opts for long sleeved top under a t shirt with jeans, but some of the colour combinations make me wince a bit. Then other days everything she wears has to 'match' in the sense that it's all pink, or all green, etc.

Wellies (with cars and buses on grin) are the footwear of choice at all times and the current favourite coat is a dressing up outfit to make her look like a ladybird hmm. If she's warm enough I don't really censor what she wears.

UnEggspectedItemInBonnetArea Tue 26-Mar-13 22:05:03

My DD is 5 and delights in the weirdest clothing combinations, it's a joy to behold. Ignore loopy woman.

Geeklover Tue 26-Mar-13 22:09:37

My dd is a bit of a clothes horse. She is almost 10 and always looks fab. Just rarely very conventional smile
When she was a toddler and started wanting to wear odd combinations or fancy dress clothes out and about I never stopped her. I do hear people saying to their dc of both sexes you can't wear that etc. but I always felt I was letting then express who they were by their choice of clothes.
Dd is starting to see pressure from other girls but she just thinks they are being silly. She likes what she likes and doesn't care if anyone else does or not.
Ds as well often dresses like he got dressed in the dark at a jumble sale and has at times gone shopping with me in a party dress or something else he thought looked or felt nice grin.
He's 7 and also doesn't give a stuff what people say. He is a hat man and has loads. He gets comments everywhere he goes in his hats and luckily all complimentary.

If they are comfortable and in weather activity appropriate clothing who am I to argue with them.

Yardarm Tue 26-Mar-13 22:32:48

I find much fashionable clothing for girls to be both impractical for playing and often also inappropriate for their age. I know there will be more pressure later to dress in a more 'grown up' way but for now I am very glad that my 7yo DD chooses boys trousers, shorts etc (but perhaps with a slightly more girlish top) and faces no pressure from friends (or their mums!) to dress in any other way. Perhaps that's because many of them have older brothers rather than sisters!

Beamur Tue 26-Mar-13 22:39:05

I like my DD to be dressed in nice clothes and fairly matching outfits - but she has some choice too, after all she is a person - not my accessory!
Funnily enough, where I live artful clashing is way more fashionable than matchy matchy.
A friend of mine has a little girl with very strong ideas about what she will and won't wear and went through a phase where everything had to be stripy (and then it was spotty, or a certain colour) and everything she wore - including undies had to conform to that - and came up with some very interesting outfits!

glub Tue 26-Mar-13 23:03:40

you are joking aren't you? like you said, she is 5! who cares as long as she can move and likes it herself. if she's anything like my daughter she will have her own ideas about what she wants to wear - she needn't wear what some old silly woman thinks is right.

margot1962 Wed 27-Mar-13 02:50:18

She's 5! Get a grip on this! Tell her that what you achieve (good at reading)is more important than how you look.

sashh Wed 27-Mar-13 08:06:17

At 5 a spiderman costume worn with glittery wellies and a blue tutu is a good look.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 27-Mar-13 08:15:15

Who makes that kind of comment about a five year old?

TrinityRhino Wed 27-Mar-13 08:28:22

that woman is not only rude but quite crazy....actually very crazy

noblegiraffe Wed 27-Mar-13 08:38:59

Oh god, is there such thing as fashion for kids? Is Peppa Pig so last season? Is my DS in dinosaurs when he should be in diggers? The shame!

SofiaAmes Wed 27-Mar-13 08:39:25

My dd has been picking her own outfits and dressing herself since she was 2. She's been designing and making her own outfits since she was 7. I used to get comments from other parents periodically about her clothes not matching. Well, now she is 10 and the other girls and adults all look to her for fashion advice and strangers stop her in the street to compliment her outfits. I can guarantee you that not one of her outfits ever "matched" in a conventional way.
There was the one day in 3rd grade where she had convinced her entire year that wearing deflated red bouncy balls at a rakish angle on your head was the latest style in hats....And the day that a mum texted me to say how hip my dd looked and where did i get her clothes from...I didn't have the heart to tell her that they were hand-me-downs from her dd, just worn in a slightly more unique combination.

Toasttoppers Wed 27-Mar-13 08:40:29

My mother used to dress me up as a child, I am not fashionable at all as an adult.

extracrunchy Wed 27-Mar-13 08:40:42

Ridiculous. And actually quite sad...

SatsukiKusukabe Wed 27-Mar-13 14:44:22

will out myself here.. basically I dress dd myself, we live in area with extreme weather and a 2 year old doesn't get the option of deciding her clothes for that reason. However she "accessorises" herself on her own. She has a collection of probably hundred Mardi grass type beads dozens of hats and sunglasses and shoes to choose from. I live near a couple pretty amazing charity shops and occasionally go overboard... inevitably she wears her dragon wellies or red sparkly shoes firefighters helmet or Easter bonnet type thingAnd a couple of suprisingly well color coordinated beads. She then tops off her look with putting her sunglasses on sticking both thumbs up and saying aaaay like the Fonz. I find it hilarious I realize it's totally unacceptable or so I have read time to time on mumsnet... but I love it. Ds is still little but been practicing putting in hats.

Bue Wed 27-Mar-13 15:44:35

Stargirl shock Dressing fashionably at six months?! "Outfits" for babies would have no place in my life. Who can be bothered with the faff?

TheSmallClanger Wed 27-Mar-13 16:01:05

If you can't wear crazy clashing clothes at 5, when can you wear them?

DD had some co-ordinating outfits and a lot of thrown-together ones at that age, and she did go through a phase of liking to wear layers - skirt or dress over trousers, with a cardi or jumper and perhaps a scarf. She wasn't the only one. Lots of the little girls round here wore/wear colourful wellies as their main footwear.

OBface Wed 27-Mar-13 16:06:57

How bloody depressing.

OP take no notice

WoTmania Thu 28-Mar-13 11:03:31

NO is the short answer.
Let her wear what she wants and experiment and gain confidence in the way she looks and develop her 'own style'.
My mum and I clashed for years (and years and years and years and years and years) because she tried to get me to conform to a certain way of dressing that just wasn't me. We get along a lot better now I'm in my 30s and she leaves me alone mostly.

I was told off for letting ds 2 wear pink when he was 3! He had pink wellies, tshirts, hoodies. My reasoning was piccasso had a blue phase.... He's turned out ok. Likes pink, won't wear it though! The woman's a loon! Ignore!

infamouspoo Sat 30-Mar-13 18:25:26

No. Fashion is a way to make women buy more stuff than they need and feel insecure. Why make them start at 5?

InNeedOfBrandy Sat 30-Mar-13 18:30:08

Oh I am the complete opposite of all of you on this thread. I always have my dc looking nice, it might be head to toe primarni (well actually no I hate primark but they have had the odd thing) but they always match and look nice. EG I wouldn't let dd wear her pink trainers with red trousers, why because it looks awful.

FreyaSnow Sat 30-Mar-13 20:29:07

I agree with the poster who mentioned 'artfully clashing' as being a fashion. It is a sterotypical look for a middle class child from a certain sort of family - lots of bright colours, wellies, skirts over trousers, long tops under dresses and tshirts, boys with long hair, knitted striped jumpers etc.

If I go to my local park, half the kids in the playground are dressed like this.

chipmonkey Sat 30-Mar-13 20:44:50

How rude of her to comment!

I remember one of ds2's friends aged 3 coming to a party in a pink top, orange trousers and wellies!grin The Dad was at pains to explain that it was her own choice of clothing, not his, but to be fair, I was more worried about where all the friends were at any given time, rather than what they were wearing. Mind you, she was easy to find!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now